Stobhill Hospital

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Stobhill Hospital

Postby RDR » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:05 pm

Who is this? (Clue: its related to Stobhill Hospital)

He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Stobhill Hospital

Postby RDR » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:07 pm

dazza wrote:
RDR wrote:Prior to the recent closure of the old Main Hospital at Stobhill a booklet was produced about the history of the site. I'm going to try and get a copy (as I'm based there) but wondered if Dazza already had one?

I do indeed - I actually have two copies here. It's called Stobhill Hospital: Past, Present & Future. I've also got 'Stobhill Hospital: The First Seventy Years', which was published in 1971.

Cover of the aforementioned Stobhill booklet.

He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Stobhill Hospital

Postby dazza » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:46 pm

RDR wrote:Who is this? (Clue: its related to Stobhill Hospital)

I've never seen that woman in my life. At a guess I would say Marion Reid.

Here's the 1971 Stobhill book:

dazza
-
-

Stobhill Hospital

Postby RDR » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:04 pm

dazza wrote:
RDR wrote:Wee teaser for Dazza. Who is this? (Clue: its related to Stobhill Hospital)

I've never seen that woman in my life. At a guess I would say Marion Reid.

Here's the 1971 Stobhill book:

Nice, I have seen that.
It is Lady Reid of Belmont (is that Marion Reid?) who I am told is the wife of the benefactor who granted the lands that much of Stobhill is built on.
From a painting that is in one of the buildings at Stobhill, and originally hanging in Belmont House.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Stobhill Hospital

Postby dazza » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:49 pm

dazza wrote:At a guess I would say Marion Reid.

RDR wrote:It is Lady Reid of Belmont (is that Marion Reid?)

Yes, it's the same person.

Belmont House was bequeathed to the hospital after the death of Sir Hugh Reid in 1935 on the understanding that it would become 'The Marion Reid Home for Children' in memory of his late wife. However, I think it was mostly used as a training school and nurses home, and it was demolished in 1986.

I've marked its location here:

Speaking of demolition... Do you know when they are going to start knocking down the old buildings at Stobhill?
dazza
-
-

Stobhill Hospital

Postby RDR » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:40 pm

dazza wrote:
dazza wrote:At a guess I would say Marion Reid.

RDR wrote:It is Lady Reid of Belmont (is that Marion Reid?)

Yes, it's the same person.

Belmont House was bequeathed to the hospital after the death of Sir Hugh Reid in 1935 on the understanding that it would become 'The Marion Reid Home for Children' in memory of his late wife. However, I think it was mostly used as a training school and nurses home, and it was demolished in 1986.

I've marked its location here:

Speaking of demolition... Do you know when they are going to start knocking down the old buildings at Stobhill?

Funnily enough that is roughly where Skye House is now, the child and adolescent mental health unit. So I suppose there is still a connection with children.

No news on the demolition of the old buildings yet. Some parts are still used, for non-patient use, notably the old management building where facilities are still using some of the offices and where the switchboard once was.
I will ask about and see if anyone knows what plans might be fro the demolition much pretty much everything is focused on the new South build at the moment.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Stobhill Hospital

Postby dazza » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:55 pm

According to the plans, they don't intend to retain very much: https://publicaccess.glasgow.gov.uk/onl ... MSLEXW4000

RDR wrote:Some parts are still used, for non-patient use, notably the old management building where facilities are still using some of the offices and where the switchboard once was.

Is that the building near the former entrance to the old hospital or is it the original mortuary tucked away at the back of the site?
dazza
-
-

Stobhill Hospital

Postby RDR » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:07 pm

dazza wrote:According to the plans, they don't intend to retain very much: https://publicaccess.glasgow.gov.uk/onl ... MSLEXW4000

RDR wrote:Some parts are still used, for non-patient use, notably the old management building where facilities are still using some of the offices and where the switchboard once was.

Is that the building near the former entrance to the old hospital or is it the original mortuary tucked away at the back of the site?

Yes, it is the former main entrance to the old hospital. I wish I had taken some pictures in it when I used to go in it. The former Boardroom was very nice.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Stobhill Hospital

Postby dazza » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:40 pm

RDR wrote:I wish I had taken some pictures in it when I used to go in it. The former Boardroom was very nice.

I never took one of the boardroom, but...

dazza
-
-

Postby kirstymaclaren » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:07 am

Fossil wrote:Stobhill Hospital

It looks so similar to Ruchill! Is the tall tower in the centre still standing at Stobhill?
kirstymaclaren
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby sandabound » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:57 pm

Yes Kirsty the clock towers still there
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:40 pm

dazza wrote:
RDR wrote:I wish I had taken some pictures in it when I used to go in it. The former Boardroom was very nice.

I never took one of the boardroom, but...

The Boardroom corridor!
The Boardroom door is on the left of the picture.
I was once interviewed for my job in there, after yet another reorganisation.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:05 pm

From WWI

dazza
-
-

Postby dazza » Tue May 12, 2015 9:18 pm

Nice to see the poor neglected clock in the Stobhill tower has been repaired and set to the correct time:

https://twitter.com/bluegav68/status/58 ... 40?lang=en

dazza
-
-

Postby RDR » Tue May 12, 2015 10:40 pm

dazza wrote:Nice to see the poor neglected clock in the Stobhill tower has been repaired and set to the correct time:

https://twitter.com/bluegav68/status/58 ... 40?lang=en

(Well, one face is still incorrect, but hey ho, it's better than nothing).

very nice as usual Dazza.
Have to say you get the feeling up there that they would happily let the older buildings fall down and I mean the ones that are still occupied.
All the more ironic given the problems they have had with the brand new ones.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects