Clyde Iron Works and Clyde Rows

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Clyde Iron Works and Clyde Rows

Postby Anorak » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:08 pm

Mud Row would have been situated at what is now the very end of the M74 motorway.

Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Rena24 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi there,
I'm so pleased I've stumbled across this thread as I too am researching my dad's grandmother's MacKenzie family who worked and lived In Clyde Iron Works in the 1800's and from a recent discovery in Tollcross cemetery it looks like they followed in the footsteps of others, the earliest stating Donald Mackenzie, late clerk at Clyde iron works died 1822. The map is a bit awkward to navigate so I didn't actually find the two streets named on the 1841 and 1851 census (Clyde Ironworks and then just noted as Clyde).

Happy New Year everyone.

Rena
Rena24
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby HenryMachon » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Hia JBC,
Would be obliged if you can get me a copy of The street names in Clyde Rows.My Father lived there ,as did my uncles & aunts around 1920/25.Thanx.

Henry Machon
HenryMachon
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby MAF » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:51 pm

I was recently in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, looking for maps ca. 1915 of the London Road area, north of Clyde Iron Works. Librarians were very helpful. YES! I saw maps dated 1898, 1953 and 1962 showing the house "Dunclutha" where Walter and Agnes Buchanan lived ca. 1915-1945 at 2130 London Road. I visited the site. It is now torn down, overgrown, and looks ripe for commercial development just north of where the extension to the A74 is under construction. and south of London Road. The highway construction itself, as near as I could tell, is right over where the workers' houses were. You can see it easily on Google maps. The Buchanans lived in the Rows at Clyde Terrace in 1889 and Clyde Square in 1882 when their children Joseph and Meg were born, but moved up to "Dunclutha" between then and 1915 when my uncle Moses Forman, a student at the University, and then a soldier, stayed with them. Walter was a clerk at the iron works. Dunclutha and the Clyde houses are just outside the city of Glasgow limits, so on edges of the best maps.

For those of you looking up records in "Scotlandspeople" (a great site), the Clyde Rows (including Mud Row) are in the books of "Western District" of "Old Monkland" in the County of Lanark.

South of the highway construction, the site of the mill itself and an old peeling sign "British Steel" on a gatehouse can be seen. Whoever owns it is trying to lease it as industrial space, not very successfully it appears. It looks like an archaeological site.
MAF
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby MAF » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:04 pm

JBC wrote:Just to say that, after a long time searching, I got hold of a 1920s street map of the Carmyle/Tollcross/Auchenshuggle area which shows Clyde Rows, with its streets named. If anyone's interested, copies could be made available.

Does this map show the house "Dunclutha" named?

It seems clear that the Clyde Rows were south of the London Road, but the posted messages are unclear wether they were east or west of Causewayside Street. Which is it? There is currently an old wall running south of London road, on the West side of what would have been the extension of Causewayside Street to the South.
MAF
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby eileenfinlayson » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:29 pm

Clyde Iron works.

Hi Maf.

Is it possible for you to send me a copy of your map of the Clyde Iron Works Row Houses? My Granny was born there as was her mother in the 1800's. My Great Grandparents also lived and worked at the Clyde Iron Works, as did a great number of their families.
I have only just discovered that there were row houses there for the workers.
I live in Australia and have never visited Glasgow so it is all a bit new to me.

Any help you an give me is greatly appreciated.
Eileen.
eileenfinlayson
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Bighaich47 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:48 am

coleraine wrote:I have been looking for information ,on the Clyde Rows, My father was born there in Rail row n the family also
lived in Dandy row, does anyone remember the Grahams, Hugh and Sarah, and their family,John Hugh, William
Robert, Mary and lizzie, they moved to Inzevar Terrace in Carmyle about 1930
I would like to find the exact locationof the Clyde Rows.

Hi on The Clyde Raws, my dad and myancestors lived there also, I think correct me ifamwrond the Dandy Row wasthere also. myGrandparents moved from theraws to Inzievar Terrace too. always wondered if anyone has old pics of the clyde rows etc & pics ofsome of the people who livedthere. yes this site is fantastic too....

Harry.
Bighaich47
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Bighaich47 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:57 am

Hi Jbc, the Clyde Raws was where my grandparents and other rellies lived before moving to Inzievar, Cross St., too, I would be indebted to you if you could share what you have on the raws with me, really love to see what it looked like and the conditions people lived in in those days. Thanking you,

Harry
Bighaich47
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Bighaich47 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:30 am

Hi is this post closed now or can a get info aboutthe clyde village and raws. Thanx
Bighaich47
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects