Clyde Iron Works and Clyde Rows

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Clyde Iron Works and Clyde Rows

Postby JBC » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:20 pm

Walking along the London Road to work in the mornings, and back home in the evenings, I've seen for some time now that site development work is being carried out on the site of the old ironworkers' rows, across the road from Fullarton Filling Station, at Auchenshuggle. I think the site is going to become a small industrial estate.

The workers' houses which used to be down there went by a few names. Sometimes they were referred to as Clyde Ironworks Village, or even just Clyde Ironworks, but most often they were referred to as Clyde Rows, even though Clyde Row itself was only one of the rows. There was Rail Row, too, and Dandy Row, and the poetically-named Brick Kiln Row. (Nearby, on the other side of Fullarton Road, there was Mud Row - who thought up these names? - and there was also a row at the foot of Causewayside Street, but those were not part of Clyde Rows, though the workers they housed also worked at Clyde Ironworks.)

Clyde Rows were demolished around 1930, and the people were re-housed in nearby Tollcross and in Carmyle. I believe the other rows went around the same time.

The site of Clyde Rows lay empty and unused until now. I took a stroll down there a few years ago, but the only trace of what was once there was a large stone floor which I believe must have been the floor of the Fireclay Works - or brick kiln - which was once down there. It won't be there for much longer, if it hasn't already gone.

I'm very interested in Clyde Rows because my people came from there. It's been nothing but an empty site for 75 years, so I suppose it's about time something was done with it, but, now that I see it being dug up by contractors, I almost feel that they're desecrating a sacred site. Silly, but there we are.

Is there anyone else out there who has an interest in the old rows - including Mud Row and Causewayside Street - and their people? And does anyone have a map of the rows, with the names of them on it? I've never been able to find one. I've got maps showing the location of the buildings, but no names, so I don't know which row was which.
JBC
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Clyde Iron Works and Clyde Rows

Postby coleraine » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:22 am

I have been looking for information ,on the Clyde Rows, My father was born there in Rail row n the family also
lived in Dandy row, does anyone remember the Grahams, Hugh and Sarah, and their family,John Hugh, William
Robert, Mary and lizzie, they moved to Inzevar Terrace in Carmyle about 1930
I would like to find the exact locationof the Clyde Rows.
coleraine
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby JBC » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:17 pm

Coleraine: I've sent a private message to you - hope it gets to you - giving you my e-mail address and inviting you to contact me. I have a good deal of information on Clyde Rows to pass on, including lists of householders in the last years of the rows - around 1929 - which I got through examining Old Monkland parish records in the Scottish Records Office, in Edinburgh.

The location of the rows, incidentally, was just off London Road at Auchenshuggle, directly opposite where the Fullarton Petrol Station is today.
JBC
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby JBC » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:03 pm

Just to say that, after a long time searching, I got hold of a 1920s street map of the Carmyle/Tollcross/Auchenshuggle area which shows Clyde Rows, with its streets named. If anyone's interested, copies could be made available.
JBC
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby cumbo » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:32 pm

JBC i have heard about these houses and had always thought that they were the ones at Farne Cross,(I'm sure JR will supply a Photograph)Anyone know what the 3 rows of cottages at Farne Cross were for?One of the street names is Smith Row. back on subject,I would love to see a map JBC.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:48 am

I aim to give satisfaction cumbo.

I am sure there was a thread which mentioned the history of these houses and will have a search.

JR
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby JBC » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:06 am

I don't know anything about the history of those terraces at Farme Cross, but I've passed by them countless times over the years and can say one thing for sure: they're not former miners' rows! Believe me, the people who lived in miners' rows would have seen those Rutherglen terraces as the ultimate in luxury living.

I'm trying to put a map of the old Clyde Rows into this post, but I'm not managing to figure out how to do it. The map is in the form of a .jpg file, which I have opened, copied and tried to paste into this post, but I'm not getting a menu option which allows me to paste (option greyed-out). There must be simple way of including images, but I just can't see it. Maybe someone can help me out.
JBC
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:48 pm

Have a look here JBC >FAQ: Posting tips<, this should tell you all you need to know :)

PM a moderator if you need more help.

Cheers,
Crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby JBC » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:14 am

Thanks. I did get to those tags from the "Insert Image" button on your "Post a Reply" toolbar, and realized I was supposed to insert my image between them, but couldn't work out how to get the image there.

The problem is I don't store my pics on any host site, so I have no URL to insert between the tags; and I'm aware that you can't link into personal computers. I store all my pics and other images on CD-ROM, and view them on screen from there, or, if I want to copy an image to someone, simply copy it onto my PC first, as a file, and then send that file as an e-mail attachment. No one but me holds my pics, which means I can't insert them into a posting like this. C'est la vie.

If anyone wants an image from me, then, they're just going to have to contact me directly and have the image sent as an e-mail attachment.
JBC
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby rswinning » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:24 pm

I realise I'm a bit late gettining in on this thread but I've only just recently started researching my family. I came accross the thread by JBC regarding miners rows.
One of my relatives was born in Mud Row another one in School Row and another in what I think is Long Row.

I would love a copy of the map you have JBC

RSW
rswinning
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:08 pm

:P oops wrong thread.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby charliet » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:57 pm

My ancestors were from the Mud Row and I was brought up in Causewayside Street. I would love to get a map of the Clyde Rows or information on where I could find one.
ct
charliet
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Its_a_gamp » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:49 pm

Have a look at the national library site, they have lots of maps and all can be ordered.

http://www.nls.uk/collections/maps/index.html
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:23 am

I've only driven past Farme Cross but I thought the houses were reminiscent of the Stockbridge and Dalry Colonies in Edinburgh. Built with external staircases leading to the upper flats and separated by very narrow streets. Of course, I may be quite wrong.

The unusual, to me anyway, thing about Stockbridge Colonies is that it's the building which has the address, not the street. Thus two terraces of flats on opposite sides of the street will have a different address and the street in front of and behind a terrace of flats will have the same name.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby shazz » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:56 pm

Surprised to see the name of the street where my gran was born in this discussion. Mud Row was the place, 1910, (or thereabouts ) was the year. Her name was Mary Burns. Doesn't it sound like an awful place. "Mud Row". Was this where the poorest folk lived? Were there no pavements, just a big wet muddy street? Why would a street be named after mud? Or, was there a famous Mud who had a street named after him? Will I ever find out? :D
shazz
Just settling in
Just settling in

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects