Fairfield Farmhouse

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Fairfield Farmhouse

Postby Mori » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:13 pm

Hmmmm i wonder what mysteries lie behind the walls if this old farmhouse in Elderpark Govan.

Incidently its been earmarked for a Digital Media Facility by Linthouse Housing Association and has funds allocated to it by GCC/HLF.

Anyone know any history on it and when it was habitated last. :)

Btw too much barbed wire on the surrouding fence couldnt get any closer for a detailed look.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fraz13 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:24 pm

Thats in Elderpark? Near the workspace? A would never imagine something like that there.... Im in Elderpark workspace alot... I'll need to keep an eye open for that....
Fraz13
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:30 pm

I only know what you can read about in the Old Govan books
and websites about the area, but the building was still being
used as a council bothy until about 10 years ago when the
workers were moved to Bellahouston Park. Linthouse House
originally looked like this -

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualm ... iO30=&pg=1

Only the portico,(which was moved to the park), now survives.
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:40 pm

I like farmhouses (a touch of home for me!)...

... are there many more still standing in Glasgow???
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:43 pm

There's at least two on the south side, one on Shawmoss Rd and the other on Barrhead Rd :)
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby viceroy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:12 pm

Lochinch in Pollok Park, beside Haggs Castle Golf Course, where the riding school is - that's a farmhouse. There's another one further along right beside the M77. I think it's called Corkerhill.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pamd » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:48 am

viceroy wrote:Lochinch in Pollok Park, beside Haggs Castle Golf Course, where the riding school is - that's a farmhouse.

Used to ride there as a child - organised chaos - I wonder if Mrs Bell is still alive?
My treasures do not ching together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night - Bedouin proverb
pamd
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby motman » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:03 pm

Cut from http://www.thegovanstory.co.uk/theme.php?content=10&theme=4
'The Linthouse Mansion, designed in 1791 by Robert Adam, was built some time around 1820. The 12 acres estate was acquired for the Stephen's Linthouse Shipyard, and the house converted to house the company's offices. It was subsequently demolished, although the portico was preserved and re-erected in Elder Park in 1921'.

The original site of the mansion was at the Govan Road end of the road (name escapes me) leading down to the old Linthouse ferry where Stephens yard was situated.

The farmhouse in the other pictures are not connected with the mansion.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:44 pm

If "Stevies" bought the land, then original house must
have been close to Holmfauld Road.
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby motman » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:11 am

ramor69 wrote:If "Stevies" bought the land, then original house must
have been close to Holmfauld Road.

Yup, that was the street name that escaped me :)
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:09 pm

THE LUV FARM

An abandoned farmhouse in the corner of Elder Park in Linthouse will soon become the restored centre-piece of an urban farmyard development, introducing 5 new contemporary barns to the park.

The farmyard re-creates the original site use before Linthouse, Govan and shipbuilding enveloped the area due to the contemporary history of shipbuilding on the Clyde.

The new buildings will accommodate a school for herbal medicine, an organic food store, a crèche, café with facilities for children, a childrens’ safety education centre, an office for the council park ranger and an overseeing farmhouse building for the LUV Firm who will manage the farm.

The barn form makes a strong visual reference to traditional farm buildings while drawing inspiration from 20th Century industrial shed buildings located in the shipyard adjacent.

The buildings will re-use materials found on site, re-cycling stone, brick and timber into gabio

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:24 pm

When I was a teenager in the late 60s the path which ran from the Drive Road entrance past the old ruin and the farmhouse on its way to the pond. It was used as a garderner's store (yup in ancient times parks had gardeners) and the lawns outside were immaculately kept and full of impressive floral displays every year (this went for all of the park, we even had bushes where we played as wee boys and dodged the parkies).

Sounds like a fairy tale. Nevermind, the great social experiment that is LUV will make it all better again.

Remind me again where the money will be coming from? This will of course include ongoing maintenance, cctv, dogs an all?
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Hoey St » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:38 pm

On Parkhouse Road South Nitshill is situated Parkhouse farm. It was known as Winklers Farm as the tenant during the 60's and 70's was a family called Winkler.

Nearby on Salterland road is a farm but technically it may just lie outside the city boundary.
On Corselet road is whats left of Darnley Mill Farm, though the actual farmhouse was demolished in the 70's.

Darnley Mains Farm near the BQ store.

There was one at the beginning of Kennishead Road whose name began with an L. It was situated on a rise beside the Brock burn.

At the end of Corselet road at the dams was another farm now demolished known as Simpsons Farm after the last tenent.
Hoey St
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Fairfield Farmhouse

Postby Mori » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:31 pm

Hello Folks,Puttin this here as its the FF Farm House thread.

Will put a worded one in the Whats On sction too, give the project all the support you can to regenrate this derilct wee Farmhoose in Govan in to something we can all use an appreciate.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Fairfield Farmhouse

Postby Dugald » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:07 pm

Mori, I remember "Fairfield Farmhouse " very well. Even back in my Govan days it was looked upon as a place very mysterious, which acted as a magnet for we Govan hooligens. We tried many times to get into it back when, but never managed, there was always some gardener or other around the place. The 'parkies' kept all their gardening equipment in and around the building. Oh, and by the way, there was never any graffiti on the walls or doors.

I'm quite surprised to see the mention of "Linthouse Urban village" on the ad for the meeting. Yes, of course, there is no reason why they shouldn't be mentioned, since after all, they are closer to the park than most of Govan, but the mention of them puts them on a level with Govan itself (and we all know the Linthoose folk always were a bit snobbish!).
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects