Larkhall Line

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Larkhall Line

Postby nuttytigger » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:10 pm

has anyone ever been to the old larkhall railway?

its platforms are still in good nick and harldy anyone knoew they were there as they were so overgrown but now they are re-opening the line and you can see the old platforms and where the track was in its full glory!!

also another not so hidden subject is the Larkhall Viaduct, i remember being at school and running across it for PE, :), now its cloased but still a bridge worth a look, i'll try to get pics for you all.

nuttytigger :)
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:53 pm

Is that where they are working at the moment just down from Brookside garden centre nutty? Is the platform on the right as you come from Hamilton and travel over the bridge down to the Clyde Valley?

-fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby nuttytigger » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:55 pm

yip!!

although they seem to have done is put up silver fences and clear out trees!! :), where you from

nuttytigger :)
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

I Travel

Postby Fossil » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:53 pm

I Travel
:wink:

-Fossil-
Fossil
-
-

Postby tip2tail » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:48 pm

The Modern Fossil wrote:Is that where they are working at the moment just down from Brookside garden centre nutty? Is the platform on the right as you come from Hamilton and travel over the bridge down to the Clyde Valley?

-fossil-

No fossil - thats the site office there. The stations will be at Chatelherault (Fernigair just accross the road from the park entrace behind the new houses), Merryton (Down the bottom of the Summerlee Road behind the newer houses on the left at the start of Larkhall - enter via the junction just after the track goes under the Main Street at the park) and Larkhall Central (Behind Sommerfield and the Co-Op). The platforms I think nuttytigger was meaning are the Larkhall Central ones seeing as those are the only ones that are left from when then old line was closed.

I was down ther a few weeks ago with nuttytigger and we were amazed at just how fast the contractors have cleared the old Platforms. There are 2 platforms as the track used to continue onwards to Stonehouse etc but i assume form the info on the SPT site that only one will be used as the trains will be terminating and return back to Hamilton at Larkhall.

See http://www.spt.co.uk/microsites/Larkhall/index.html for all the info.

Hope this clears it up. I'll see if we can get some photos soon. What you think nuttytigger???

tip2tail
tip2tail
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:25 am

tip2tail wrote:
The Modern Fossil wrote:Is that where they are working at the moment just down from Brookside garden centre nutty? Is the platform on the right as you come from Hamilton and travel over the bridge down to the Clyde Valley?

-fossil-

No fossil - thats the site office there. The stations will be at Chatelherault (Fernigair just accross the road from the park entrace behind the new houses),.................................

See http://www.spt.co.uk/microsites/Larkhall/index.html for all the info.

Hope this clears it up. I'll see if we can get some photos soon. What you think nuttytigger???

tip2tail

cheers tip2tail for the update.
Fossil
-
-

Postby nuttytigger » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:35 am

well as i saying, i'll try to get some pics of them and the viaduct, very scary brisge to be on!!

::):

the line did go on tip2tail, i could see it from a nursing home i used to work in!! (as you fine well know)

nuttytigger
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

larky viaduct and surrounding areas...

Postby sheepdug » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:45 pm

I know the area well...... have you been to the ruins of broomhill house (black ladys haunt ?)....
sheepdug
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sharon » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:56 pm

The Black Lady.... sounds ghostly... ?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DickyHart » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:29 pm

it's very spooky up there sharon
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:02 pm

I have been to the ruins, years ago tho, dunno if they are all still there or if neds have taken parts away to kill each other with!

Also a wee update on the re-opening, they now have the track connected at hamilton, just before the motorway, and also past Ferniegair they have laid track, but at the Larkhall Central all they seem to have done is clear it out and build new platforms, but thyey might have a wee bit of trouble as the track just now looks like a canal, from all the rain!!

i'll keep you all updated!!
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

black lady...ghost ?

Postby sheepdug » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:57 am

History of Broomhill house...and additional stories......is here....
wirth a visit but not much to see now buit ruins. And also the crawl spaces, tunnels and brine cellar....were all filled in (possible becuase someone was murdered in there ???) -- who knows !...heh...go read :

http://www.moirbooks.homestead.com/Blacklady.html

Sdug.
sheepdug
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby nuttytigger » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:24 am

i've been on that site a few times, its very good.

there is also another site that shows a picture of my house from 1900!! :), but i think its older than that.

I remember at primary school being told the story about the black lady and crapping myself for ages being down there with my friends!

just remembered, that my Grans mother worked in Broomhil House when she was about 16 and said it was spooky then, my gran tells me all these things :)
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

dawsholm station

Postby Craigyboy7 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:29 am

i've just noticed while on spt's site that the name of dawsholm on the north urban line extension through to anniesland has been changed to kelvindale!! Personally i think this makes more sense as its basically right next door to kelvindale anyhow
Craigyboy7
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alchemist » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:50 pm

I remember at primary school being told the story about the black lady and crapping myself for ages being down there with my friends!

Has anyone ever seen the ghost, any info ?
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects