strange building on the clyde side

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

strange building on the clyde side

Postby caine » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:32 am

on the north side of the river, next to were that strange glass roofed restaurant used to be that has just been knocked down next to the suspension footbridge(phew, thats a mouthful!) theres a large plain cube like structure with a few vents in it on the road side.

i've no photos of it, but next time your down there, have a look, its so obvious you'd miss it, but if you think about it, theres realy no reason for it to be there.

:?
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:19 am

I guess we pass things like that every day,I had always thought that structure was part of the vents for the old steak bar that was on that sight(How that one ever passed planning stage??)
Then I remembered it was always there.It may have been part of the disco,Pannama Jaxx?? that has been raised to the ground so there is no real reason for it to be there.....unless
That whole area is undergoing a upgrade thanks to a Euro cash payout
There was a bandstand(bands did play there) people used to sit there and eat there lunch etc .Then as usual the drugies and drunks take over
no one goes near. Until Europe comes along spends another 2.5 million
and we get another summers use of the banks of the Clyde.
sad eh. :cry:
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:21 pm

I was near St Enoch at lunchtime and actually had a camera with me for a change, so I took a photo. As pictures of traffic and poles go it's ok, as a picture of the desired building not so good ! Took it in a hurry as I was getting strange "gies yer camara" looks from some guys in suits (tracksuits) hinging aboot outside the nearby "Dial-a-house" bedsit place.

AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kirkyguy » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:33 pm

I have seen this in use it is a ........entrance to the beer cellar sorry to bust the bubble on this, but i have seen the brewery chaps rolling the barrels and pumping beer down here many times...
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby caine » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:43 pm

kirkyguy wrote:I have seen this in use it is a ........entrance to the beer cellar sorry to bust the bubble on this, but i have seen the brewery chaps rolling the barrels and pumping beer down here many times...

that clears that up then! ::): dont worry bout the bubble bursting, i didnt think it was anything too crazy, just thought it looked out of place thats all, and what with the steak house being knocked down, it doesnt look like it belongs to anything.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby martin » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:25 am

amcd wrote:Image

Hang on a minute.. you sure that's Glasgow? I could swear that's a London bus in the pic! :P
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:08 am

martin wrote:Hang on a minute.. you sure that's Glasgow? I could swear that's a London bus in the pic! :P

The conspiracy thickens... :wink:
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:47 pm

kirkyguy wrote:I have seen this in use it is a ........entrance to the beer cellar sorry to bust the bubble on this, but i have seen the brewery chaps rolling the barrels and pumping beer down here many times...

I used to see that all the time when I worked in the Gorbals and I walked over the suspension bridge. Mind you thats when the place wasnt crawling with Jaikies and Junkies. :roll:
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kirkyguy » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:52 pm

emmar wrote
used to see that all the time when I worked in the Gorbals and I walked over the suspension bridge. Mind you thats when the place wasnt crawling with Jaikies and Junkies.

Emmar i went over it recently and the junkies and jaikies have managed to turn it into a toll bridge...50p at the town end and 20 odd pence and cuid i get a drink ay yer waatter mate, at the Gorbals end..cheaper gettin the ferry over in future ::):
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:31 am

kirkyguy wrote:Emmar i went over it recently and the junkies and jaikies have managed to turn it into a toll bridge...50p at the town end and 20 odd pence and cuid i get a drink ay yer waatter mate, at the Gorbals end..cheaper gettin the ferry over in future ::):

::): last time i was there, the jaikie was sitting with a berghaus jacket on - i can't even afford one of them!

Oh how i miss standing behind them in Somerfield paying for their four cans of super with pennies
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:15 pm

I walked by that way today, and despite the rest of the bar/restaurant being demolished months ago and "re-landscaped", that building is still there and they seem to have no intention of knocking it down.

There was a gang of workies there knocking out the doors on the eastern side in readiness to brick it up with new matching yellow sandstone. I would have taken a photo but by the lack of safety gear I'd say some of these workies wouldnae want their photo taken for "security" reasons. :D

Like kirky-guy I have also seen draymen delivering the beer down there when the restaurant was still open, but I can't help thinking it must serve some other purpose as well. :?:
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:29 pm

I was over the suspension bridge yesterday. I think those guys are just trying to raise some money to pay the court fine they just got at the Sheriff!

I also noticed some good graffitti down there that'll I'll have to photograph when it's not hoachin' with Glasgows criminal underworld and rowdy schoolchildren drinking Buckie on their hols.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby skintobalinto » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:04 pm

I delivered bevvy into that building years ago when I had a summer job for Morton Wines. It was the delivery entrance for at the time The Devils Advocate and Panama Jaxxs (thats how long it was, 1983 ish). There was a corridor connecting the the two pubs in the basement.
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects