Glasgow's abandoned railway tunnels and stations

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow's abandoned railway tunnels and stations

Postby Panic! » Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:42 am

While visiting Glasgow earlier this year I explored the abandoned tunnels and stations of the former Central line including Botanical Gardens, London Road, Glasgow Green and more.
You can see some of the pictures here by going to the Glasgow section:
http://urbanadventure.org/2002trip/2002worldtrip.htm
Panic!

Postby Sharon » Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:48 pm

This has got to be the ultimate alternative guide to the sites of the world!! Certainly off the tourist routes, perhaps getting a bit more of a true view.

Brilliant Glasgow photos!!

Sharon
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Underground Railways

Postby J » Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:46 pm

I recently discovered the botanic gardens station and made some effort to try and enter it which proved to be very easy indeed. Along with a small group of friends I ventured in and had a bit of a laugh reaching the kelvinbridge end of the tunnel without difficulty, taking around 70-80 photos along the way.
We were surprised to find these "Panic!" stickers on some of the walls detailing the above website, which is pretty well researched & made, although quite why anyone of sound mind would go in there on their own evades me!
Anyway, the main purpose of this post is to ask if anyone knows of any other "urban adventures" they could recommend in Glasgow, aside from the ones featured on UA.org?
I seem to remember being in the Finnieston Tunnel as a child in the days of the Dome of Discovery (but could be wrong) and would love to try and get into it, but I'm not sure if it's accessible or safe these days. Any suggestions?
J
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sharon » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:02 am

Hi J

The tunnel isn't open to the public anymore. But it is being worked on by the waterbaoard at the moment. They are removing the old Victorian stairs. They wern't keen on the idea of letting folks down there though.

But if you have time for a visit, I could see from accross the Clyde that they had the door into the Rotunda open!

If anyone is down there to blag a photo that would be great! :wink:

Sharon
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects