Strathblane Children's Home Hospital

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Strathblane Children's Home Hospital

Postby Harper » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:12 pm

Hi, I've been really enjoying this site for some time and thought this might be the right place to ask for help finding photographs of Strathblance Children's Home Hospital, which was used as a convalescence faciliity for Yorkhill Hospital up until the last eighties.

I have managed to get some information from the Mitchell Library and some photographs of the building in the late 1900s. If anyone knows of any other sources or information I'd greatly appreciate hearing from you.
Harper
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Tamandee » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:31 am

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/cgi-bin/ ... trathblane
Are these the photographs you mean? I always thought that the home was for children who weren't ill but needed full time care. But maybe it was a convalescent home too. The photographs in this link say it is an open air school. Maybe you could try searching through the health board site.
Tamandee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Harper » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:12 pm

Tamandee wrote:http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/cgi-bin/vm/main.plx?srcpage=advancedsearch&area=Strathblane
Are these the photographs you mean? I always thought that the home was for children who weren't ill but needed full time care. But maybe it was a convalescent home too. The photographs in this link say it is an open air school. Maybe you could try searching through the health board site.

Tamandee,
Thank you very much for posting this link. They are similar to the ones I have already collected but given a better perspective on the building.

There is a really nice history on the Childrens' Home Hospital in the Mitchell Library reference section. The hospital seems to have been used for many purposes througout the years, including a convalescence hospital for children suffering from TB and respitory illnesses, requiring respite care away from the "smoke and lums" of the city. I'll see if I can be clever and post a couple of the photographs I've collected so far.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your response.

PS I had some contact with the health board but they have destroyed all their records
Harper
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects