Anachronistic Streets names

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:24 am

Not so strange considering 2 centuries seperate English colonialism in the Americas with Nelson Mandela. Bear in mind that the profits from Scottish trade with English colonies built the [first] New Town so it isn't so strange that streets would be named in deference to the monarchy of the time. It was also done as a means of consolodating the new notion of British Nationhood as well as affirming Glasgows loyalty to the Crown and normalising the new regime.

Nelson Mandela Place was named in a similar exercise of deference and as a means of expressing Glasgow's new found open-ness and cultural diversity - in a sense, another new notion of Nationhood.

I don't think it prudent nor right to sweep away parts of our history because it doesn't conform to present ideologies, smacks of sweeping things under the carpet to me.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Vladimir » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:36 am

sweeping things under the carpet

Sometimes it has to be done. We need to move on...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:38 am

Lest we forget...
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:39 am

Vladimir wrote:Sometimes it has to be done. We need to move on...

i also find that rich coming from you! ::):
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Vladimir » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:46 am

i also find that rich coming from you!

I find todays economic situation extremely backward. The economic ideology of today is firmly fixed in the time of Adam Smith. In a sense we moved forward after the war, everything seemed under control, and now we are moving backward again. We'll be paying tribute to feudal lords next!

Progress is in the eye of the beholder, you seem to have your eyes firmly fixed on 1766, and the evil sounding 'invisible hand'! ::):
!
Tell me Crusty, what do you think we are moving on to? Another 'mall'! ::):

:roll: Here I go again...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:51 am

vlad wrote:In a sense we moved forward after the war, everything seemed under control, and now we are moving backward again

I don't entirely disagree with that, but as the world's first post-industrial society we're treading new ground. Anyway this isn't the place for such a discussion so I'll have to cut you short in this vein.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:39 pm

crusty_bint wrote:No, that's a common misconception. The loss of the colonies had relatively little impact on Glasgows economy of the time. Trade was simply transferred from Virginia to the West Indies.

Concise & to the point, wish I were like that :cry:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pwm437 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:54 pm

There used to be a Kaiser Street in Dennistoun off Alexandra Parade. Following the outbreak of WW1 it was renamed Marne Street (after the battle of Marne)

This would have been about the same time that German biscuits were renamed Empire biscuits, for the same jingoistic reason
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:52 am

crusty_bint wrote:Not so strange considering 2 centuries seperate English colonialism in the Americas with Nelson Mandela. Bear in mind that the profits from Scottish trade with English colonies built the [first] New Town so it isn't so strange that streets would be named in deference to the monarchy of the time. It was also done as a means of consolodating the new notion of British Nationhood as well as affirming Glasgows loyalty to the Crown and normalising the new regime.

Nelson Mandela Place was named in a similar exercise of deference and as a means of expressing Glasgow's new found open-ness and cultural diversity - in a sense, another new notion of Nationhood.

Nelson Mandela Place was so named by Glasgow council (in 1986) so they could annoy the South African consulate that was based there, forcing them to use his name as part of their address, and have it on all their correspondence - they eventually left.

I don't know how many of the other established business there were hacked off by this change to their long established and respected former address, but the scenario was used in "P Division Code Four One", in an episode broadcast by BBC7 this week. During a police interview, one of the suspects recounted the time when the name/address was changed, and how the business had gone down as their customers lost contact.

Don't know which episode, they've been played daily, I use the Listen Again option, no clue of the day either.

P Division Code Four One Episodes Listed
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects