Pillar Boxes

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re:

Postby onyirtodd » Wed May 07, 2008 11:21 pm

job78989 wrote:Hi not glasgow but Iona last year:

That stirs some memories Job. The first time I saw that pillar box was the day the the former Mrs Onyirtodd and I got engaged. The last time I saw it was the day I went to visit John Smith's grave.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Pillar Boxes

Postby Luco » Fri May 09, 2008 10:38 am

Of course, many city centre post boxes are linked to the underground network of tunnels that cover the city ::):
Luco
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mrsam » Tue May 13, 2008 7:26 pm

Luco wrote:Of course, many city centre post boxes are linked to the underground network of tunnels that cover the city ::):

Post Yersel and find out (first class Large Letter I think......)

Has Anyone found any pre franked mail boxes(usually by sorting offices), and 10 points for old postoffice letterbox First 'n' second class things in the wall

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed May 14, 2008 9:28 am

mrsam wrote:
Has Anyone found any pre franked mail boxes(usually by sorting offices), and 10 points for old postoffice letterbox First 'n' second class things in the wall

Mr Sam

There's a pre franked box in Hillington Ind Est. Just off Queen Elizabeth Ave near where the jobcentre is/ was.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Sat May 24, 2008 4:31 pm

Pretty much a bog standard box in Byres Rd but I was interested to see the manufacturer's name "Machan Eng Scotland" cast at the base, I had thought that the Carron Ironworks in Falkirk had produced most of Scotland post boxes, has anyone seen any other Scottish manufactures?
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Post Boxes

Postby Flyingscot » Wed May 28, 2008 10:15 am

skintobalinto wrote:Is it true that there are no EIIR boxes in Scotland as the SNLA were blowing them up as she was not the second Elizabeth up here. I heard they were replaced with boxes with just a crown on it. Does anyone know if this is true or is it just an urban myth.

Cheers

Partly true, the first bit I never heard of them blowing up, but they were changed from EIIR to the Scottish Crown.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed May 28, 2008 3:59 pm

It's apparently true - the story goes there was an EIIR box placed at the Inch housing estate in Edinburgh shortly after Brenda's coronation when many were taking umbrage at the 'II' (an infamous court case was pursued over the offending numeral). After being daubed with tar and attacked with a sledgehammer, the authorities installed a reinforced one. Then persons unknown posted some gelignite. ::):

The 'Scottish Republican Army' claimed responsibility, along with another shady group, though much media hype surrounded the idea of Scottish terrorism, especially after the Wee Magic Stane episode shortly before. Whether the 'threat' was real or not, all subsequent boxes have just had the crown on them. Likewise all Royal Mail vans in Scotland (though I've seen a handful with the royal cipher over the years, borrowed from south of Tweed I guess).
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby suthy snail » Fri May 30, 2008 4:57 am

There were pillarboxes vandalised in a few locations at the time with the EIIR on them but interestingly and much less known is that when the first box with the Scottish crown was erected in Bellfield Road,Stirling on 18/9/54 it was vandalised by someone painting EIIR with white paint.
Obviously not a nationalist!!
suthy snail
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri May 30, 2008 11:19 am

suthy snail wrote:There were pillarboxes vandalised in a few locations at the time with the EIIR on them but interestingly and much less known is that when the first box with the Scottish crown was erected in Bellfield Road,Stirling on 18/9/54 it was vandalised by someone painting EIIR with white paint.

Now that's funny ::): Never heard of that before. Cheers!
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Fat Cat » Fri May 30, 2008 12:22 pm

suthy snail wrote:There were pillarboxes vandalised in a few locations at the time with the EIIR on them but interestingly and much less known is that when the first box with the Scottish crown was erected in Bellfield Road,Stirling on 18/9/54 it was vandalised by someone painting EIIR with white paint.

I remember reading somewhere that they don't put EIIR on the postboxes in Scotland because she is actually QE1 of Scotland and QE2 of England. Not sure if that's why.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Fri May 30, 2008 12:27 pm

cell wrote:Image
Pretty much a bog standard box in Byres Rd but I was interested to see the manufacturer's name "Machan Eng Scotland" cast at the base, I had thought that the Carron Ironworks in Falkirk had produced most of Scotland post boxes, has anyone seen any other Scottish manufactures?

Looks like this one is at the bottom of Roxburgh Street outside where the old Hillhead Post Office was. If that is the case, it is probably quite recent as it is not in this picture ......

Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri May 30, 2008 10:09 pm

Fat Cat wrote:I remember reading somewhere that they don't put EIIR on the postboxes in Scotland because she is actually QE1 of Scotland and QE2 of England. Not sure if that's why.

That's exactly it. There was an increase in Scottish national sentiment in the 50s (a precursor to the present day, and shut it Onny ::): ), and a fair bit of upset at the 'II' at the time. It's interesting that no such upset was caused by Edward VII or Edward VIII (1st and 2nd in Scotland respectively, unless I have my sums wrong) just a few decades previously. One fellow took the crown to court in Edinburgh over the 'II', the canny judge's decision being that as it fell under the royal prerogative, Brenda could call herself whatever she bally well likes. The then establishment were spooked enough to make the change to the crown on all new post boxes - and the old Scottish crown at that.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:54 pm

Another Victorian survivor on Coplaw Street at the corner with Victoria Road. I used to walk past this post box twice a day and have even seen it on fire after someone torched it when it was over full near christmas.

Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby alzaman » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:06 pm

There's also a 'hole in the hall' Postbox in Park Circus, and as far as i know, the oldest postbox is in the transport museum in Glasgow.

The one at St Vincent Crescent / Corunna St is rather old as well, and the oddest one is at Shearer St, directly under the Kingston Bridge, off Paisley Road .. tiny box, and as far as i know one of the few left.

The other one was in Elmfoot St .. and according to the Royal Mail grapevine, i work for them if you hadn't guessed!, it was sawn down and stolen. :D

Sadly i don't take pictures of these boxes, it's bad enough emptying them! :mrgreen:
alzaman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:50 am

old victorian post box in westend

OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects