Springburn Park

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:38 am

I attended Garthamlock Secondary and I never heard that one Sharon.There wasn't much of a view of any thing other that the South Side.

I remember visiting my sister when she stayed in Springburn and feeling it was higher.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:11 am

Isn't the highest point Cathkin Braes? The eastern half fell to South Lanarkshire with local government reorganisation, but a good portion of it between Carmunnock and the viewpoint at Queen Mary's Seat is still in Glasgow. Highest point there, according to the mapping on the council's own website, is 196 metres above sea level.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:32 am

I'd also heard that part of Springburn was the highest point in Glasgow.

The high flats there were apparently the highest above sea level in the UK/western europe/the world depending on who you spoke to.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:30 am

The high flats there were apparently the highest above sea level in the UK/western europe/the world depending on who you spoke to.

It must be UK surely. ::): Madrid is pretty high up, and it also has high flats, just as an example...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby katherine » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:01 pm

I'm not sure about Balgrayhill being the highest point, but there is a spectacular view of Ben Lomond from Balgrayhill Road - especially from the top of a double decker bus ::):
Shine on You Crazy Diamond
katherine
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sharon » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:09 pm

gap74 wrote:Isn't the highest point Cathkin Braes? The eastern half fell to South Lanarkshire with local government reorganisation, but a good portion of it between Carmunnock and the viewpoint at Queen Mary's Seat is still in Glasgow. Highest point there, according to the mapping on the council's own website, is 196 metres above sea level.

There was always going to be someone who got smart and looked at a map!!!! ::): ::): ::):
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gap74 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:12 pm

Ah, but I wasn't that smart really!

That might be the highest point at ground level, but are any of the multi-storey flats higher when their ground-level height above sea level is added to the total height of the structure...?

That, I'm afraid, I don't know....!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:16 pm

"In 1891 the city boundaries were greatly extended and the lands to the north and east of Springburn now fell within the City of Glasgow. A year later, 56 acres of land were purchased for £25000 by the corporation, to provide a park for Springburn.

The highest point of the City of Glasgow at 351ft above sea level, the hill on which the park is built is really the remains of an old waste bing, byproduct of an old ironstone mine nearby. Due to the steepness of the incline of Balgrayhill Road, there was no tram service to the park gates.

Cockmuir Reservoir, which occupied the top of the hill in Springburn Park, was a component of the city's water supply. The large white water tower was built in 1939 and demolished in 1978. The waterworks in Springburn Park now consists of a reservoir, served by the mains supply from Milngavie, with a capacity of five million gallons, or roughly one day's supply."

http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/springburn/spring082.htm
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:53 am

Ah, from the council's own website:

Cathkin Braes Country Park

Cathkin Braes Country Park covers a large area in the south east of Glasgow.
It is rich in history and a familiar landmark on the southern skyline reaching 200 metres above sea level, the highest point in Glasgow.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/ ... rypark.htm
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Springburn Park

Postby Socceroo » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:26 pm

The Winter Gardens in Springburn Park today, i think these might have been posted in Past / Present previously if i recall. Such a beautiful Park with huge ponds and a rock garden.

It is a pity such magnificent structure as the Winter Gardens cannot be refurbished. Another 4 - 5 years and the structure will be rusted through to the point of collapse.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:38 pm

There was a wee wummin that sold the Big Issue outside Slaters who used to take her Boa Constrictor for a walk/crawl round Springburn Park. I think her name was Maggie if memory serves!

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:47 pm

Peekay wrote:There was a wee wummin that sold the Big Issue outside Slaters who used to take her Boa Constrictor for a walk/crawl round Springburn Park. I think her name was Maggie if memory serves!

PK

It would not have went hungry up there, when i was walking through undergrowth today to get photos of Mosesfield House, shrews and field mice were jumping out everywhere.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bcuk10 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:08 am

In the 1970s there used to be a large flag pole at the top of a hill in Springburn park which marked the highest natural point in Glasgow the flag pole is gone now. It stood behinde the bowling green and along from the old boating pond.
if any one is going for a visit there is no loos
bcuk10
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Hamski » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:04 pm

Many a freezin' cauld morning doing the Cross Country in there.Used to play in the Winter Gardens and the castle hoose across the road. :D

Albert Secondary Boy Me.
Hamski
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby bcuk10 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:06 am

Hamski wrote:Many a freezin' cauld morning doing the Cross Country in there.Used to play in the Winter Gardens and the castle hoose across the road. :D

Albert Secondary Boy Me.

me too running round the park first thing Tuesday morning with old mr Mcloud (pe teacher) if you never had yer sannys he made you run round the park with yer doc martian boots on and yer shorts, :evil:

awe the good auld days 70s rool.
:D
Billy
bcuk10
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects