Fountains Lost and Found

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Fountains Lost and Found

Postby namnavog » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:00 am

Does anyone know what happened to the Fountain outside the Kelvingrove Art Galleries before the renovation? Was it moved somewhere or just scrapped? Think it was originally part of the Garden Festival - Snowden's Childrens' Fountain? I know some people didn't like it but there is just a van selling snacks in it's place now.

(Photo by wh33ler on Panoramio)
namnavog
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sunflower » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:37 am

Mori wrote:ET

City fountain is set to flow once more

Work is well underway. They seem to be digging rather deeply around the fountain.

Anyone with inside info on what's going on with the Kelvingrove fountain now?

I did see it in full flow a couple of times after it was renovated (seem to remember it restarted not quite in time for last year's Doors Open Day), but mostly it's been stopped, and a couple to times bods were working on it again.

Yesterday it was off, and one of the bronzey cherubs on the outside ring had been kncked off - lying peacefully in the water like whosit's painting of Ophelia. But without the dress and the flowers. Moody photo opportunity for someone with an good camera, I imagine.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Sunflower wrote:
Mori wrote:ET

City fountain is set to flow once more

Work is well underway. They seem to be digging rather deeply around the fountain.

Anyone with inside info on what's going on with the Kelvingrove fountain now?

I did see it in full flow a couple of times after it was renovated (seem to remember it restarted not quite in time for last year's Doors Open Day), but mostly it's been stopped, and a couple to times bods were working on it again.

Yesterday it was off, and one of the bronzey cherubs on the outside ring had been kncked off - lying peacefully in the water like whosit's painting of Ophelia. But without the dress and the flowers. Moody photo opportunity for someone with an good camera, I imagine.

It was working today.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:53 pm

Anyone pass the Doulton Fountain in front of the People's Palace lately?

I was there a couple of weeks ago and it seems to have developed a rather unsightly mould or algae problem....
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:08 am

It's looking no bad, like. They've fixed up all the missing bits of sculpture. Hopefully they'll weather in.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:17 pm

rabmania wrote:It [Kelvingrove fountain] was working today.

Good news!

It was working when I went past today as well. Could it be on a timer?

Made it more of a challenge to get a pic of the drowned cherub though -

OK, I give up. Off to look for the post about the new improved Flickr thing.
[Edit - failed]
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:14 am

The drinking fountain in Dalmuir Park yesterday.

Its "bling" paint is wearing off and bits of it are slowly going missing.
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Grahame » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:17 am

gap74 wrote:Anyone pass the Doulton Fountain in front of the People's Palace lately?

It is looking a wee bit grubby around the edges...
IMAG0106 by grahame.gardner, on Flickr
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Fri May 18, 2012 1:13 am

On Monday I was shocked to see this in Dalmuir Park where the fountain was last time I looked.

Hopefully it's connected with this story, and it hasn't been a victim of metal thieves:

http://www.clydewaterfront.com/projects ... lmuir-park
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri May 18, 2012 9:32 am

since its on the route of sundays hg walk i think the council thought it would be safer in storage.i passed through there on tuesday and was told its away for a refurb.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:53 am

Pleased to see the Doulton Fountain has been given a bit of a jetwash - although more of the upper spouts are now working, some of them still seem to be blocked, hopefully not to the extent that it gets into the same state in another couple of years...
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lord Dunbartonshire » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:03 pm

I was in Kelvingrove Park today and was shocked to see the fountain was switched off.

It was a beautiful sunny hot day and one would expect the fountain to be in use, flowing freely, with folk splashing about and having a great time. Why did they bother renovating the thing if they're not going to use it ?

I looked up the Council website and got the following blatant lie..... "Unfortunately the fountain uses mains water, an extravagance that cannot be afforded today." That's nonsense. It's been raining all year, and the reservoirs are at a very high level. Are they too lazy to occasionally drain and clean the thing ? Are they scared of getting sued in case someone has an accident ? Are they selling our water to the English via privatisation ?

I really don't think the Stewart Memorial Fountain uses all that much water anyway. It's the West of Scotland and there's tons of the stuff. On Saturday I was at the Doulton Fountain, and it was flowing nicely.

I can remember the fountain used to be buzzing with activity on summer days and the atmosphere was excellent.

My conclusion is that the Parks Department are bone idle and don't give a toss about the public.
Lord Dunbartonshire
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:39 pm

Lord Dunbartonshire wrote:.................Are they selling our water to the English via privatisation ?

I believe selling 'our' water to the English was Alex Neil's last 'brainwave'.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lord Dunbartonshire » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:16 pm

I checked this out via Google. Apparently the water has not yet been privatised. I stand corrected. Privatisation must be resisted at all costs.

By all means sell small quantities to the English during times of drought - but at least switch the bloody fountain on whenever the sun is shining. The Stewart Memorial Fountain looks great when it's flowing, and rather boring and pointless when it's switched off. It's a meaningful tourist attraction and commemorates a significant Victorian achievement. It looks at its best in the sunlight when it's wet from the water flow ..... but rather flat and lifeless when it's dry. Tourists love that sort of thing and would take lots of photographs. Currently there's no shortage of water. Children should be encouraged to perform gymnastics on it and use it as a sort of climbing frame. In the remote chance of them injuring themselves there's two excellent hospitals close by.

Perhaps I'll write to Mr Neil regarding this.
Lord Dunbartonshire
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:28 pm

Lord Dunbartonshire wrote: ...............Children should be encouraged to perform gymnastics on it and use it as a sort of climbing frame. In the remote chance of them injuring themselves there's two excellent hospitals close by.

And any number of solicitors willing to represent them in the subsequent claim
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects