Fountains Lost and Found

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Fountains Lost and Found

Postby Toby Dammit » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:00 pm

Glad to see the newly restored drinking fountain in Dalmuir Park has returned. I didn't get a photo this time I'm afraid. It's been painted in deepest Victorian mourning black, except for the dove on top of the dome which is bright gold. The cupola exterior itself is surrounded by little classical style dolphins, a feature I never remember seeing before, they must all have been stolen from the original decades ago. The single owl who used to guard the interior has been rejoined by a whole flock now (or is that "a hoot of owls"?), one sitting atop each of the eight capitals. The missing plaques, rather than being replaced with new panels depicting birds have been provided with ones featuring Clydebank's coat of arms instead. Lets hope the fountain keeps all its restored bits for a long time to come.
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:21 pm

Hope they have CCTV covering it. How long before the scrappies pounce at Dalmuir!
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:05 pm

funny you should say that.a new cctv system has just been installed in the park and the images are watched over in the park rangers office.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:22 pm

McShad wrote:
crusty_bint wrote:
Ally Doll wrote:Image

Snapped this at the traffic lights this morning - what is it? For why? And, more importantly, how long til some neds pinch it and roll it home?

This monstrosety of a fountain did work for a while... it spins round and stops if it senses any pressure i.e. something trying to stand on it. I would like to know how much it cost

I thought they nicked that one of of the 1980s McEwan's Lager advert......
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:14 pm

Dalmuir Park's drinking fountain in its current incarnation. I was surprised to note that the cupola is surrounded by very stylised lions and not dolphins as I'd previously stated. Must have been foggy that day...

One of the litle gothic owls. Kinda reminds me of the Maltese Falcon with those stylised chest feathers.
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:25 pm

A fountain well & truly lost would be the one which stood in Phoenix park from approx. 1891 to 1959.

Edington Foundry – One of Glasgow’s oldest iron foundries also known as the Phoenix Foundry. The firm was established by Thomas Edington at 52 Queen Street, and later moved to 38 and 50 Garscube Road in 1847-90, and then to 20 St. Vincent Lane.
The largest commission for the foundry was for the Phoenix Park Fountain, which was gifted to Glasgow by ‘Sweetie’ Buchanan, of John Buchanan & Bros. Ltd, a local confectioner, and which stood in Phoenix Park, Cowcaddens (c. 1891). Named after the foundry which occupied the site until 1890, the park was ‘restored’ in 1959, but the fountain, which had by then become derelict, was demolished.

The well in Phoenix Park, early 20th century:
A barefoot boy is lifting his little sister up to drink from the drinking fountain. Behind them some children are sitting with their feet in the water of the ornamental fountain, cooling themselves on a fine summer day. The little girl on the right seems to have rickets, a disease caused by lack of vitamin D. Rickets results in a decrease of bone density and the weakening of the skeleton, most noticeably in the bowing of leg bones. It was a widespread in poorer areas of Glasgow, and was the result of poor diet and an inadequate exposure to sunlight.

Children playing c 1930 at the fountain in Phoenix Park:

Relaxing in Phoenix Park in Cowcaddens, 1955.
The park was cleared in the late 1950s, a few years after this photograph was taken. The fountain in the background is clearly no longer in working order.

Undated, but the fountain has gone:

General view of the area post fountain:

Phoenix Park looking east to Buchanan's Confectionery Works in Cowcaddens, c 1940s. Garscube Road is on the right, by the trees.
John Buchanan & Bros founded these works in 1869 on a site which had previously been occupied by Motherwell & Lapsey's nailworks. New buildings were added as the business expanded, and the tall chimney was built in 1905 at a cost of £300. The buildings were demolished in 1967.

I always wondered where this park was situated and thanks to the 'Woodside' website I have found out, to my great surprise, here is the location (I'm still gobsmacked):

The two colour photos were taken from here:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... myI_SryiMQ

The others are from 'The Glasgow Story'
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:38 pm

Brilliant, HH, thanks.

I've wondered a bit, not so much about the fountain (because I didn't know it was there), but about the park and that lost bit of town in general.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:00 pm

Thanks HH. A proper HG post there and a challenge to the brain due to the complete changes in the area!

BTW did you spot what looks like a rooftop telegraph pole in the first photo? Have we had a thread about those yet ?
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:45 pm

Quick pic of the Dalmuir dome a couple of months ago, rescued from a knackered phone.

Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects