Red & white brick, industrial buildings

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby glasgowken » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:02 pm

viceroy wrote:A couple of fine examples on Milnpark St. in Kinning Park

This was formerly the office block of the Kinning Park Colour Works, built around 1895 for Hird, Hastie & Co. Ltd., paint and colour manufacturers.

The building on the left was originally the Kingston Engine Works, founded around 1866 by Smith Bros, engineers and ironfounders, and probably rebuilt around 1873. It now forms part of the News International complex round the corner in Portman St. The building on the right was the office block belonging to the engine works.

8O GORGEOUS !!!!!!!! Please tell me they have grade A listing, and a shit load of protection orders placed on them to stop some arsehole demolishing them ?

I could happily move in there tomorrow.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:22 pm

I'm not sure whether these buildings are listed but they have had quite a lot of work done on them within the past few years, so it was presumably the intention that they be used rather than abandoned. As I already mentioned, one of the buildings [the Kingston Engine Works] is now part of the News International complex and I think the building next to it may belong to this too. The Kinning Park Colour Works block I think is occupied, but I don't know by whom.

Sadly only a handful of Victorian industrial buildings are now left in Kinning Park, so it is good to see at least these ones being given a further lease of life.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:15 pm

Both Category B-listed, not that that means much these days.... Listing notes here:

http://hsewsf.sedsh.gov.uk/hslive/hsstart?P_HBNUM=33518

http://hsewsf.sedsh.gov.uk/hslive/hsstart?P_HBNUM=33970

Handy wee search tool for listed buildings here, much better search than that offered on the main Historic Scotland site:

http://hsewsf.sedsh.gov.uk/hslive/hbsearch.showadv

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:00 pm

Interesting site, what sort of protection does Grade B actually bring ? I'm guessing not a lot.

I can't believe Coplawhill (now Tramway Theatre) isn't Grade A, that building should be a National treasure :(
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:17 pm

In practice, absolutely none - in my particular field of cinemas, two B-listed examples have been largely demolished for flats behind a retained facade in the last few years, and one has just been approved for total demolition cos no one was willing to enforce repairs notices until it had gotten beyond repair....

And that's just Glasgow, plenty of other examples elsewhere in Scotland.

Officially, B-listed is the middle of three categories of protection. Slightly fuller explanations here:

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/ind ... gories.htm

As far as planning applications go, only A and B categories get passed to Historic Scotland for comment, C(s) listed buildings need only the consent of the local authority. Even then, each case is judged on its individual merits, the actual listing category seems to have only a certain influence - other factors such as how long a property has been lying derelict, whether the council are keen to see it brought back into use etc. fall into play. Ultimately, it's really up to the council to decide on whether to take Historic Scotland's advice, they can ignore it, as it's very unlikely it'll be called in by them.

Had a meeting with them over all this last week, most depressing!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:53 am

The whole listing thing is a mess, the whole system needs a shake up, especially with all the "accidential" fires recently.

Another one for the collection, this is a beauty, especially that weird roof :-)

Location is just south of Kelvinbridge. It was impossible for me to frame the whole building due to the surrounding foilage.

GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:01 am

From Maryhill

My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:35 pm

Magnificent :D especially the second one. Do you know what that building is/was ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:39 pm

glasgowken wrote:Magnificent :D especially the second one. Do you know what that building is/was ?

Ian did mention onthe tour but I cant remember - information was falling out my head that day. I'll try and ask my mum, I know the one next door was a rubber factory.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:41 pm

My Kitten wrote:
glasgowken wrote:Magnificent :D especially the second one. Do you know what that building is/was ?

Ian did mention onthe tour but I cant remember - information was falling out my head that day. I'll try and ask my mum, I know the one next door was a rubber factory.

I think the second building was originally the Glasgow Lead and Colour Works. The rubber factory further along was the Glasgow Rubber Works, at one time a very well known Glasgow company. I know the Glasgow Rubber Works was still in business during the 1970's and they may well have lasted through into the 1980's. This was quite a large complex spread out along the north bank of the Forth & Clyde Canal. Haven't been along there for a number of years and I expect there's very little left now.

As regards Glasgowken's picture of the building at Kelvinbridge - for many years this sported a large sign on its roof advertising Red Hackle Scotch Whisky. Some people may remember this. It was quite a landmark when you were going westwards over Kelvinbridge. I think the company which marketed the whisky was called Hepburn and Ross. They had their offices in the building.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:53 pm

viceroy wrote:
My Kitten wrote:

I think the second building was originally the Glasgow Lead and Colour Works. The rubber factory further along was the Glasgow Rubber Works, at one time a very well known Glasgow company. I know the Glasgow Rubber Works was still in business during the 1970's and they may well have lasted through into the 1980's. This was quite a large complex spread out along the north bank of the Forth & Clyde Canal. Haven't been along there for a number of years and I expect there's very little left now.

As regards Glasgowken's picture of the building at Kelvinbridge - for many years this sported a large sign on its roof advertising Red Hackle Scotch Whisky. Some people may remember this. It was quite a landmark when you were going westwards over Kelvinbridge. I think the company which marketed the whisky was called Hepburn and Ross. They had their offices in the building.

Is this the remains of the ad? Snapped these a few months ago...

Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:37 pm

Yes it is, actually I had forgotten about the Red Hackle ad on the gable end of the building. But there was also a big red sign which sat on the roof on the side facing the Kelvin. I think it may have been put up there just after the war, I know it was already there in the nineteen-fifties when I was a wee boy living just round the corner in Belmont Street.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:51 pm

viceroy wrote:But there was also a big red sign which sat on the roof on the side facing the Kelvin.

You can just about make it out in this picture:

dazza
-
-

Postby viceroy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:09 pm

Thanks for the pic dazzababes.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:01 pm

Rosebank Dyeworks, Cambuslang, nice Greek key pattern in white brick. Built c.1881, with various later extensions, now a trading estate. Unfortunately, later repairs haven't been terribly sympathetic to the original brickwork, the gable with the cement render is the most complete, the others having mostly been totally rebuilt in plain brick at some point.

The front of the building has some stonework with a pediment and bell turret, but I couldn't see any obvious public access to that side of the building, and had to make do with a distant shot over rooftops...

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects