Postby kn0wledge » Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:09 pm

-!- mode/#hiddenglasgow [-o+b gordonjcp] by kn0wledge
-!- kick/#hiddenglasgow [gordonjcp] by kn0wledge [PWNED]
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby GoRdY_b » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:30 am

As a person who used to host on UKChat.com I reckon that a chatroom aint a bad idea, and generally takes pressure off a forum such as this.

In terms of safety issues, the usual code of conduct would be mandatory i.e. no advertising, no swearing, NO SHOUTING and no personal info. I would say that a scheduled chat session with a host to cast their eye over proceedings as well as contributing to the conversation would be helpful. It would also mean that there would be guaranteed fellow chatters at the same time instead of the "I'll see if anyone's in chat" scenario.

On other suggestions, a site search facility is a must. The home page is rather busy and has projects that haven't been added to for some time. Also there are some that won't be added to.... for example Meadowside Granary which has bitten the dust entirely now. Perhaps a rotation of the main features as they are added to with a seperate page for every one listed.

Other than that it's a good site and there aren't too many improvements to make.
Hope is an indulgence for which I have little time.
GoRdY_b
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby kn0wledge » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:55 am

What the hell kind of rules are they? No swearing? No personal info? Half of us have met each other already. I was talking about a regular IRC channel, not some kiddie-friendly web-chat thing where you get booted off for saying "arse". Perhaps I should install an IRCd on one of my spare Unix computers and run a server for us, myself.

And nobody would ever stick to the agreed time.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:58 am

GoRdY_b wrote:As a person who used to host on UKChat.com I reckon that a chatroom aint a bad idea, and generally takes pressure off a forum such as this.

In terms of safety issues, the usual code of conduct would be mandatory i.e. no advertising, no swearing, NO SHOUTING and no personal info. I would say that a scheduled chat session with a host to cast their eye over proceedings as well as contributing to the conversation would be helpful. It would also mean that there would be guaranteed fellow chatters at the same time instead of the "I'll see if anyone's in chat" scenario.

On other suggestions, a site search facility is a must. The home page is rather busy and has projects that haven't been added to for some time. Also there are some that won't be added to.... for example Meadowside Granary which has bitten the dust entirely now. Perhaps a rotation of the main features as they are added to with a seperate page for every one listed.

Other than that it's a good site and there aren't too many improvements to make.

Never assume things won't be added to!!! As for meadowside granary, I've got around a hundred photos and slides to scan and make available, contributed by someone who worked there for a while!!

But, time (after all i don't do this as a full time paid job!!! 8O ), means god knows when it will be done!!! Actually, anyone got a slide scanner???

I probaly wont add anything to the main site now, until i make the changes i mentioned in previous posts. The volume of projects means that it really needs to be database driven...to a point at least. So thats next.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sharon » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:58 am

And i still think chat may simply be best kept to the pub.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GoRdY_b » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:18 pm

kn0wledge wrote:What the hell kind of rules are they? No swearing? No personal info? Half of us have met each other already. I was talking about a regular IRC channel, not some kiddie-friendly web-chat thing where you get booted off for saying "arse". Perhaps I should install an IRCd on one of my spare Unix computers and run a server for us, myself.

And nobody would ever stick to the agreed time.

Okay so maybe on the swearing part I meant abuse towards other users, they generally go hand in hand. I would expect if I posted abuse on this forum it would be removed and rightly so.
It doesn't need to be kiddie-friendly if the users don't need/wish that. I still think a hosted/scheduled session helps.

On the phrase "half of us have met each other already", if it was an open chat room which ANYONE could be logged in to, you would be very silly to input any personal info. I find that attitude rather alarming for your personal safety. Do you REALLY know who's logged in?
Hope is an indulgence for which I have little time.
GoRdY_b
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby kn0wledge » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:26 pm

Personal safety? I've been using the internet for many years, and never once has my personal safety been threatened as a result of me giving someone my name or address. That is pure scaremongering on your part.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:33 pm

kn0wledge wrote:Personal safety? I've been using the internet for many years, and never once has my personal safety been threatened as a result of me giving someone my name or address. That is pure scaremongering on your part.

i may yet turn into a psycho stalker!! :twisted:
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby turbozutek » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:48 pm

I am quite very hungry.

Think I will go look in my larder and see what's to eat.

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:31 pm

kn0wledge wrote:Personal safety? I've been using the internet for many years, and never once has my personal safety been threatened as a result of me giving someone my name or address. That is pure scaremongering on your part.

Have to agree there, people only find out as much about you as you let out and googling/whois etc. If someone wants to find out about you they will and I've never felt threatened in the god knows how long ive been spending my sad life online.

Would be nice to get some sort of searchable database :)
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:33 pm

emmar wrote:Would be nice to get some sort of searchable database :)

http://www.four11.com

Just one example of the many !! :)

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rosco » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:57 pm

Might be too ambitious but how about an interactive map of the Glasgow area? Probably best just to use it for navigation around the site, you'd be able to have every location project linked from it, with all the Glasgow-wide ones accessed from maybe a sidebar or set of icons or something.

Would look nice and could be used as a running theme throughout the site, and anyone new to the site could choose somewhere near where they live and find out more that way, or if they have a specific project to see, e.g. meadowside granary, then that's easy enough to locate if there's an icon on the map for it.

If you wanted to be really fancy, could do it using Flash, with a slider at the side to 'age' the map, fading from old to present, or just to scroll around - Glasgow's pretty big after all.
Always looking up...
rosco
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby duncan » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:28 am

the hour thing still seems to be out by 1. I'm guessing there must be some option for 'enable daylight savings time' that hasn't been switched on?
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jazza » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:44 am

The 1 hour problem might have something to do with the webhost being in Germany ::):

Should be any easy fix though...

UPDATE!

I tried changing it in the admin side, it didn't work. Nae luck.
Last edited by Jazza on Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kn0wledge » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:48 am

Duncan, set the time zone in your profile to GMT+1. Worked for me.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects