Shopfronts and signage design

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:46 pm

Alex Glass wrote:As one of those who religiously attend Community Council meetings I must commend the work of the dedicated volunteers who give up their time to improve the communities in which they live.

It is important that people participate in the work of the Community Council. The CC has a vital role to play in ensuring that public services are delivered. They are also statutory consultees in planning, licensing and many other matters relating to community life.


They'll still no vote for you Alex. I know what they say when you've gone. I bet they're still talking about election posters left on lamp posts.
User avatar
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6252
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:58 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
They'll still no vote for you Alex. I know what they say when you've gone. I bet they're still talking about election posters left on lamp posts.


You know them so well Dex ;)

But it doesn't stop me going along for the regular battering. Thankfully there is a recess at the moment so I will have to wait untill August for my next kicking.
User avatar
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2589
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:03 pm

AndrewM wrote:As a Community Council we exist to represent the views of the local community.


Shawlands and Strathbungo Community Council wrote:Shawlands and Strathbungo Community Council exists to represent the views of everyone from the Shawlands and Strathbungo areas of Glasgow.


Well it seems you don't represent the views of half the population of Shawlands as illustrated by your area boundary: >clicky<, perhaps you can elaborate as to the reasons why? You also might wish to consider rephrasing your website as it is misleading to suggest you represent the views of the entire Shawlands Community.

But then, having read the following on http://www.southsidemedia.org I imagine your stinking attitude will prevent you from doing so:

Andrew M wrote:Deanston Drive and Tantallon Road aren’t covered by Shawlands and Strathbungo Community Council, if you are bewildered speak to your MP or after May 3rd your MSP or local councillor they may be able to help you. I have stated the facts correctly and it is not for me to educate you.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-
 
Posts: 4425
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:52 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby AndrewM » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:35 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Community Councils are the bodies that like to say no. The fact thet there is no canopy does not mean smokers won't congregate outside the door of the pub. Community councils objetc to bus shelters, they object to pubs and anything else they think might upset their constituency of pensioners. The only good thing about Community Councils is the torture they apply to Councillors who turn up religiously to be bored to death at their meetings.


I disagree. CCs are there to represent a very local community and to try and make their voice heard. We get a budget of less than £10 per week. Everyone involved in a CC gives up their time for the purpose of improving their local community. I'm not saying that every community councillor is perfect but we are a lot better than the critics who sit on the sidelines and do nothing - except complain.

A perfect example - in Queens Park lots of local residents have been complaining to various council departments about anti-social behaviour allegedly involving residents of the Queens Park Hotel. When it was raised with the local community council we organised a public meeting and will ensure that an action plan is put in place. I've spent days organising the meeting, people have spent hours delivering leaflets and posters - nobody has been paid a penny (nor do they expect to be paid). People give up their time to help others.

BTW the public meeting is Thursday 2 August at 7pm ion Queens Park Parish Church, 170 Queens Drive.
AndrewM
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:55 pm

Postby AndrewM » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:59 pm

crusty_bint wrote:
AndrewM wrote:As a Community Council we exist to represent the views of the local community.


Shawlands and Strathbungo Community Council wrote:Shawlands and Strathbungo Community Council exists to represent the views of everyone from the Shawlands and Strathbungo areas of Glasgow.


Well it seems you don't represent the views of half the population of Shawlands as illustrated by your area boundary: >clicky<, perhaps you can elaborate as to the reasons why? You also might wish to consider rephrasing your website as it is misleading to suggest you represent the views of the entire Shawlands Community.

But then, having read the following on http://www.southsidemedia.org I imagine your stinking attitude will prevent you from doing so:

Andrew M wrote:Deanston Drive and Tantallon Road aren’t covered by Shawlands and Strathbungo Community Council, if you are bewildered speak to your MP or after May 3rd your MSP or local councillor they may be able to help you. I have stated the facts correctly and it is not for me to educate you.


You might wish to consider brushing up on your reading skills ... we exist to represent the views of everyone. That is different from "we represent the views of everyone who every visited our area even if they didn't get off the bus". We exist to represent their views ... it's not the same as saying "we represent the views of everyone" the statement is intended to be inclusive - we want to represent everyone not just particular groups. Our job is to represent the views that people express to us. When local residents complained about anti-social behaviour we organised a public meeting.

You only know about our boundary because we created a website and created a google map. That's what we want ... we want people to be listened too. You now know about the boundary issue because we created a public document. I don't expect you to say thanks. The boundary issue is something that was determined by others so if you have a complaint take it up with someone who gets paid to deal with it.

Looking at the post I was responding to on the G41 forum you'll see my post was perfectly in order. The previous poster was, like you, keen to post without knowing the facts. I won't be insulted and not defend myself. However, as you will see from the same post I don't lower myself to personal insults. Something you and the other poster have in common.
AndrewM
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:55 pm

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:34 pm

Andrew, thank you for vindicating my accusation that you have a stinking attitude.

The largest part of your first paragraph is nonsense in the purest sense and doesn't address the point I put to you which was that it is misrepresentation to state that "Shawlands and Strathbungo Community Council exists to represent the views of everyone from the Shawlands and Strathbungo areas of Glasgow" when this is clearly not the case as illustrated by the Google Map. You also might want to brush up on your reading skills.

I know about the boundary because I made it my business to know about it as I wanted to join the CC as a resident of Shawlands, not because of the Google map (which I admittedly didn't realise you had created); I know it's an issue because I have issue with it. I am not looking to complain to you or the CC about it, I am asking you for information which I thought, perhaps naively, was within the remit of the CC.

I not only read the post you had responded to but the thread in its entirety, perhaps if you did the same, refreshed your memory and put my post into that context you will see that my rebuttal was justified, particularly when you consider the fact that you portray yourself as a representative of the CC.

I find your insinuation that I am ignorant or have problems reading and understanding the written word personally insulting.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-
 
Posts: 4425
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:52 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:06 pm

Hope you enjoyed your holiday Crusty.

As one of those responsible for the boundaries of Community Councils can I say that boundaries are set following public consultation and agreed through a report to the Executive Committee of the Council. This is carried out by the Council's Community Council Resource Centre. If there are issues regarding the boundary they can be firstly directed to the Resource Centre and discussed with the local councillors who may wish to request an amendment if it is appropriate.

Community Councils are set up to be representative of their communities and firstly represent the views of those people living in the community. They should be open to every individual within the area who is registered to vote. Places are filled at an AGM which should be held every two years. Casual vacancies can be filled at any time but there is a procedure for this to take place.

Not sure how on topic this is but thought it would be helpful to make these points.
User avatar
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2589
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby AndrewM » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:25 am

crusty_bint wrote:Andrew, thank you for vindicating my accusation that you have a stinking attitude.

The largest part of your first paragraph is nonsense in the purest sense and doesn't address the point I put to you which was that it is misrepresentation to state that "Shawlands and Strathbungo Community Council exists to represent the views of everyone from the Shawlands and Strathbungo areas of Glasgow" when this is clearly not the case as illustrated by the Google Map. You also might want to brush up on your reading skills.

I know about the boundary because I made it my business to know about it as I wanted to join the CC as a resident of Shawlands, not because of the Google map (which I admittedly didn't realise you had created); I know it's an issue because I have issue with it. I am not looking to complain to you or the CC about it, I am asking you for information which I thought, perhaps naively, was within the remit of the CC.

I not only read the post you had responded to but the thread in its entirety, perhaps if you did the same, refreshed your memory and put my post into that context you will see that my rebuttal was justified, particularly when you consider the fact that you portray yourself as a representative of the CC.

I find your insinuation that I am ignorant or have problems reading and understanding the written word personally insulting.


You asked a question about canopies which I answered. You then take a quote from our website and have a pop at it. You then have a personal dig at me and selectively quote a post.

We do exist to represent the views of everyone from the Shawlands and Strathbungo areas. Just because our boundary excludes part of Shawlands doesn't mean that we should ignore someone because they happen to live 100 yards outside our boundary, we are an inclusive organisation. In my opinion the boundary has been wrongly set. I would guess you found the map from the link on our website.

Your post is a good summary of a core problem with forums. If we met in the street and had a normal conversation I very much doubt that you would act the way you have here. I came across a question which I thought I would answer. I didn't research any of your previous postings I just answered the question. You then go off and try to find a method of attack.

What was wrong with just saying "I've looked at the SSCC website and I am very surprised that your area excludes a large part of Shawlands. Why is that?". If you are not happy with an aspect of our CC, any decision we have taken or the area that we serve you can contact your local councillor (our website has links to all 7 in our area or it has a link to the GCC page to allow you to find out who your councillor is) or the Community Council Resource Centre (0141 287 4723). I'd be please to know how you would have found out about our boundary without our map because the information isn't readily available (this doesn't mean it's secret or unpublished).

I do what I do, like so many other community councillors throughout Scotland, to help local people and my local community. CCs get funding of £500 per year. There is no money in it, no generous expenses, no power and (as you so perfectly represent) no glory. I was brought up to contribute to my society - service before self. You can snipe and complain all you like, our intentions are good and honourable.
AndrewM
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:55 pm

Sniping from the side lines

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:14 pm

This forum, its members and the hidden Glasgow website has done more for Glasgow than the combined collection of the worthies who make up the city's community councils. The help offered to visitors, the combined research and photographic contributions as well as practical advice is second to none. Name the community Council than can advise on pubs to avoid and the worst chippy in Glasgow. Which Community Council offers advice to the love lorn, technically inept and anally retentive? There's a challenge for you get a public toilet re opened in Glasgow.

Wha's like us? Well maybe Glasgow Guide who do a good job whilst waiting a visit from Oscar (the cat with the scythe).

Image
User avatar
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6252
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Sniping from the side lines

Postby AndrewM » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:03 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:This forum, its members and the hidden Glasgow website has done more for Glasgow than the combined collection of the worthies who make up the city's community councils. The help offered to visitors, the combined research and photographic contributions as well as practical advice is second to none. Name the community Council than can advise on pubs to avoid and the worst chippy in Glasgow. Which Community Council offers advice to the love lorn, technically inept and anally retentive? There's a challenge for you get a public toilet re opened in Glasgow.

Wha's like us? Well maybe Glasgow Guide who do a good job whilst waiting a visit from Oscar (the cat with the scythe).


I think this is a great site and I don't for a second see the CCs as something that compete with it and I haven't suggested that, they are different beasts.

I imagine that there could even be CCs that would be as unwelcoming as some of the members of this forum!

This site and a CC are different things. My crime was to come along as a newbie and respond to a post. It's a bit like going into a pub for the first time, I've just been unlucky that a bully [crusty_bint] has tried to pick on me. No luck there then because I'm not the type to be scared by a bully. Luckily I've found that most of the people on the site are good people.

Nice pussy btw.
AndrewM
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:55 pm

Postby My Kitten » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:13 pm

Shawlands and Strathbungo CC boundary just seems silly to me, to miss out a chunk of Shawlands???

Do the CC link it with the Community Planning Partnership? I was a member of another CC and tbh it was merely a bitching session about local buisnesses and an excuse to moan at the planning applications.
User avatar
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6105
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:10 am

Postby AndrewM » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:25 pm

My Kitten wrote:Shawlands and Strathbungo CC boundary just seems silly to me, to miss out a chunk of Shawlands???

Do the CC link it with the Community Planning Partnership? I was a member of another CC and tbh it was merely a bitching session about local buisnesses and an excuse to moan at the planning applications.


I agree everyone is amazed by it, I think they used the A77 as the boundary and it was just plain daft. One half of Kilmarnock Road has different councillors, MPs, and I think CPPs.

I think we have our share of moaners but by enlarge it's just a group of people who want to do the right thing. CCs don't have any power and mostly get ignored by large parts of the Council. Mostly the Council don't like the idea of local people asking them to do things or even worse commenting on things they take an age to do.
AndrewM
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:55 pm

Re: Sniping from the side lines

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:34 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Wha's like us? Well maybe Glasgow Guide who do a good job whilst waiting a visit from Oscar (the cat with the scythe)

Hahahahaha excellent stuff, Dexter ::):
User avatar
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 8922
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:59 pm
Location: Paisley

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:52 pm

I'm too tired to respond to this fully but me... a bully? Give me a break ::): I'm sure anyone who knows even the slightest thing about me is laughing too ::):
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-
 
Posts: 4425
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:52 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby red_kola » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:02 pm

crusty_bint with the last lag who crossed her
Image
Destroy All Monsters
User avatar
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1350
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:05 am

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests