Shopfronts and signage design

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby crusty_bint » Thu May 04, 2006 12:36 pm

Thanks all. Toaster, do you honestly believe that not installing these canopies will dissuade the crowds of smokers you have to wade through? If you do you are very naive.

What I still don't get is why the CC doesn't approach this in a more constructive manner. If there are concerns over quality of the awnings/canopies andthier use for advertising then why not encourage GCC to set guidelines and standards (much like we're suggesting [and has been implemented on Trongate at Glasgow Cross] for shopronts on this thread) instead of the stick-your-fingers-in-your-ears-cover-your-mouth-with-a-hankie-so-you-don't-have-to-inhale-the-dirty-awful-evil-cigarette-smoke-as-you-walk-by-the-traffic-thats-been-standing-stationary-for-the-last-20-minutes-and-run-around-in-tight-wee-circles-protecting-your-own-interests-and-not-considering-those-of-the-wider-community approach?

The scenario reeeeeks of NIMBYism... or is that NIMFYism?
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Thu May 04, 2006 12:40 pm

Was good to meet you too HH - and remember, I bought a round too (it was the women who were cheap :twisted: )
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Toaster » Thu May 04, 2006 1:52 pm

crusty_bint wrote:Thanks all. Toaster, do you honestly believe that not installing these canopies will dissuade the crowds of smokers you have to wade through? If you do you are very naive.

Certainly not naive - smokers are one hell of a persistent lot. I mean the amount of information out there now about what it does to you and those around you, combined with the obvious fact that cigarettes smell and taste like sh!t on a stick, and still something like a third of folk do it. But every now and then, the wee light bulb goes on, and one or two look at their next fag and say, hang on, whit's this crap? Anything that helps that is fine by me. Ultimately I'd just find it funnier walking through wee crowds of smokers huddled in misery.

Or perhaps you'd rather the taxes just went up and up?

Nimbyism? Oh aye, definitely. Who says a pub has to have an awning for smokers? Sorry CB, I enjoy your stuff on the Forum loads (and the awning codes thing is a good idea) but if you're looking for sympathy to smokers, talk to the hand :)
Toaster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu May 04, 2006 2:16 pm

Talk to the finger Toaster.

Smokers are not the issue - canopies and awnings are. I have long advocated the return of such elements to our strteetscapes - long before smoking bans were even on the table. The smoking ban and smokers, as has already been pointed out by HH, are now acting as a catalyst for this.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Toaster » Thu May 04, 2006 3:25 pm

crusty_bint wrote:Smokers are not the issue - canopies and awnings are. I have long advocated the return of such elements to our strteetscapes - long before smoking bans were even on the table. The smoking ban and smokers, as has already been pointed out by HH, are now acting as a catalyst for this.

So, I'm trying to work out the logic here. If we let pubs put up awnings, you think that'll have all the shopkeepers asking to put them up? How, exactly?
Toaster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu May 04, 2006 4:03 pm

:roll:

I see I'll have to tread carefully here Toaster as you seem to be taking things rather personally.

How is this for a scenario: pubs install canopies along thier fronts to afford thier smoking clientele some protection from the rain. You soon find people passing by duck under the canopies en route to get out of the rain for a blessed few seconds. Shopkeepers (in particular those who display thier wares in thier windows) soon cotton on that offering shoppers the chance to get out of the rain for a few seconds might encourage custom from said shoppers. Restraunts and Cafes soon follow suit and before you know it canopies are back and have the added value of detracting, or even masking, these vile shop signs this thread discusses, and everybody loves them.

Except, of course, the CC. And maybe Toaster.

Anyone else agree with me that the Community Council (from what I have read) are being a tad NIMBYistic? Does anyone else think that public houses, with proper guidance, installing canopies/awnings is the first, and a good step in the right direction for Glasgow's high streets? Or should we just not bother doing anything?
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Sharon » Thu May 04, 2006 4:10 pm

I'm not certain where I stand on canopies yet... as many end up manky and mouldy. Guidance on what acceptable use for the canopy surfaces regarding advertising - perhaps advertising limited to the business itself - and NOT drinks ads.

As for canopies outside pubs, I actually think this would tidy up the pavements a bit by unobtrusivly defining an area for the smokers to stand in ... rather than having them scattered right accross the pavements, and it would keep the rain off their fags. ;)

Given our climate I would really quite like to see HUGE glass canopies covering the streets! (Of course this wouldn't solve the smokers prob as they would instantly be inside... so round we go again)
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby crusty_bint » Thu May 04, 2006 4:18 pm

Ooops... I missed out one very important line in that last post. It should have started:

"Smoking aside..."

Glass canopies would be the ideal, canopies a start - imagine Royal Exchange Sq covered over with this:

Great Courtyard, British Museum

Or some streets like this shopping arcade in Milan:
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Sharon » Thu May 04, 2006 4:35 pm

It would be wonderful!

Enclosing outdoor spaces would add something really special to Glasgow AND be incredibly practical.

Who dow e need to speak to
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby My Kitten » Thu May 04, 2006 4:51 pm

hmm Royal Exchange Square would be a good starting point - and of course ashton lane - none of this please keep your pint behind the lines rubbish!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Thu May 04, 2006 6:34 pm

Toaster wrote:Certainly not naive - smokers are one hell of a persistent lot. I mean the amount of information out there now about what it does to you and those around you, combined with the obvious fact that cigarettes smell and taste like sh!t on a stick, and still something like a third of folk do it. But every now and then, the wee light bulb goes on, and one or two look at their next fag and say, hang on, whit's this crap?

This is the biggest pile of self-righteous crap I've read in a long while. The smokers have been thrown out into the street so maybe it's time to drop the condescending lecturing eh? Your wee pink lungs are now safe.

People know the harm fags, drink and fish suppers do to them. It's their choice so they don't really need your moralising.

And as far the gross exaggeration of wading through smokers to get to your flat goes may I respectfully suggest you move to a croft in Sutherland where not only are there no hordes of smokers to push through but you can get away from the nasty exhaust fumes outside your flat as well.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu May 04, 2006 6:43 pm

crusty_bint wrote:Was good to meet you too HH - and remember, I bought a round too (it was the women who were cheap :twisted: )

I'll buy everyone a round with my first buroo cheque!

Pub Canopies - The Quaich has some rather nice ones, will try and get a pic when I'm passing next.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Thu May 04, 2006 10:16 pm

I'm not totally convinced about glass canopies as they'd have to be well maintained and kept clean to look good.

As far as pub canopies go, here are the garish ones on Whistler's Mother compared to the nice subtle ones on Peckhams.

And the one on the Partick Tavern (sorry about the quality, it was raining!)

Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu May 04, 2006 10:24 pm

I had a wee look round Shawlands earlier and saw those ghastly ones on a pub, no wonder the CC oppose them as they look like OHP screens! Now these I certainly don't condone; Peckhams are not bad, if just a little meek. I'm talking more of the monsoon-proof type they had in the days of yore (when Dexter had to do manual labour :wink: ) and being constructive instead of being in outright opposition.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Thu May 04, 2006 10:42 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Part of my job with Curleys was to pull the awnings down in the morning and put them back again at night. They were substantial beasts

In Ayr today, bring back a memory or two?

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects