The Carrick/City of Adelaide

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Mori » Tue May 22, 2007 10:33 am

In the Herald today

A tale of two clippers

It could be fortuitous that the Clyde-built Cutty Sark went up in flames the week before The Carrick, the world's only other surviving tea clipper, is due to be consigned to oblivion. It would be difficult to exaggerate the importance of these two ships to Britain's maritime heritage. Like thoroughbred race horses, they were built for speed at a time when fortunes were to be made from reaching London with the first tea of the season out of Shanghai. Under full sail, they were not only a beautiful sight but for a brief period they were able to outpace the new generation of steamships. We will never see their like again and it would be tragic if 2007 saw the demise of them both.

In recent years their fortunes have contrasted sharply. While Cutty Sark embarked last year on a £25m renovation project, The Carrick has continued to deteriorate at the Scottish Maritime Museum in Irvine, after a £5m rescue plan failed to attract sufficient backing. It is a vivid illustration of the extent to which the estate agent's catchphrase, "Location, location, location", applies to British industrial and maritime heritage. It is almost inconceivable that The Carrick would have suffered this fate in the Solent or on the Thames. Scotland's preoccupation with fine art at the expense of its own industrial heritage is such that it would be easier to raise £5m for a Turner painting of The Carrick than the ship herself.

The current sad situation cannot be laid at the door of the Scottish Maritime Museum, whose trustees have strained every sinew to save the ship, having salvaged her from the bottom of the Clyde. Though built in Sunderland, The Carrick became a well-loved Glasgow landmark, as a base for the RNVR, and would make a fitting focus for the city's planned new riverside transport museum.The cruel fate of the Cutty Sark is a poignant reminder of what we are on the brink of losing forever. At the very least, there is surely a compelling argument for delaying the final decision to dismantle The Carrick - due next Tuesday - until a thorough survey can be made of what remains of the Cutty Sark to assess the chances of restoring that much-loved old lady. Meanwhile, Historic Scotland should bear the ongoing costs of The Carrick, which currently threaten to sink the poorly-supported maritime museum.

France, having realised its error in scrapping its historic ships, is now busy building replicas. We do not need to. Not yet. But, as Oscar Wilde might have put it: to lose one historic tea clipper may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Tue May 22, 2007 2:47 pm

I'm hearing noises about a campaign beginning to kick off to have her sunk in one of the Lochs (Long/Fyne) as a diver attraction (probably come to nowt). Not ideal, but better than having her broken up.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Tue May 22, 2007 2:57 pm

'kin disgraceful.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cozycoupe » Tue May 22, 2007 8:29 pm

did you see the Carrick on GMTV this morning, the weather girl was saying how the Cutty Sark is getting loads of money but nothing for the Carrick...........at least it was shown in its poor state on national tv....who knows what'll happen from this
Cheers all
Cozy Coupe
cozycoupe
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Peekay » Wed May 23, 2007 9:16 pm

Oh Dear:

The following statement was issued by the Chairman of the Trustees of the Scottish Maritime Museum on 21st May 2007

Statement from the Scottish Maritime Museum

The news of the fire on Cutty Sark and the possible damage to her very important iron frames is exceptionally sad and we very much hope that detailed examination will establish that the damage is not as severe as first thought.

The Trustees of the Scottish Maritime Museum are very concerned at the potential loss of our maritime heritage especially as the Museum has entered the final phase of preparing for the deconstruction of the City of Adelaide. We are continuing with the process and a panel of experts will be meeting next week to prepare the brief.

The City of Adelaide is an older clipper ship than the Cutty Sark and built for passengers rather than fast cargo carrying but together they represent the last 19th century composite clipper ships in the world.

It has been with very great regret that the Trustees have been forced, through lack of funding for the work of the museum and the preservation of its national collections, to go through with the deconstruction of the City of Adelaide.

I am of the opinion to sink her. Two reasons;
(1) She will continue to give enjoyment to however a small minority for 30-40yrs
(2) It's a damn sight more an honourable end than being broken up in a manky breakers somewhere.

PK

PS - Just had an afterthought. I wonder if it's a bluff to see if funding will magically appear out the ether! It is, at the moment, in the general publics eye
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cozycoupe » Fri May 25, 2007 6:03 pm

This is total nonsense.........why is the Cutty Sark getting all the money? Old buildings get preserved, this is an important piece of heritage and its just allowed to rot whether on land or sea? It makes me mad :evil:
Cheers all
Cozy Coupe
cozycoupe
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat May 26, 2007 12:10 am

Not trying to be facetious or anything but why dont you get up off your arses and do something if you feel so adamantly dis-heartened?
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby The_Clincher » Sat May 26, 2007 9:54 am

Anyone got a direct contact for Tom Hunter? :?

It would be good if we knew some-one like him would help out....but i doubt it will happen.
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gteman » Sun May 27, 2007 11:37 am

crusty_bint wrote:Not trying to be facetious or anything but why dont you get up off your arses and do something if you feel so adamantly dis-heartened?

I'm gobsmacked at the lack of effort in saving the carrick. I would be interested in doing something but am nieve in how to go about things like this.
Gteman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Graham » Sun May 27, 2007 11:49 am

I love this quote from the Scottish Maritime Museum website

The failure of an initial attempt to preserve the vessel by a newly established body, the Clyde Ship Trust, led to the involvement of the Scottish Maritime Museum. The ship, by 1991 in dire straits and at risk of total loss, was, through a very large scale operation, salvaged and removed in 1992 to Irvine, the headquarters of the Scottish Maritime Museum, for preservation and future restoration.

All that effort wasted eh, bet they won't be boasting about having chopped it up for scrap when the time comes :roll:
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cybers » Sun May 27, 2007 12:49 pm

They should have just let her wreck at her location in the city.
After all the pretentious set that have moved into River cottage might want a little scuba action.

Sold down the river is a phrase that springs to mind.
If cheese gets mouldy you throw it out...
Why buy it mouldy in the first place ?
cybers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cozycoupe » Mon May 28, 2007 10:27 am

crusty_bint wrote:Not trying to be facetious or anything but why dont you get up off your arses and do something if you feel so adamantly dis-heartened?

Reading through this and other sites seems to me as though people have tried to do something constructive or just lodged complaints but nothing seems to happen/deaf ears syndrome!
Cheers all
Cozy Coupe
cozycoupe
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon May 28, 2007 12:30 pm

Money is the main factor here, with all the different sources around to raise the cash no one seems to give a damn to do anything about it.

The maritime museum took this away for a £1 from the city if they havent been able to raise the money to at least keep it from demolition in 15 years what hope is there?

It would need a body that has interest in the ship to keep it.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon May 28, 2007 12:36 pm

I take that comment back Gteman and Cozycoupe, I was drunk at the time an d I have to admit that as much as I would love to do something to help save the old girl I am also at a total loss as to what to do!

Would GCC not have an easier time raising the funds for the restoration tho? Get it back here and berth her in the graving docks (in plain view of the BBC :wink:) for all to see and be shamed into donating!
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Graham » Mon May 28, 2007 1:37 pm

crusty_bint wrote:I take that comment back Gteman and Cozycoupe, I was drunk at the time an d I have to admit that as much as I would love to do something to help save the old girl I am also at a total loss as to what to do!

Would GCC not have an easier time raising the funds for the restoration tho? Get it back here and berth her in the graving docks (in plain view of the BBC :wink:) for all to see and be shamed into donating!

I'm just back from Irvine, and here's what I found ...............

p.s make sure and start from TOP LEFT :wink:
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects