The Carrick/City of Adelaide

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The Carrick/City of Adelaide

Postby The_Clincher » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:06 pm

I'm guessing most of you remember "The Carrick" that sat at Custom House Quay on the Clyde? (bottom of Stockwell Street, turn right....she was berthed on the Clyde facing the "Sheriff Coort") I have been fortunate enough to visit the Carrick at Irvine Harbour recently (where she is undergoing some much needed salvage repairs after being rescued from the murky depths of Princes Dock in 1992) I have several pics available which i shall send to Sharon who hopefully will be able to post them for you all to see. Please carry on with any memories/pics of this beautiful ship you may have! (I have a collection of 20 or so pics from the web, plus video & stills i took myself) I will make the pics available in the next day or so for you all to see...hope you guys have some memories etc :wink:
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:01 am

Ooops...i meant facing the SHERIFF Court :roll:
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:38 pm

Look forward to seeing your photos Clincher,I was on the Carrick in the late 80's working for the BBC filming BBC's short lived answer to Taggart
The Justice Game with Dennis Lawson.I remember the stale Gentelmans club smell, old cigar smoke and cooking smells with a hint of old boat.
I also got a few snaps from the suspension bridge when the Carrick was moved down river to Irvine.Cant remember what year but it was August
as that is the lowest tide on the Clyde,She was a sad sight witout her masts moving under the bridges as the tide moved in.
Not sure of her history but I think she may have done a polar expo as well as the Australian trade routes ??
would be intrested to hear any history...Is it possible to see the Carrick at Irvine?
Last edited by cumbo on Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:52 pm

Cumbo.....your experience is cool....i have only been on the Carrick as she is now....almost stripped to the bone inside....but i can imagine the smells etc as you describe them. I remember her clearly when i was 10-13 years old and onwards...but when i boarded her recently for construction purposes, i fell in love! I took some more pictures today of where she used to sit, and i shall also make them available. In answer to your question, it is possible to see her at Irvine Harbour, (about 2 mins drive from "The Magnum Centre") where she lies in a dry berth. You might not get as close as i did, but you will be able to take pics from 20-30 foot away from her stern. I was fortunate enough to have "Access All Areas" :wink: As you will see in pics when they get posted.
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:55 pm

I remember the master head ( if thats the right term) being light blue and white always amazed me as a wee chap.
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby The_Clincher » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:09 pm

Here is a link to a good site-

http://www.cityofadelaide.org/

"City of Adelaide" was her original name, and it is now her official name again. She ceased being SV Carrick after 1992...she was also HMS Carrick before that. :wink:
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:08 pm

The Modern Fossil wrote:I remember the master head ( if thats the right term) being light blue and white always amazed me as a wee chap.

Steady on, Foss, old chap. The "head" in a ship is the lavvy, so it's well seen that your interest in toilets extends to the naval variety. I'll say no more.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:10 pm

:oops: bugger
Fossil
-
-

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:49 pm

The Modern Fossil wrote::oops: bugger

literaly :?: :?
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:06 am

right whits Beltrami's number..... ::):
Fossil
-
-

Postby Sharon » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:16 am

and The Clinchers photographs can be seen here:

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/carrick
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cumbo » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:30 pm

I have a tear in my eyes ..Will try to get to Irvine this week
Thanks Clincher. :(
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:00 pm

Sorry it's a bit wonky doon the left hand side, it was scanned in from a book that refused to be flattened!
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:23 pm

Great pics Clincher. Looks like it would cost millions to put her right. All that double diagonal timber work looks well rotten. :(
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:14 pm

Glad you like the pics, folks (Many thanks to Sharon for posting them)

The plan for The Carrick is that she will go to Adelaide permanently if the estimated £12 million is found to fully restore her. They are mostly likely to get her supposedly by a scheme that will involve a local (optional) levy which will help fund her restoration and move to Aus.

This will depend on how quickly preperation works for the journey to Aus will take to complete.(Not the full restoration...only works that will keep her watertight etc and weatherproof) The shipwright involved in the project (very nice chap) reckons he can manage it in just over a year, upon which time there will be only 2 timeslots for The Carrick to be transported to Aus by a special ship designed for such purposes. That's the good news. If the timeslots are missed, the ship may not continue to receive funding to lie for another few years at her current berth and may finally have to be scrapped.....a tragedy considering that the ship has sailed to Aus & back 23 times, ran back & forth to Canada for 5 years been used as a hospital ship and a naval vessel, and sank THREE times....i call her "The ship that refused to die". I would love to see her restored in Glasgow again nevermind anywhere else....but The Government & Lottery people are'nt interested.

Here's hoping it's a story with a happy ending! :D
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects