Glasgow Uni Secret Tunnels

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Socceroo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:37 pm

brickwall wrote:
gordon wrote:Iron ore or something maybe? Remember looking at an old map of Gushetfaulds and the site of the Govan Iron Works, it had a mine right beside it. Could have been coal right enough, but conceivable they could have been connected.

Not knowing anything about Glasgow's geology makes this a wild guess.

I think they used to produce lime from the....er....limestone, and if Ican cofirm this on the map there was a mine round about where the footy pitches are, the ones below Ledcameroch Road and between the railwaiy. There were also mines around the Drumry Road but I don't know what they produced. However, it appears that limestone, coal and iron ore are found close to each other so it was probably a bit of all three.

In the 1600's and 1700's iron works were naturally close to coal and ore mines until the age of the large locomotives. Many of the mines in the west of Glasgow go back, at least partially, to the 1600's.

BTW, I have found a few air vents for mines. They are all out towards Bardowie and Craigmaddie and I would love to find one as close to Glasgow as possible. Does anybody know of one? Even if all that remains is just an old slab in the ground, it would make my year.

That's it Limestone. I am sure now someone said to me it was Limestone for Lime, that would make sense. And if there was Iron Ore yes then that would be extracted.

The only vents for Coal Mines that i have seen were the ones found in Cambuslang Investment Park which were fenced off for many years after some of the Steel Mills were demolished and they were found on the Site.

These Vents along with the actual Mine Shafts have been filled in. I recall that these were very deep Coal Mines.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Armadillo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:42 pm

Socceroo wrote:Apparently they were pumping Grout and Concrete into a shaft for weeks.

The apocryphal yarn that was doing the rounds about the Uni library in my day (and if anyone calls me simple, I'll deck 'em.....), was that the designers had done all their calculations about the weight and dimensions of the building etc, in the knowledge that there were mine workings in the vicinity, but had forgotten to factor in the weight of the books. Hmmm....

At any rate, it was certainly sliding downwards by the early 80s because they ended up doing exactly as Socceroo has eloquently described.
Armadillo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:54 pm

Armadillo wrote:
Socceroo wrote:Apparently they were pumping Grout and Concrete into a shaft for weeks.

The apocryphal yarn that was doing the rounds about the Uni library in my day (and if anyone calls me simple, I'll deck 'em.....), was that the designers had done all their calculations about the weight and dimensions of the building etc, in the knowledge that there were mine workings in the vicinity, but had forgotten to factor in the weight of the books. Hmmm....

At any rate, it was certainly sliding downwards by the early 80s because they ended up doing exactly as Socceroo has eloquently described.

I can't vouch for the "weight of the books" story but know from personal experience that a well-know bank on the outskirts of Edinburgh refused to tell the designers of their building what the maximum weight (including notes and coins) of the vault in their cash centre would be.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:12 am

brickwall wrote:BTW, I have found a few air vents for mines. They are all out towards Bardowie and Craigmaddie and I would love to find one as close to Glasgow as possible. Does anybody know of one? Even if all that remains is just an old slab in the ground, it would make my year.

You mean apart from these ones? ;)

Nodrog

PS Cheers for the eBeer!
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:18 am

Simba wrote:His story about the floor numbers wouldn't really fit anyway, as wasn't the old entrance to the library on level 3?

I think it was yes; but the numbering has changed over the years. The uni now generally uses a system where the lowest floor in a building is Level 1. This is regardless of ground level, so for example the ground floor in the Joseph Black is Level 3, as we have 2 basement levels [and below that the mine which doesn't count!].

Nodrog
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:25 am

nodrog wrote:
Simba wrote:His story about the floor numbers wouldn't really fit anyway, as wasn't the old entrance to the library on level 3?

I think it was yes; but the numbering has changed over the years. The uni now generally uses a system where the lowest floor in a building is Level 1. This is regardless of ground level, so for example the ground floor in the Joseph Black is Level 3, as we have 2 basement levels [and below that the mine which doesn't count!].

Nodrog

Ah okay, the physics building is a bit like that too I think and maths maybe as well, although it has two entrances on different levels. Cheers!
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects