Glasgow Uni Secret Tunnels

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby ibtg » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:13 pm

Further to my earlier post, I have now had a reply from the guy who went down the mines at the Uni - here is what he said:-

'I visited the mine below the Uni about ten years ago. You can only go there with a member of the estates department and it is not for public viewing. We got kitted out in paper coveralls, hard hats and flashlights. We gained entry through a door in the sub basement of the chemistry department building. It opens directly into Gilmorehill mine, and you can stand up in it at this point. As you advance into the mine the roof gets lower to the point where you are crawling on you stomach (not for the claustrophobic). There remains a wooden door to one of the coal seams and a little rail track and a bogey. At this point you are directly below Byres Road. It was quite an experience and I was very lucky to have gained entry.'

Hope this helps....
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby spincycle » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:57 pm

allyharp wrote:I'm interested in this too. Is this a flat door set into the ground or is it in a raised hut or something? I saw lots of metal guards, just like fancy drain covers, in the middle of the grass at the University Avenue side of the building. I didn't see anything near the flagpole today, but I only walked as far as the pole itself and then back towards the James Watt. I'll go round the other way and take a look soon, is it next to the building itself or on the other side of the path/road?

It's between the flagpole and The Davidson Building ('B1' on this crappily indexed map: http://www.gla.ac.uk/general/maps/colourmap.pdf).

The 'door' is set flat into the ground at an angle on the slope facing the Kelvingrove art gallery. I'll take some pics and post them asap.
spincycle
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby swavmcav » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:33 am

I studied physics at Glasgow (the building next to the chemistry department) and the rumour (I think from the acedemic staff) was that in the 50's and 60's low grade radioactive waste from the Western and possibly the department was disposed of in the mines below.

Don't know if that is true or not. It wouldn't entirely surprise given the shit they pulled at Douneray.

Did your friend have a kind of ready break glow about him when he came out?
swavmcav
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dmon » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:24 pm

hmm i think i might be talking about a different tunnel, the one that i seen was going into the uni as like a not, not on the ground or anything.
dmon
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby spincycle » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:31 pm

As promised here are some pics. Click for bigger:

This is taken from just past the Davidson Building facing East -

This is from the same direction, only closer -

The two openings -

Closer to the larger of the two openings -

This was taken through the crack of the two metal plates. There is a 'shaft' about 10 feet deep. On one side of the shaft there is a small arch which is 2 or 3 feet high. There is a large pipe coming out of the arch which bends and goes into the ground. One can just about see the top of the arch at the bottom of this pic -

So far, so dull.
Last edited by spincycle on Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spincycle
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby dmon » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:36 pm

aw i reconise this, is that not in the futher away part in kelvingrove?
dmon
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby spincycle » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:39 pm

dmon wrote:aw i reconise this, is that not in the futher away part in kelvingrove?
Technically not, you'd have to be on the other side of them railings for that :) (i.e. yes it is, but it's part of the uni).

ETA: There's a long metal spike tucked into the middle of the group of trees, the bottom of which is just visible in the fourth pic above). I think someone was using it to prise apart those metal plates. Not me obviously.
spincycle
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby My Kitten » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:29 pm

spincycle wrote:
dmon wrote:aw i reconise this, is that not in the futher away part in kelvingrove?
Technically not, you'd have to be on the other side of them railings for that :) (i.e. yes it is, but it's part of the uni).

ETA: There's a long metal spike tucked into the middle of the group of trees, the bottom of which is just visible in the fourth pic above). I think someone was using it to prise apart those metal plates. Not me obviously.

I hope not, a highly dangerous and illegal practice
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:14 pm

What like entering highly dangerous buildings without prior permission :roll:
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:18 pm

Vladimir wrote:

What like entering highly dangerous buildings without prior permission :roll:

Indeed, which isn't a thing that I would advise.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:24 pm

Indeed, which isn't a thing that I would advise.

:cry:
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pwm437 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:43 pm

stinkpad wrote:
nodrog wrote:The mine tunnels are a bit further down that this; I've finally tracked down where in the chemistry building the entrance to the nearest mine is, and it's well below the level of the sub-sub basement (the door is also firmly padlocked before anyone asks!). Investigations continue though... :)

Nodrog

Any chance of a photo?

A few years ago the firm I was with did a lot of work at the yooni and we got pally with the estates guys. They took two of us into Gilmorehill Mine, down through the chemistry building as you describe. We had overalls, hard hats, torches etc. As we walked into the mine the roof level began to reduce and we were by now crawling along (not for the claustrophobic). There is still a narrow guage railway line and a wooden door closing off one of the seams. Excellent experience, followed by a trip to the top of the tower, legs like jelly climbing the steps, but the view worth it. Great day at work and got paid for it to boot
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby brickwall » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:36 pm

Nothing like reviving a slow thread.

Found this stuff after sniffing round the interweb.
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AMcD » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:11 am

Great stuff!

Cheers for reviving this and posting yer new info.
This is why Hidden Glasgow is as good as it is! :D
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:35 am

Where's the last picture? Bricks look a bit like Joe Black but can't work out what they'd be excavating for a new building that close to it.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects