Glasgow Uni Secret Tunnels

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Blueboy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:08 pm

Ronnie wrote:Would it be a huge heap of trouble for one of you to go to the Mitchell Library and get the big maps out? The large scale ones will show the entrances you are looking for/ have seen, and may even indicate where any tunnels are.

For me, it's so much more interesting to read about the solutions to problems, and not just people moaning about what they don't know and can't be ars*d to go and look up.

No offence intended, of course.

Goan yersel big man! :D
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:41 pm

job78989 wrote:Hi all,

In defence of Ronnie,who I am sure is more than able to do so himself. I think that he may simply have been making the point that if the original posters are trawling around the grounds of Glasgow Uni, then they are likely to be students who should be more than capable of walking down to north St to find the information. Encouraging them to be at least a little acaedemic in their approach.

I accept the points made by others, that not everyone has time, ability nor inclination to go to the mitchell.

But a wee plug now have a look:Here

John

I'm seriously fed up of people who think students have all the time in the world. I have 7 exams in May, so really don't have the time despite all the myths that surround student life. It's all very well if you have a 9-5 job that you can come home from and have your tea and then have your evenings free. I admit I procrastinate in doing work but I certainly don't have the time to run down to the Mitchell to find out things, when a forum is designed for asking questions and is far more accessible for a few hours a week.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:39 pm

Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Simba » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:57 pm

Grow up.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:13 pm

Fossil
-
-

Postby Blueboy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:36 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:Image

Hey Foss, nae football related stuff on HG. Stop posting pictures of Gordon Strachan.
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:48 pm

Simba wrote:

I'm seriously fed up of people who think students have all the time in the world. I have 7 exams in May, so really don't have the time despite all the myths that surround student life.

Still got plenty of time to post on here though....
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:57 pm

I bet you were keeping that wee minx for the "Would Ye" thread.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:03 pm

Schiehallion wrote:

I bet you were keeping that wee minx for the "Would Ye" thread.

::): Can you handle the picture I found of wee jimmy? out of uniform?

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:15 pm

Modern Fossil wrote: ::): Can you handle the picture I found of wee jimmy? out of uniform?

Fossil

Is that 'out of uniform' as in wearing a posh frock instead or is it 'out of uniform' as in a warts and all burst couch sort of a way?
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:15 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:Can you handle the picture I found of wee jimmy? out of uniform?

Please no! Some of us are still scarred.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:14 am

Back on topic, the entrance you found (sounds like it's down under the bridge that is the entrance to Computing Service in James Watt North, but I could be wrong) is most likely access to one of the maintenance tunnels that run under some parts of the campus connecting the buildings for network cabling, pipes and the like.

The mine tunnels are a bit further down that this; I've finally tracked down where in the chemistry building the entrance to the nearest mine is, and it's well below the level of the sub-sub basement (the door is also firmly padlocked before anyone asks!). Investigations continue though... :)

Nodrog
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:30 am

nodrog wrote:The mine tunnels are a bit further down that this; I've finally tracked down where in the chemistry building the entrance to the nearest mine is, and it's well below the level of the sub-sub basement (the door is also firmly padlocked before anyone asks!). Investigations continue though... :)

Nodrog

Any chance of a photo?
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:02 pm

I went to take a look today, does this look like the lane you mentioned?
Last edited by allyharp on Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:10 pm

spincycle wrote:There's a metal doored (or, covered) entrance to something, at the other side of the main university building, just down from the flagpole, heading towards the Dumbarton Road entrance. I used to think it lead to an old air-raid shelter (don't know why, I just did), maybe it's another hidden tunnel into more deserted rooms or old mine workings.

I'm interested in this too. Is this a flat door set into the ground or is it in a raised hut or something? I saw lots of metal guards, just like fancy drain covers, in the middle of the grass at the University Avenue side of the building. I didn't see anything near the flagpole today, but I only walked as far as the pole itself and then back towards the James Watt. I'll go round the other way and take a look soon, is it next to the building itself or on the other side of the path/road?
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects