Glasgow Uni Secret Tunnels

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow Uni Secret Tunnels

Postby dmon » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:02 pm

Ages ago on a random expidition walking about the glasgow uni one night, i found a sort of hidden lane, just down from where the big dinosaur was placed at the front. I walked down the lane with 2 of my mates and there was a wall with a sort of metal door, this wasnt made for people to look about in due to it was welded shut but part of it was open. I opend the metal door and looked inside...there was an old tunnel leading right underneeth the old part of the uni, i ended up goin back with some more mates a few nights later and we had a torch to walk through it, we went inside and it was so thick with dust, we crawled right through for about 1 minute (yes we had to crawl the tunnel was under a meter high) we ended up coming to a split up tunnel which went different ways, we took the left one (i think) and kept on crawling, we came to a sort of open area place, a room if you must say. it has been disued for a good while. to be honest i dont even know if it was a room but there was old tennents cans from about 20 years ago.

has anyone ever found this same tunnel? id like to know because i wont to know where the other tunnels lead. cheers, dom. :D
dmon
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Glasgow Uni Secret Tunnels

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:03 am

dmon wrote:has anyone ever found this same tunnel? id like to know because i wont to know where the other tunnels lead. cheers, dom. :D

Not me, Dmon ma man, but if you want to buy an unused Hard Hat, Hi-vis Vest, big feck aff Rubber Torch & Steelies, drop me a line.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:56 am

Sounds very interesting indeed. What are the chances of it still being accesible?
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:22 pm

Describe the location of the door a bit more? Will hunt when I'm back next week if I remember!
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Grahame » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:06 pm

Now this rings vague bells... I can remember hearing (a lot of years ago), that there were old mine shafts under University Ave. that the university used for long-term storage. Could this be those?
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ibtg » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:03 pm

Grahame wrote:Now this rings vague bells... I can remember hearing (a lot of years ago), that there were old mine shafts under University Ave. that the university used for long-term storage. Could this be those?

I know someone who may have been down these tunnels with the knowledge of and accompanied by someone from the Uni.

I will try to remember to ask him about them and post anything I find out.

Meanwhile, I'm sure some of the intrepid explorers on this site will enlighten you!
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby allyharp » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:04 pm

Simba wrote:Describe the location of the door a bit more? Will hunt when I'm back next week if I remember!

I intend to do the same, so if you see anyone wandering around looking a bit confused it may well be me!
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:24 pm

Sorry mods if I'm stepping on your toes, but here's a previous thread
on the topic of tunnels and mines under Glasgow Uni:

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... y+mine#623
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby spincycle » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:07 pm

There's a metal doored (or, covered) entrance to something, at the other side of the main university building, just down from the flagpole, heading towards the Dumbarton Road entrance. I used to think it lead to an old air-raid shelter (don't know why, I just did), maybe it's another hidden tunnel into more deserted rooms or old mine workings.
spincycle
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Ronnie » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:13 pm

Would it be a huge heap of trouble for one of you to go to the Mitchell Library and get the big maps out? The large scale ones will show the entrances you are looking for/ have seen, and may even indicate where any tunnels are.

For me, it's so much more interesting to read about the solutions to problems, and not just people moaning about what they don't know and can't be ars*d to go and look up.

No offence intended, of course.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:35 pm

Ronnie wrote:Would it be a huge heap of trouble for one of you to go to the Mitchell Library and get the big maps out? The large scale ones will show the entrances you are looking for/ have seen, and may even indicate where any tunnels are.

Wow, Doc, what size is "Big" in feet & inches? Is it as big as "Large Scale"?
While we are on the subject, how big is a "Huge Heap"? ::): ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:04 am

Ronnie wrote:Would it be a huge heap of trouble for one of you to go to the Mitchell Library and get the big maps out?

Hi Ronnie.

I'd like you to take a look at (but a single example from many) this thread which shows how this site works when it works well.

You see, somebody posts a question, then other people when reading that enquiry shed further light upon it - if they can.

Please don't take offence, but your "why can't you just go and research it like I would do" interjections continue to add little to this site. It's a shame as the quality of your posts in the areas of your expertise (combined with your obvious passion to the cause of HiddenGlasgow) makes you one of the good guys around here.

We're not all PHD researchers and sometimes the anecdotal replies posted are every bit as valuable as an academically correct answer.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:40 am

I've never been to the Mitchell Library in my life, in fact, I don't think I've ever even seen the front door. I'd be a bit lost looking for some old maps and I definitely won't have any time to go until Thursday at least. I'll maybe take a look for the doors mentioned on Tuesday, if I remember, and take photos of what I see.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:09 am

Ronnie wrote:Would it be a huge heap of trouble for one of you to go to the Mitchell Library and get the big maps out?

Yes. I've not been in Glasgow for 3 weeks. But what a rubbish forum this would be if every post was answered with 'go look in the Mitchell' or something similar. Do the maps come with accompanying stories of adventures down these tunnels? Probably not, so HG forums are probably the best bet for finding out if anyone has been down there.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby job78989 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:29 am

Hi all,

In defence of Ronnie,who I am sure is more than able to do so himself. I think that he may simply have been making the point that if the original posters are trawling around the grounds of Glasgow Uni, then they are likely to be students who should be more than capable of walking down to north St to find the information. Encouraging them to be at least a little acaedemic in their approach.

I accept the points made by others, that not everyone has time, ability nor inclination to go to the mitchell.

But a wee plug now have a look:Here

John
Sometimes the people need to speak if they want to be heard.
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects