Glasgow's Industry

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow's Industry

Postby ChrisWoods » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:13 pm

I've worked for two of Glasgow's most famous Engineering firms and would like to share some stories and history
ChrisWoods
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:23 pm

Why not start one Chris. I would be interested. I will look out my old stuff on the old Stewart & Lloyds laterly known as BSC Tubes Tollcross. The old office block is still there in front of the Fullerton Park houses off Tollcross Road between Killin Street and Amulree Street.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ChrisWoods » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 pm

Maybe I just have :wink:

I served an apprenticeship with Barr & Stroud. They've already appeared in this Form somewhere. Their original workshop was in Ashton Lane, (now the Attic pub), they then moved on to Caxton Street Anniesland and that site has since been demolished to make way for the current Morrison's store.

The new site is in Linthouse, either the old Fairfield or Stevensons shipyard.

Loads of history about the firm aside from the geographical interest
ChrisWoods
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:43 pm

Any Photos Chris?

I amsure when everyone gets home from the pub this topic will get lots of interest. There may be others on here who have something of interest relating to Glasgow's Industial History.

I worked for four years at Tollcross befor moving to the Head Office for BSC Plates in Oswald Street where I worked for a period of three years.

Tollcross has four factory bays and a lot of the pipe work assembled there went to Russia for a large pipeline that linked to various parts of the old Soviet Union. They also did a big job for the Italians before it closed in I think it was 1984.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:43 pm

ChrisWoods wrote:Maybe I just have :wink:

I served an apprenticeship with Barr & Stroud. They've already appeared in this Form somewhere. Their original workshop was in Ashton Lane, (now the Attic pub), they then moved on to Caxton Street Anniesland and that site has since been demolished to make way for the current Morrison's store.

Loads of history about the firm aside from the geographical interest

My dad worked in Barr & Stroud during WWII, despite (maybe because of) having fought in Spain a few years before.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ChrisWoods » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:58 pm

Alex, I've got lots of good photos, unfortunately in book form, I need to work out how to scan, upload and post.

Very interesting that there was a pipework manufacturer in Glasgow, nowadays, there's only 4 or 5 major pipe manufacturers in the world.
ChrisWoods
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby ChrisWoods » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:00 pm

ChrisWoods wrote:Alex, I've got lots of good photos, unfortunately in book form, I need to work out how to scan, upload and post.

Very interesting that there was a pipework manufacturer in Glasgow, nowadays, there's only 4 or 5 major pipe manufacturers in the world.

That is interesting, B&S workers were exempt from conscription during the war because of the vital part they played in the war effort.

Also, during their Centenery year in 1988, they had an exibition and the centre piece was a Luffewaffe (sp?) map of the Anniesland area with B&S circled as a target. Despite this Anniesland was unscathed during the blitz, but they did have it in their sights.

If only Anniesland Court was around in those days eh ? :wink:
Last edited by ChrisWoods on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisWoods
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:03 pm

ChrisWoods wrote:
ChrisWoods wrote:Alex, I've got lots of good photos, unfortunately in book form, I need to work out how to scan, upload and post.

That is interesting, B&S workers were exempt from conscription during the war because of the vital part they played in the war effort.

Reserved occupation I believe they called it. My mum had enlisted in'38 to avoid ending up in munitions or parachute packing.

She said she prefered to be a moving target.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:30 pm

Chris

Check out the section on Photography. There are a couple of host sites there for you to upload your scanned photographs to for posting to HG.

If you need any advice there are lots of people here who would be willing to assist.

You mentioned the you worked for to engineering companies what was the other one?
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:20 am

Visit the Virtual Mitchell for some old photos on enineering.

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/cgi-bin/vm/main.plx
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:19 am

Chris... start a new thread with a definitive title in Hidden Glasgow Projects :D
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby ChrisWoods » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:39 am

Alex Glass wrote:

Chris

Check out the section on Photography. There are a couple of host sites there for you to upload your scanned photographs to for posting to HG.

If you need any advice there are lots of people here who would be willing to assist.

You mentioned the you worked for to engineering companies what was the other one?

The other was Weir Pumps in Cathcart, but I wasn't with them very long so I'm not so hot on their history, I'm sure there are posters on here who are though.

There must also be many with stories to tell from the major Shipbuilders which have sadly all but disappeared now.
ChrisWoods
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby ChrisWoods » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:40 am

crusty_bint wrote:Chris... start a new thread with a definitive title in Hidden Glasgow Projects :D

I think Fossil's going to take care of that for me.

As if by magic ::):
ChrisWoods
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:13 pm

I would guess that everyone has already seen this one:
Ashton Lane
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:02 am

ChrisWoods wrote:

They're at the old site of Alexander Stephens shipyard in Linthouse, Fairfields has survived as BAE Govan, I served my time there 1961-66.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects