Glasgow Statues

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow Statues

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:08 pm

Everybody knows about the many statues in George Square. What about those others that are in other parts of the City.

Can you help by posting any you know of. I was in Elder Park today and say the John Elder statue and his wife Isabella. Would like to know where there are others.

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:20 pm

Just went through all my pics and can find tons of Sculpture and the like but only one Statue (the obvious one at that :oops: ), strange.

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:24 pm

Hi Hollow

Would like to see waht you have got. I know of some others but there are so many I would like to collect as many as possible.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:35 pm

Alex, what defines a Statue rather than a Sculpture? Seriously, where is the dividing line? Is it an "Age" thing? Do we now have "Sculptures" rather than "Statues"?

Sculpture or Statue?

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:52 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Alex, what defines a Statue rather than a Sculpture? Seriously, where is the dividing line? Is it an "Age" thing? Do we now have "Sculptures" rather than "Statues"?

I would go for a statue as being comemorative and a sculpture as being decorative.

Although the ones you show at ClydeBuilt could be argued to be comemorative I would say they were decorative.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:13 pm

Thanks again HH didn't think of it like that. I suppose the Donald Dewar statue could also be classed as a sculpture as can any other within the City.

I don't mind what you want to refer to any will do.

There has been talk that the statues/sculptures in George Square should be moved. There is an argument that they do not refelct Glasgow in the 21st century. Originally they were intended for the entrance to Bellahouston Park. I know there are a few others thoughout the city and I thought it would be a good idea to know more about them.

I beleive there was a book written about the statues/sculptures in George Square by Councillor Malcolm Green. I will need to ask for it in the Councillors Library the next time I'm in the Chambers. If I find anything of interest I will post it here.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:22 pm

Alex Glass wrote:I don't mind what you want to refer to any will do.

This boy's a fool! Hunners o' Hollow's pics to follow!!!! :wink:

Alex Glass wrote:There has been talk that the statues/sculptures in George Square should be moved. There is an argument that they do not refelct Glasgow in the 21st century.

Och FFS, obviously they don't, Christ oan a cross, tell you what, let's pull down anything over 50 years old, history is fine in it's place as long as it does not get in the way of "Vibrancy"
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:32 pm

HH just thought it should be brought into the public domain. Remember the time before they altered the square. It is not wise to do these things without giving consideration to public opinion.

If its in Glasgow I'm interested so post away HH hope to see more of your collection.

I went round the Square last week and took pictures of all but two of the statues/sculptures. Will get the other two next week. I also got the Duke of Wellington but he didn't have his hat on that day so thanks for that one HH.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:48 pm

Alex Glass wrote:HH just thought it should be brought into the public domain.
Too troo, Alex, the thing is that these days, naebuddy is surprised anymerr. It's aw goin' by us sae fast...........

Alex Glass wrote:If its in Glasgow I'm interested so post away HH hope to see more of your collection.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hollowhorn/sets/ Image
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:56 pm

Thanks HH

Using a slow computer just now not on Broadband so can't see many pictures and it doesn't allow access to some sites. I will visit your picture site when I get back to my other computer.

Back on the statues. It was some time ago that I heard it mentioned and beleive it has been ruled out as there were too many against an suggestion that the Square should be radically changed. But, you never know.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:01 am

Common sense prevailed then, Alex, but, jeepers creepers, name me one person (in or out of the "know") who can defend the abomination that is the "G" spot, how did we let it slip away? :?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:09 am

HollowHorn wrote:Common sense prevailed then, Alex, but, jeepers creepers, name me one person (in or out of the "know") who can defend the abomination that is the "G" spot, how did we let it slip away? :?

It must be this cold but I am going to fall for this one and ask the question that every man asks. "What is the "G" spot"?
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:24 am

Alex Glass wrote:It must be this cold but I am going to fall for this one and ask the question that every man asks. "What is the "G" spot"?

Sorry, Alex, I just meant "George Square" :P you know, thon wee spot in the middle o' Glesga ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:34 am

oooooohhhhh! That wee spot that generates lots of emotion.

Geore Square has changed over the years and some would say not for the better. But, it is a very popular space and a mixture of demands. I'm all for keeping the statues and think thet the present situation allows other uses that have proven to be popular with Glasgow people.

Some events though may be better in other part of the city. I think the Square is looking good at the moment but again others may have a different opinion.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:42 am

Alex Glass wrote:I think the Square is looking good at the moment but again others may have a different opinion.

Arf arf, Alex, you were doing so well too, run and hide now, INCOMING!!!!!
hahahahahahaha
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects