Hidden Glasgow War Memorials.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby glasgowken » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:15 pm

Some nice pics of Glasgow Corporation Tramways war memorials from The Glasgow Story website.
They've since been moved to the garden of remembrance behind Parkhead Depot, along with other memorials from closed depots,

Parkhead Depot memorial.
http://www.theglasgowstory.com/imagevie ... 1057ca0f8f

Denniston Depot memorial.

Possilpark Depot memorial. (far as I know this is also in the garden now)
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:59 am

There are 2 Memorial Plaques in Paisley's main Post Office, remembering the Employees who perished in both World Wars. I would imagine that the main PO's in Glasgow would have the same?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:53 am

I’ve often wondered what happens when a old building get demolished. Where does the memorial plaque go?

I remember years back at Farme Cross I think the company was The British Rope works [site of the new Tesco near Rutherglen] They had a massive memorial to all their workers who died in both wars

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby DMcNay » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:16 pm

When a building gets demolished...sometimes they get moved, sometimes they don't. The First world War Memorial to the Glasgow Highlanders (9th HLI) was demolished at the same time as their headquarters in the 60s and is now part of the foundations of the M8.

Right, here's a few memorials for you:

Kelvingrove Park: Highland Light Infantry Boer War Memorial. There's also the statue to Field Marshall Lord Roberts, though not a War Memorial as such.

Western Necropolis has a South African War Memorial. No names on it, and I haven't a clue about it. Neither do Historic Scotland. The big white memorial next to the Crematorium isn't a War Memorial as such. It's a Cross of Sacrifice which is put up by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission if a cemetery has over a certain number of War Graves. I think it's 40. If you look around that cemetery you'll find loads of them, including a small patch of twelve Australians and at least one German grave.

Glasgow Cathedral has plenty, including ones to individual men from the RAMC and the RE in the Boer War. Also has the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) plaque from the Boer War. I think their colours were laid up there when they disbanded.

The Glasgow Academy memorial is on Great Western Road. I have their Roll of Honour book for the First World War as well.

There used to be a memorial to the Union Bank of Scotland in their main office. It's the one getting a ridiculous new roof on it at the moment. No idea where the memorial is now. Hopefully it'll be at the Bank of Scotland head office in Edinburgh. I'll make enquiries.

The memorial for Glasgow and South West Railways which used to be in St Enoch Station is now in Ayr Station. I got a photo last week, if you want I'll post it up.

Moving outside of Glasgow there are loads of "hidden" memorials. There's one in Coatbridge to the men from Kipps Locomotive Repair Dept. It's on the side of an Indian Restaurant which used to be a working mens club.

Hamilton has a cenotaph like Glasgow and four MASSIVE plaques inside the town hall.

Wishaw has three war memorials. Not including any in churches. None of them have a complete list of names, as "Soldiers Died in the Great War" lists over 200 men from the town dying. That's just for the Army. Add more for Navy and Air Force, plus any second World War dead.

Mention of Glasgows War Dead...I have a copy of the Roll of Honour for WW1 for Glasgow. There's over 18,000 names in there.

Gimme a name, I'll do a lookup. I'll even throw in a check of both the CWGC and "Soldiers Died in the Great War" for you, entirely free of charge.

What you can also do is go here: http://www.ukniwm.org.uk and do a search for any Glasgow Memorials.There's a few Polish ones on there, but it's not complete by any means.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:50 pm

I think you can see a memorial in Cardonald Cemetery from the bus as it goes along Corkerhill Road.

I think there are war grave here as well. There is a row of similar headstones not far from what looks like a monument.

Does anyone know if the villages of Glasgow had their own First World War memorial. Some of the villages didn't become part of Glasgow until after the war.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

kelvin?

Postby yourebarred » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:51 pm

isnt there one in the kelvin hall?
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:17 pm

James Dalrymple (right) in 1933, attending the unveiling of the GCT memorial at their HQ in Bath Street (now in the Transport Museum).
He was General Manager of GCT during the WW1 years, and the person who did the most to raise the 15th Battalion HLI (The Tramway Battalion).

glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:47 pm

There is a monument outside the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. Its got to be one of the best memorials apart from the Cenotaph. Unfortunately the only photo I have of it has kids all over it. Does anyone have a photo of this monument?

I don't know if this counts as a memorial but there is a light in the City Chambers dedicated to the nurses who served in France during WWI. There is also two books in a glass case listing those who died during each of the World Wars.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:27 pm

Alex Glass wrote:There is a monument outside the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. Its got to be one of the best memorials apart from the Cenotaph. Unfortunately the only photo I have of it has kids all over it. Does anyone have a photo of this monument?

Photos available here (scroll down and you'll find it listed as "Cameronians War Memorial"):

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]

Adam Brown, who took most of these photos, agrees with you about that memorial. As do I, it's one of the best I've ever seen.

My favourite is in France, and is the grave of a company of the Devonshire Regiment, buried in the trench they died in. The inscription reads "The Devonshires held this trench. They hold it still."

DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:43 am

My dad fought in Burma and told me a story about the monument erected in Kohima. It isn't the most outstanding monument

http://www.burmastar.org.uk/epitaph.htm

It's the inscription

"When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

that gets me every time. I beleive that the funding of the memorial was made up from contributions from all the solders in the 2nd Division.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:10 pm

Here is the Cenotaph

and the the Cross up at Lambhill Crem
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peter » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:42 pm

HLI memorial Kelvingrove Park
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Oban

Postby peter » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:50 pm

Not exactly a hidden memorial
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Oban

Postby peter » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:52 pm

11 November 2005
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:37 pm

Alex Glass wrote:
and the the Cross up at Lambhill Crem
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f310/alexglass/LambhillCross2.jpg

That's the Cross of Sacrifice I was talking about.

Here's a couple more:

Not exactly hidden this one. Central Station. Crap photo, but Rush hour isn't the best time to try and get this:

Here's a truly hidden one. Stewarts and Lloyds Works Memorial. Not currently on public display:

Here's another Glasgow related one. This used to be on display at St Enoch Station. Now at Ayr. Glasgow and South Western Railways:

Finally, not Glasgow, but you could say it's hidden. This is the memorial for the village of Haywood. This is all that remains of the village:

DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects