Hidden Glasgow War Memorials.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hidden Glasgow War Memorials.

Postby Avenger » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 pm

Don't know if this counts but each of the blocks of flats in the Wyndford carries a name plaque. As a kid I was told that these were the surnames of soldiers serving with the HLI who had earned high military honours. The blocks of flats were effectively memorials to the soldiers.
Avenger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Thursday 08 March 2012

GCC

Glasgow sets up project to record its war memorials

University students are helping Glasgow to map the city’s war memorials in a unique partnership which it hopes will help protect them for future generations.

Glasgow City Council’s Historic Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde’s Business School have challenged 240 first year students to gather and record information on all war memorials in the city as part of their course.

The majority of war memorials were created by a local community through public subscriptions. These communities maybe geographical or based on a workplace, place of worship school or social group.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:02 pm

Mori wrote:Thursday 08 March 2012

GCC

Glasgow sets up project to record its war memorials

University students are helping Glasgow to map the city’s war memorials in a unique partnership which it hopes will help protect them for future generations.

Glasgow City Council’s Historic Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde’s Business School have challenged 240 first year students to gather and record information on all war memorials in the city as part of their course.

The majority of war memorials were created by a local community through public subscriptions. These communities maybe geographical or based on a workplace, place of worship school or social group.

A former colleague is leading this and he told me that he had directed students to this thread.
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Interesting. I helped in the search for the Lyon St. memorial while working at the Mitchell a few years ago. It still hasn't been found but a version of it was unveiled at St Joseph's Primary in a rather moving but enjoyable service. There's a copy on display in Woodside Library.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:44 pm

There's some chat about this over on the Scottish War Memorials Project website.

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtop ... warmemscot
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ElvisPaisley » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi everyone. I am the academic listed in this story and these are the students in my class. Actually the hidden heritage theme is something we cover often. I have directed them to the Hidden Glasgow site.

All the best! :)
ElvisPaisley
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:33 pm

Greetings and welcome Elvis.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ElvisPaisley » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:39 am

The Egg Man wrote:Greetings and welcome Elvis.

Thangyooverrymudge
ElvisPaisley
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:31 pm

:D
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Sun May 20, 2012 10:06 pm

OK, not Glasgow. From the Clydebank walk today

Clydebank War Memorial Hall St by guachglw, on Flickr
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:16 pm

job78989 wrote:Don't know if this is a war memorial or not it is the one in Gorbals Rose Garden, formerly known as Gorbals burialground. It is dedicated to everyone who served their country and has a plaque dedicated to James Stokes VC 1915 -1945. I have posted a few pics on the Glasgow cemetarys thread, but I will post the memorial here as well, its a very modern one and was opened by Councillor Mutter in 2005.

The cemetary also has a very early grave stone dated 1741:

A much-loved Glasgow memorial dedicated to a local war hero has been desecrated.

The Gorbals Rose War Memorial was erected in honour of one-time local resident James Stokes, who was killed in action in the Second World War and who was awarded the Victoria Cross.

In the night-time incident – just 100 yards from Gorbals police station – the heartless culprits left the 10ft bronze rose bent and stole the head.

Police are as yet unsure whether the motive was vandalism or metal theft.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/no-r ... t.17754906
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:08 pm

utter bastards.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:57 am

banjo wrote:utter bastards.

Agreed and quite beyond my understanding why individuals do this.
If it's for metal theft its surely hardly worth the effort but then again it didn't stop them in Warrington.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:05 pm

The Scottish War Memorials Project reports that CWGC will have a stand at the over 50+ show on 9th 10th November at SECC in Glasgow. Local and HQ staff will be attending bringing up a lot of material and artwork and have the ability to search for casualties if required.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby frankquinn24 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:56 pm

This forum did not really get my attention untll now although its been going for some time. I often have a quick look at war memorials in places I visit. A common type which often attracts me is a soldier with reversed rifle. one of this type is in Killin. One I do have a pic of one in Carnforth. What prompts this response is that I was investigating for a friend, gravestones for victims of the Clydebank raids in1941, who were buiried outside the area. Lennoxtown has a number of these, including a mass grave of victims.(Lennox Castle Hospital was near here) Point is ,there were two German Airmen buried in the old Kirk Graveyard, victims of a plane shot down and crashed in the Campsie Hills. They were aparently left unmarked untill after the war to avoid dessicration, but later headstones erected. One of the bodies was later removed back to Germany But the wife of the other asked for him to be left in peace where he lay. The widow apparently attended the remberance services held in Lennoxtown untill a few years back when she became too infirm to attend. I have a picture of the Gravestone somewhere and will look it out for posting
frankquinn24
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects