Hidden Glasgow War Memorials.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hidden Glasgow War Memorials.

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:24 pm

150 anniversery of the Nitshill Mining Disaster Memorial Service.

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PATRICA1 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:37 pm

HELLO ALL, I HAVE BEEN PHOTOGRAPHING AND VERY INTERESTED IN GLASGOW AND SCOTTISH MEMORIALS ALL MY ADULT LIFE AND HAVE SEEN A LOT OF HIDDEN AND LOST MEMORIALS,ONE THAT COMES TO MIND IS THE CHURCH AT THE TOP OF BYRES RD (ORAN MOR) THE ENTRANCE AT GREAT WESTERN RD HAS THE BELLS DEDICATED TO THE FALLEN OF THE PARISH EASILY MISSED,i ALSO HAVE AN OLD SEPIA FOTY OF A GLASGOW COMPANYS FALLEN.
ALSO ALEX GLASS GET IN TOUCH I WILL TELL A STORY OF THE NITSHILL MINING MEMORIAL.
STRICKY.
PATRICA1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby PATRICA1 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:57 am

On this saddest of sundays,Remember Pte 1728, James Strickland KIA 12th july 1915 at Achi Baba Nullah(GALLIPOLI)
PATRICA1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby duck » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:10 pm

PATRICA1 wrote:On this saddest of sundays,Remember Pte 1728, James Strickland KIA 12th july 1915 at Achi Baba Nullah(GALLIPOLI)

What a nice idea Patricia. Please also remember my uncle ( from the Scots Roll of Honour, http://www.scotsatwar.org.uk)

"Rafferty, William, Private, 1/6th Battalion Highland Light Infantry, Number 240521. Born Glasgow. Son of Mary Begg Rafferty (nee Black) and the late Andrew Rafferty 1 Catherine Place, Anderston, Glasgow. Enlisted in Glasgow. Died of Wounds on 11th November 1917 he is buried in Deir El Belah War Cemetery, Palestine, Grave reference B.67. Name submitted by his Nephew in France. '

He could even have crossed paths with your James. William arrived in Gallipoli on July 7th 1915. He did survive that campaign but was sent straight from there to Egypt where he was killed just after the Battle of Gaza, en route to Jerusalem.
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby PATRICA1 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:31 pm

Thanks Duck,None of them should but very sadly they do,For my part I collect HLI medals (a link with the past maybe)I never got james`s medals probaly tossed out or just lost in the ether,A strange one though I bought a set of medals to brothers who stood in line with him Privates 1725 and 1729 both thankfully never got a scratch,It really was a lottery for them all.
Ian.
PATRICA1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Roxburgh » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:05 am

PATRICA1 wrote:Thanks Duck,None of them should but very sadly they do,For my part I collect HLI medals (a link with the past maybe)I never got james`s medals probaly tossed out or just lost in the ether,A strange one though I bought a set of medals to brothers who stood in line with him Privates 1725 and 1729 both thankfully never got a scratch,It really was a lottery for them all.
Ian.

I find there is something distasteful about medals being bought and sold. We still have my grandfather's 1914-1915 Star, his Victory medal and his Imperial Service medal. They will be staying in the family if I have anything to do with it.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:46 am

Roxburgh wrote:
PATRICA1 wrote:Thanks Duck,None of them should but very sadly they do,For my part I collect HLI medals (a link with the past maybe)I never got james`s medals probaly tossed out or just lost in the ether,A strange one though I bought a set of medals to brothers who stood in line with him Privates 1725 and 1729 both thankfully never got a scratch,It really was a lottery for them all.
Ian.

I find there is something distasteful about medals being bought and sold. We still have my grandfather's 1914-1915 Star, his Victory medal and his Imperial Service medal. They will be staying in the family if I have anything to do with it.

Some families will have little or no choice about selling medals. While medals still have a cash value and poverty still exists people will do what they have to to get by.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PATRICA1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:00 am

Sorry DUCK,that last one was for ROXBURGH.
PATRICA1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby PATRICA1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:12 am

Hello onyirtod,Point taken,but 90% odd of medals will only get you a couple of fish suppers,sad but true you would be best to keep them as oneday your next of kin will thank you,dont forget its their history to (DAD WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO GRANDADS WAR MEDALS).
Ian.
PATRICA1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:08 am

PATRICA1 wrote:Hello onyirtod,Point taken,but 90% odd of medals will only get you a couple of fish suppers,sad but true you would be best to keep them as oneday your next of kin will thank you,dont forget its their history to (DAD WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO GRANDADS WAR MEDALS).
Ian.

I take Patricia's point entirely. Little more than the price of a bottle of Buckie :cry:

I still have my late Mother's cap badge, stripes, paybook, premissions to access certain restricted areas, benevolent fund contribution records and more. Worthless yet priceless.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PATRICA1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:53 am

Thanks onyir,I have loads of this stuff my wife goes crazy but a canny just throw it oot and naebody wants it so I pack it away as best I can.
help me if you can I posted a letter to DUCK by mistake it was for ROXBURGH but its lost somewhere in cyberspace.
It was all about collecting medals etc and I took the huff a wee bit(ahm an eejit) it is a good hobby and a dont go out fightin or mad boozin with ma dosh.In a perfect world we would all keep things we think we need but dont really.
Ian.
PATRICA1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Roxburgh » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:39 pm

PATRICA1 wrote:Thanks onyir,I have loads of this stuff my wife goes crazy but a canny just throw it oot and naebody wants it so I pack it away as best I can.
help me if you can I posted a letter to DUCK by mistake it was for ROXBURGH but its lost somewhere in cyberspace.
It was all about collecting medals etc and I took the huff a wee bit(ahm an eejit) it is a good hobby and a dont go out fightin or mad boozin with ma dosh.In a perfect world we would all keep things we think we need but dont really.
Ian.

Don't take the huff! I was expressing a point of view that is all. I, myself, have a coin collection. But, for me, medals are much more personal and, Onny's point notwithstanding, I think it important that they stay in the family because they represent a very important part of an ancestor's life. Thanks to having the medals (army number is on the back), I was able to find the medal card on Ancestry so that I know the actual date my grandfather arrived in France, when he was demobilised and what branch of the army he was in.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duck » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:05 pm

Don't worry Ian. There was nothing you said that I would have taken offence at. If anything it should be me apologising to you for not reading your name properly and calling you Patricia!!!
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:20 pm

duck wrote: If anything it should be me apologising to you for not reading your name properly and calling you Patricia!!!

I got that wrong too. Sorry.

Onny
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PATRICA1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:09 pm

Hello all ,Just had a great stirfry and opened a bottle of red(naw it wisnae buckie onny)Just started and already caused a stooshie, Sorry folks,I was at the Carl Jenkins concert last night (brill but very sad we have a lot to be thankful for),
I have a load of memorys of finding stuff in the HLI barracks I stayed across the road shawpark st,we went for chips for the sojers etc,before they shut it ,I was a paper boy and went through to deliver to the tied houses there was always shouting and swearing,Maybe thats what started me off collecting stuff,I/we used to get cap badges from the sojers for swapping (computers who needed them a baw some gingy bottles and we were offski) but I digress,there is loads of memorial stuff out there and it should be saved catalouged etc and we all have a wee part to play.
A wee story ma uncle bobby came back from cratur (you`ll know)my da and the rest of his brothers went for a drink(how unusual) they came home and bobby went for a p**h to the ootside lavvy me and ma cousins threw a thrupenny banger under the door(we thought it was funny anyway)he flew oot with no kilt on and by god if he caught us a widnae be writin this.
Ian.
PATRICA1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects