Hidden Glasgow War Memorials.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:43 pm

I know I'm a couple of days behind but thanks Fos for providing the link to the What's On page.

HH

Thanks for the History Channel link. Looks like something I would consider.

Telling the story of my Great grandfather - Juius C Buchan who died on 28 August 1915.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Hauzen » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:46 pm

Photos on the What's On link are great.

Good stuff.
Hauzen
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby glasgowken » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:36 pm

Alex Glass wrote:I was also informed that the Possil Depot memorial was placed in the community centre near where the old depot was.

Alex, do you know where the community centre is ? I've had a look at the area around Possilpark Depot, on an A-Z but can't see where the centre is.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:45 pm

GK

I understand that it is a new centre. Don't know much about it but I know someone who does. I will get the location and let you know.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:52 pm

Cheers :)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:58 pm

There's a nice one with seats round it and 20-or-so graves in Eastwood Old Cemetery. It's relatively big too considering the amount of graves it's there to recognise. Nice wee out of the way bit of the main yard!

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:46 pm

onyirtodd wrote:There is (or was) one in the newly being refurbished Woodside School in Berkeley Street; soon to become the Glasgow Gaelic School.

It was moved there from Woodlands Rd c 1972. Haven't seen it for many years but I guess it's still there.

I now understand this is incorrect. It was moved but it isn't in the Glasgow Gaelic School any more.

I'm going to try to find out where it is.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

War Memorials

Postby Dugald » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:48 pm

After admiring the many first-class pictures and reading through all of the comments on this memorials thread, I went back to have a second look at the Govan War Memorial (thanks to Modern Fossil). I know this memorial quite well. Seeing it again reminded me, as a boy, asking my father why it was there were no names of the dead on the Govan monument like many of the others around Scotland. He told me there were so many Govan people killed in the Great War that the borough couldn't afford to have them all engraved in stone.

I don't know whether my father's reason is simply a piece of Govan folklore, or whether it is in fact true. I hope the 'folklore' explanation is the true one; however, when one takes a look at the number of Scottish service people who were killed in the Great War, it makes one wonder if the cost of engraving could indeed, have been the real reason... it really is something shocking! According to "The Pity of War" (introductory page), by Naill Ferguson, 557,618 Scottish people served in the forces during the Great War, and more than 26% of them were killed... that's a staggering 147,200 ! (Only Turkey and Serbia sustained, proportionally, more deaths than Scotland !).
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Possil War Memorial

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:52 pm

glasgowken wrote:
Alex Glass wrote:I was also informed that the Possil Depot memorial was placed in the community centre near where the old depot was.

Alex, do you know where the community centre is ? I've had a look at the area around Possilpark Depot, on an A-Z but can't see where the centre is.

Sorry for the delay in posting up this information.

The memorial is in the community hall in Barloch Street, Saracen. It is beleived this may be a masonic lodge.

Hope this is helpful GK.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:03 pm

A few years back I went for a walk in a small park in Dalmuir West and came upon a granite (or was it marble?) slab planted in the gound. There were a number of names on this slab. It was a memorial stone from the Great War which had been recently found among rubble of a site that had been bombed during the Clydeside Blitz. This site had been on property that had belonged to Wm. Beardsmore (?), major armaments manufacturer during the Great War. The stone had been badly damaged, presumably when it was bombed. I don't recall what information was given on the stone.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:09 pm

Hi Dugald

Don't suppose you got a photo of it or know if it is still there?
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:17 pm

Sorry Alex, I don't have a photograph of it. I would be very surprised if it has been moved from the park; when I saw it, the location had the appearance of being permanent. It's a big slab, and as I recall, it had a major crack right through it...wouldn't have been easy to move.
Cheers, Dugald.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:24 pm

Thanks Dugald.

Next time I manage to get over that way I will see if I can get a photo. Unless someone else manages to get there first.

Sounds like it should be one worth getting and maybe Doc will make a comeback and provide some of the details about the names on this stone.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:28 pm

Hi I live near Dalmuir public park, which is quite large . Is this the one you mean ? I will have a look soon as. I do remember there is a a large slab memorial near the Mountblow Road entrance on a sloping embankment.
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:32 pm

elgee wrote:Hi I live near Dalmuir public park, which is quite large . Is this the one you mean ? I will have a look soon as. I do remember there is a a large slab memorial near the Mountblow Road entrance on a sloping embankment.

Thanks elgee. It would be great if you could get a photo and post it up.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects