On The Street Where You Live

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Bex Bissell » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:32 pm

Yikes! Mines. 8O
Persimmon never mentioned that ::):

I'm on Glenmuir Dr and a "new" resident to the area and in fact I only recently heard we have a common aqaintance in my neighbours.

Pgcc93 has a couple of good black n white aerial photos taken of the same spot from way back, prior to the station being built.

The old mines thing may be a good point of source re reading up about the areas past, I know theres a web site dedicated to glasgow mines and owners so I'll look into that.

Sorry to go off topic everyone but Al, whats the significance of the Darnley Tree? our eldest who was 9 at the time said "it's an important tree" pressed upon as to why, she said "I dont know, it a bit like god, you've just got to believe in it" 8O
Not paying attention to the teacher me thinks.
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:40 pm

Just a quicky.

The area where your new house is will be safe. the area was checked before the houses were built. Persimmon did the usual checks with the Mining Companies who still retain responsibility for any old mines.

Don't worry!

Glad to hear that you are one of my constituents. The Pollok Kist meet in the library and they have some local history information. If you want I can provide you with some stuff on the local area.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:44 pm

[quote="Alex Glass"]Just a quicky.

The area where your new house is will be safe. the area was checked before the houses were built. Persimmon did the usual checks with the Mining Companies who still retain responsibility for any old mines.

Don't worry!

Glad to hear that you are one of my constituents. The Pollok Kist meet in the library and they have some local history information. If you want I can provide you with some stuff on the local area.

On the Darnley Tree. It is reputed that Lord Darnley and Mary Queen of Scots sat under this tree. Some estimates carried out in recent times refute that as the tree is not that old. It is retained as an example of the type of tree that they would have sat under when living in the estate of Lord Darnley.

Hope that helps.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:45 pm

The Darnley tree, is it not to do with Mary and Darnley? Was a romantic liason not supposed to have occured there? The conception of James perhaps?
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Schiehallion » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:12 pm

I was born in the room circled in white on London Road, obviously the best part of a century later!!

Before I was born a photographer came to the door and asked my parents if he could use a window to take photos of the last tram procession. They let him in and he took pictures from that room. He left saying he'd send them a photo.

A few weeks after the last tram procession, a brown envelope arrived in the mail with a glossy original photograph of the procession which I still have.

Several years later I discovered the same photo in the Bridgeton chapter of the book Glaswegiana by William W Barr. I've since found another two photos on the net of the procession that were taken that day from the room I'd later be born in.
Last edited by Schiehallion on Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:16 pm

Love that story Schiehallion 8)

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects