On The Street Where You Live

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

On The Street Where You Live

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:06 pm

This is my first topic and I thought I would try something I hope is a little different.

The idea is for as many people as possible to post a view of the street where they live. Not your house just the street. Followed by a blurb about something either in the photo or that may be off interest.

This is my street

just before school comes out the cars gather to collect their children. When the new school is build here there will be an increase in the traffic as this street may be the main entrance to the school. This is not far from the site of the Victoria Mine Disaster of 1851 and just off the main road to East Kilbride and Paisley.

If you don't live in Glasgow you can post a photo of a street you previously lived in or you can adopt a street that you would like to live in.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:12 pm

Picture of the old townshouse of pollokshaws along the road from me. Just in front of the Townshouse and beside the Old Stag Inn put is the reputed spot of the Pollokshaws stone cross - marked in the road with a cross made out of cobbles.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:37 pm

This is all that's left of the street where I grew up, Monymusk Place. Not much to say about it, except it was the most northerly street in Drumchapel (maybe even Glasgow ??).
There was a row of 1950's tenements along the right side, I was a little sad to see it all gone. It was a shithole, but even a shithole can be home :(
The much changed little church on the left was at the mercy of local junior neds, I lost count of the amount of times it was broken into and vandalised.
Living there had it's advantages, the 9 bus terminus was across the road, so I could indulge my hobby :wink: and get a bus away from the place without walking too far, or waiting in the rain.

Now standing on the site of my old close, and viewing the opposite end of the street. A lot of new build at that end. (Although the blue building is a community centre that was built during my time there).

glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:13 pm

Dumbarton Road at Partick Cross - nice and busy, many pubs, and handy for transport into town.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:39 pm

My street, it's a bit quiet and not many cars about which must be quite unique in this day and age!
Sometimes it's just too quiet though. I like a bit of bustle going on. The pubs just over that hill which is handy :)

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:04 pm

Picture taken with a Motorola V3

This is my view looking right along Onslow Road, Drumry from the front door. On the left behind the caravan is the railway line with trains comming from Balloch all the way to Carstairs. Near the top left you can just make out the big blue 'Finniestonesque' crane that is currently under cosmetic surgery to play its part in the Clyde re-development. Living here you're just minutes from Asda, and the Clydebank shopping Centre. You just turn right, right then left to take you out to were Killbowie (the former home of Clydebank FC) used to sit.

Next week my view will be different, as we're moving to Mossgeil Drive. Picture will follow..... :D
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:33 pm

Looks like me and Allydoll are neebours :D
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:17 pm

Thanks to everyone who has posted a photo of their street.

Its ok you wont be identified unless you only have a photo of your house.

This is the house where I was born and lived at the time the photo was take. Demolished in 1967. This is in front of STV studios on Cowcaddens.

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:54 pm

retired tiger wrote:Image

Looks like me and Allydoll are neebours :D

You live in Glamourous Geggies? :wink:
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:39 pm

She's ma auntie :D
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:24 am

Cant find where I grew up but my 1st house/flat over-looked here, it was the top dancer right on the corner and had great views over into the cottage on Millbrae Road and also into the crecent.
It even got a bit of expossure in "Comfort and Joy" as "Dickie Birds" (Bill Patterson) flat was up in Millbrae Court.

The cottage that stands at the foot of Millbrae Road at Tantallon Road belonged to the owner of the one time mill that stood there. Hence "Millbrae"

The mill was extremely big and it was sited on the banks of the Cart many many many moons ago.
The mill stretched from Tantallon Road and followed the banks of the cart down towards Langside where the river begins to bend.

An opticians in Shawlands had a picture of my flat hanging on their wall, taken around 1901 showning a nanny pushing a pram over Millbrae Rd towards Millbrae Crescent, after a bit of patter they kindly let me have it.

This here picture shows where I live now and how it used to look before the developers moved in with their bull dozers.

Nice water tower shot though but I see that some rather large Indian has fired an arrow at it. and missed!

Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby job78989 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:18 am

Is that Priesthill Water Tower?

John
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:42 am

Yep thats the Priesty, the tower is no longer there though.

Dont know too much about Priesthill, however someone told me that there is resticted use of the land or something, and it's to do with the trees in the area or conservation and gos back donkeys years???

Given it's name and elevated position I would imagine that there has been folk living there for yonks.

Al G can you help with any info??

Thanks,
B.
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby job78989 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:32 pm

Priesthill was a Farm in the 19th c, the housing 4 Story Tenements and the Water Tower we built in the late 40's early 50's
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:59 pm

Hi Bex

You lives in Priesthill? When? My wife lived in Elliston Drive for a time. Before that she lived in Glenmure.

The whole area needed a bulldozer. They tried to put slopped roofs on the flat roofs and spent millions on renovating the interiors. Legend has it that the kitchens went in the door and back out the window. All the tenements are gone and houses are being built on Muirshiel Park. The site of the Water tower land has been designated as open space to replace the loss of green space at Muirshiel. It is also part of the Stirling Maxwell Forrest Park.

It is reputed that the entrance to the Victoria Mine was near the site of the Water Tower. There are problems thoughout the area due to the number of mines.

Interestingly the site of your old house was the site of the last houses to be built by Glasgow City Council's Housing Services. If you need any more information i would be happy to help.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects