Tradeston-Broomielaw Bridge.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Tradeston-Broomielaw Bridge.

Postby Targer » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:54 am

As per "The Scotsman" it now appears they are not going to build the current design of the West Street bridge as it was going to come in way over budget. It never appeared to be a good design in that you would have to travel twice as far to get half the distance. It was probably being built for the "tourist" trade anyway , so they could Brag That Glasgow has some 20 plus bridges. It was certainly not for the convenience of the "locals" ...if there are any left. By all means redesign it but make it simple and long lasting.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AMcD » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:23 am

AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:17 am

I'm no expert, but how can even a simpler footbridge come in at 30 million?? Is it to be diamond encrusted??

I take it this was the one that was crescent-shaped? I'm glad that idea was dropped, would have been quite frustrating that it was unnecessarily long!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Tradeston-Broomielaw Bridge.

Postby red_kola » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:07 pm

Great News. Perhaps they can come up with something original this time...
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:13 pm

Maybe now the Council will put back the grass that was removed on the Broomielaw side :D
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:31 pm

gap74 wrote:I take it this was the one that was crescent-shaped? I'm glad that idea was dropped, would have been quite frustrating that it was unnecessarily long!

Good riddance to bad rubbish ::):

I'm sure it would have been popular talking point for its novelty for a year or two, then been a popular talking point forever after when folk realised they were stuck with the curvy detour. Lost opportunity though, somebody coould have set up a wee ferry to beat it :wink:
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toaster » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:29 pm

Aye, the moment I first saw the design I thought '2nd-rate Tyne copy'. The Clyde already has one too many pointless pedestrian bridges - why was the stupid wee thing down at the Science Centre ever built?

I was down Clydeside on Sunday taking pics - a simple pedestrian bridge built directly underneath the Kingston would be fun, and connect the cinema and eateries more logically with the city business area. But that won't happen since it would obviously be a terrorist risk or some such nonsense. Besides, the Kingston probably doesn't have many years left so building right under it isn't too sensible.
Toaster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:40 pm

Toaster wrote:I was down Clydeside on Sunday taking pics - a simple pedestrian bridge built directly underneath the Kingston would be fun.

Interesting idea, but i think you would need to give the pedestrians safety helmets. Have you ever noticed the amount of debris that lies under that bridge. Bits of tyres, straps from lorries tarpaulins, bits of grit etc.

Not as bad as it was ten years ago though, before they fixed it, when wee bits of concrete used to fall off it.

Still don't walk under it and i always drive a wee bit faster going under it.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ClydeBuilt » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:36 pm

Funny that Glasgow City Council are not giving any news about the demise of this project on the "Feeshel" website.

http://www.glasgowbridge.com

I work for one of the companies who are tendering for the project so I'll see what I can find out tomorrow and report back.
ClydeBuilt
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby viceroy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:08 pm

Socceroo wrote:
Interesting idea, but i think you would need to give the pedestrians safety helmets. Have you ever noticed the amount of debris that lies under that bridge. Bits of tyres, straps from lorries tarpaulins, bits of grit etc.

Not as bad as it was ten years ago though, before they fixed it, when wee bits of concrete used to fall off it.

Still don't walk under it and i always drive a wee bit faster going under it.

Thanks for the tip Socceroo. I've walked under the Kingston Bridge hundreds of times and never given it a second thought. Suppose I'd better keep looking up in future!
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Sun May 27, 2012 6:00 pm

(Least inappropriate thread I could find.....)

Broomielaw at Friday lunchtime...
Image[/url]
...Obviously what this area needs most is to be filled with junk food sheds....
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun May 27, 2012 7:35 pm

It looks as if any of that area which survives the leisure complexes being planned for the area will be lost to the Fastlink route.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sun May 27, 2012 9:43 pm

The Egg Man wrote:It looks as if any of that area which survives the leisure complexes being planned for the area will be lost to the Fastlink route.

The new "unused" road which runs parallel to (and between the river and the Broomielaw) was provided for the Fastlink project
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun May 27, 2012 9:54 pm

yoker brian wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:It looks as if any of that area which survives the leisure complexes being planned for the area will be lost to the Fastlink route.

The new "unused" road which runs parallel to (and between the river and the Broomielaw) was provided for the Fastlink project

I believe the plans for the Broomielaw Quay development have overtaken that original plan (at considerable aditional expense).

http://www.clydewaterfront.com/news/lat ... r-approval
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Sun May 27, 2012 10:47 pm

'restaurant quarter' my arse.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next