Pollok, Househill and Hurlet

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glenlora Drive

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:10 pm

apaterson wrote:The priests' house was beside another private residence of about the same date which backed on to the then coal-fired power house that provided Craigbank's hot water. Our house in Glentyan gave us a view into the garden of this villa and we watched bemused for a while as the owner built a sizeable boat (maybe 35 feet) in his grounds. Memory may be imperfect but I think he got it to water via the aforementioned power station.
I'm surprised that McQuatter's Lane doesn't seem to have had a mention so far. It was a regular haunt for bird nesting and generally getting up to no good.

Welcome to Hidden Glasgow apaterson.

Nice to hear from someone with local memories. I am not a long time resident of the area but would be interested to hear more about McQuatter's Lane!

Do you have any old photos of the area?
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

McQuatters's Lane

Postby apaterson » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:46 am

I had hoped that someone with a better memory than me would have replied concerning McQuatter's, however, until someone else does, the lane ran alongside the railway line: Nitshill station to Barrhead. Not all the way but I can't really remember where it terminated. It did not cross Barrhead Road but may have connected with Salterland Road. My apologies for imperfect memory. No apologies for attempting to stir up futher correspondence: what about The Craigie, Jean Gebbie's, the Househill Tavern. Volunteer Arms and the Railway Inn. How the 49 bus had to do a figure of eight to turn from Barrhead Road into Nitshill Road at the Hurlet, (where there definitely was a smiddy).
apaterson
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:07 pm

Jean Gebbie's is now the Waterside Inn, Househill Tavern and Railway Inn are both long gone. Don't know about the Craigie.

Did McQuatter's Road go through South Nitshill along the railway line. There is a path that goes from South Nitshill to Salterland Road about half way there is a tunnel under the railway that leads across some fields to Nitshill. I will try and post some photos of the area to see if it jogs your memory.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

McQuatters's Lane et al

Postby apaterson » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:06 pm

Yes the path would have skirted South Nitshill. The Craigie was the name by which we knew the hill at Glanderston Dam. This was an occasional destination for day trips on foot or by cycle for me and my cronies from Craigbank around 1958-1962. I found a link

http://www.barrhead-scotland.com/Cultur ... meline.asp

which mentions another local disaster. Apparently the Glanderston Dam burst in 1842 drowning 7 people. Isn't it surprising where McQuatter's Lane is leading me these days!

Alex
apaterson
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby kiwi2 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:50 pm

Did'nt Mc Quatters lane run from Nitshill rd adjacent to the Railway Inn and went in the direction of Barrhead.

Who remembers the cafe at the corner of Nitshill rd and Cleeves rd which was run by an Italian family of brothers and a sister then located to the present Nitshill shops across from where the Royal Oak is.

Also who had their haircut from Donnie and his hair clippers.
kiwi2
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Glanderston Dam and The ‘Craigie’

Postby apaterson » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:16 am

Link to picture of the ‘Craigie’ which appears to be called Craig Carnock.
apaterson
Just settling in
Just settling in

The Craigie and Glanderston Dam

Postby apaterson » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:18 am

Link to picture of the ‘Craigie’
apaterson
Just settling in
Just settling in

Dams to Darnley Country Park

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:31 pm

I take it you are refering to the Dams up the back of South Park Village.

We are turning this into a Country Park called Dams to darnley Country Park. A joint committee has been set up between Glasgow and East Renfrewshire Council.

I am a member of the committee so if you want any information PM me and I will arrange to have it sent to you.

There is still an Italian family run Chip Shop in Nitshill. Don't know if it is the same family but they appear to have been in the area for a few years.

There was a story in the Evening Times last week about a new proposal to create a Retail Business Park on Darnley Mains, where the B&Q is located. The whole area has changed.

Nitshill Shops.

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: McQuatters's Lane et al

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:44 pm

apaterson wrote:Yes the path would have skirted South Nitshill. The Craigie was the name by which we knew the hill at Glanderston Dam. This was an occasional destination for day trips on foot or by cycle for me and my cronies from Craigbank around 1958-1962. I found a link

http://www.barrhead-scotland.com/Cultur ... meline.asp

which mentions another local disaster. Apparently the Glanderston Dam burst in 1842 drowning 7 people. Isn't it surprising where McQuatter's Lane is leading me these days!

Alex

A couple of things that I hope are helpful in identifying McQuatters Lane.

This is the underpass that links the back of Nitshill to South Nitshill
and the lane that leads to Salterland Road on the way to Barrhead.

This land leads to the underpass.

The land at the top of the picture is where the picture above this one is take from ground level.

View of Nitshill Industrial Estate with the railway line running through the middle.

Hope this is the location you have been asking about.
The aerial shopts are a bit out of date now with major changes
to the industrial estate.

If you look closely and match up the aerial pictures you
can see the railway line continue beyond the industrial estate
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Smartalex » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:05 pm

Here is a photograph which was taken for a newspaper item around the late 70's of the yearly gala/fete which took place in the grounds of Darnley Hospital.
Copyright. Ronald M Cowan. (printed on reverse)

I always loved the hospital fete days as it always brought in loads of kids from Darnley, Nitshill, Priesthill, Arden and Pollok because there where no houses near the hospital grounds (where I grew up) other kids were a novelty.
The hospital closed in the 1990 and was demolished soon after, I can't remember what paper it was in or the artricle and neither can my mum (who is in the photograph).
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:58 pm

Hi Alex

Great photo. Do you have any more? The Pollok Kist would be interested as they are trying to collect images of Pollok. There was a book of photos which I launched a couple of years back with lots of photos from the 70's of Priesthill.

I will scan the front cover and post it up soon.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Smartalex » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:12 pm

Sorry Alex, that photo is the only one in my family album my mum asked the photographer if she could buy a copy because she as I said is the woman in the middle with my cousin I wish i could find the article from the paper because no-one in my family remembers.

P.s There is an address on the back of the photo If thats any help for the photo hunt.
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:39 pm

Sounds like a bit of a challenge Alex. Maybe if you post up the details on the back of the photo someone on here may have some suggestions to solve this puzzle.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Smartalex » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:15 pm

I have just googled Mr Ronald M Cowan and found that he is still in business as a photographer the address on the back was a Clarkston address but he has since moved to a different premises.

I have e-mailed him a copy of the photo and the info I have to see if it brings back any memories of what it was taken for hopefully I get a result worth posting.
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Rosehill Housing Co-op

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:16 pm

New houses for Craigbank provided by Rosehill Housing Co-op

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects