Pollok, Househill and Hurlet

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat May 19, 2007 10:29 am

I can not complain about John McKenzie being in charge of the board.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat May 19, 2007 1:32 pm

A fan then Dex?
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Sat May 19, 2007 2:20 pm

Alex Glass wrote: I remain as a Deputy but now under the Business Manager.

Well, that's one way to get promoted I s'pose! :wink: :D

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue May 22, 2007 1:15 pm

neilmc wrote:Perfect Day; Peat Road near Priesthill Road, 1971

Finally - Peat Road near Priesthill Road 1971

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:45 am

neilmc wrote:Househillmuir Place, mid 'fifties. The Co-op mobile bakery van (Austin K8, I think) is on Househillmuir Road, with Househillmuir Lane in the background leading up to Peat Road, just across from where the library was to be built some 12-15 years later (now gone).
Check out the pure gemmy trike, and the dog (or cat?) in the shade under the van.
Thanks to Christine from my work for bringing in the photo (that's her big brother with the hobby-horse), and to my other colleague John for his digital work on what was a tiny photo.

Househillmuir Place 2007

Notice the same fence still in place.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:02 pm

Peat Road in the snow, winter of 1978/79
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby joe » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:28 pm

I wonder if anybody could tell me if 'The Wids' just down from levern primary school and before the hurlet had/have (are they still there?) a specific name?

Also, what was the purpose of the 'Irony'? (eg the Iron Bridge, which crossed from the fields just down from Glenora drive across to Barrhead road, not a bridge as such but support for pipes). Can anybody tell me what these pipes transported?

All the photos are magic, great stuff.

Joe
joe
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:45 pm

Hi Joe

Welcome t Hidden Glasgow.

Are the woods you are asking about part of Househillwood Park?

Are the pipes part of either the water or sewage system?

Do you live locally? Can you get photos or do you want me to try and get some the next time I an in the park?
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:10 am

joe wrote:I wonder if anybody could tell me if 'The Wids' just down from levern primary school and before the hurlet had/have (are they still there?) a specific name?
Also, what was the purpose of the 'Irony'? (eg the Iron Bridge, which crossed from the fields just down from Glenora drive across to Barrhead road, not a bridge as such but support for pipes). Can anybody tell me what these pipes transported?
All the photos are magic, great stuff. Joe

The "wids" you refer to Joe, are still there; they are much smaller now than they once were, and are now a recreation park with a footbridge which provides easy access to the Barrhead Road. I don't know of any specific name other than the "wids" you mention.

I recall the "irony" you mention, but can't say if it was/is part of the water or sewage system, but I'd guess that it is/was. I used this pipe many times to get to and from Nitshill. The pipe is located beside some land which slopes down to the river from the Barrhead Rd. near the intersection with the Crookston Rd. We called this sloping land beside the pipe the "rid hills". There was a path from the pipe through the "wids" that came out near the brick works on Peat Rd... close to the # 23 Govan bus terminal. The pipe shortened the walk to and from Nitshill by quite a lot, but I suppose the footbridge through the "wids" eliminated the need to use of the 'Irony'
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Hoey St » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:26 pm

If its the "wids" on the left hand side of Nitshill road heading towards the hurlet I can remember in the early sixties a couple of stone cottages about a hundred metres from Nitshill road which were then occupied. Can recall seeing washing drying. Behind them was a large House used as some kind of Old age home. You gained entry to it from the Glasgow road in barrhead near Jean Gebbies. There was a derelict modern home at the entrance which was heavily vandalised.

Behind the large old folks home was a walled garden which was still intact during the sixties. Plum and apple trees abounded.
Hoey St
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:31 pm

I think you are at the wrong side of the road.

Manor Park Nursing Home is where you describe Hoey. The house that was derelict at the road entrance has now been renovated and has been occupied for a number of years.

The area that Joe is talking about is Househill Park which runs from the South of Nitshill Road along Barrhead Road down to Haughburn Road near the Pollok roundabout. JOB posted some photos of fossilised tree stumps earlier in this thread which are in Househill Park and this is where some of the trees have chains which are reputed to have been used to string up witches.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:42 am

I was looking at some Ordnance Survey maps from the late 1960s/early '70s in my office (sorry, couldn't get permission to reproduce them here; need my job!) re: Joe's query about the 'wids', and was amazed to see a tunnel shown as running under Nitshill Road, just 50 yards or so past the Levern Bridge heading for the Hurlet. This was a staggerer for me; how come I had never heard of it? Does anyone know anything about it? It seemed to link the 'wids' Joe was talking about with those mentioned by Hoey St.

I bet it turns out I'm the only person who didn't know of this!
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Hoey St » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:20 pm

When I lived in the area that land was more open and not forested. The only trees were along the course of the Levern past the Irony bridge and only became a "wid " down at Houseillmuir end where the stone trees were. The hurlet area was known to my mother and father as the red hills. As kids they would travel from Govan to play there. They were probably bings from the mines and consisted of red shale. The stuff the fitba parks used to be filled with.

As for the tunnel maybe that was just a walk through tunnel built with a footpath. Usually formed with corrugated Iron sheeting.
Hoey St
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby BTJustice » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:14 pm

I dont know if its been posted before but I drove past the toll house on Barrhead road on Thursday and one of the windows is open.

Might be a chance to look inside if thats what floats your boat.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:21 am

neilmc wrote:I was looking at some Ordnance Survey maps from the late 1960s/early '70s in my office ... and was amazed to see a tunnel shown as running under Nitshill Road, just 50 yards or so past the Levern Bridge heading for the Hurlet. This was a staggerer for me; how come I had never heard of it? Does anyone know anything about it? It seemed to link the 'wids' Joe was talking about with those mentioned by Hoey St.

I bet it turns out I'm the only person who didn't know of this!

When people discovered the Bothwell Street tunnel the city fathers had it moved to a place of safety where it has remained in peace till you discovered it. An asset is already on his way to your door. Goodbye.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects