Pollok, Househill and Hurlet

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:16 pm

Peat Road at Priesthill Road. You can see the gable end of the shops on Househillwood Road.

I will get a present photo and post it in Past Present.

Thanks Neil it is a good photo
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:24 pm

Cheers Alex, you're welcome to use it. For exact location, the photo was taken from upstairs front bedroom - I don't want to quote postal address on the web, but I can tell you that I used to live next door to your fellow councillor (he and his family were great neighbours), although he didn't move in until about five years after this photo was taken. Good luck!
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:42 pm

Don't think I will make it into the front room but will get it as close as possible.

The houses were modernised in the late 80's when they were taken over by Rosehill Co-op. They still look good almost 20 years later.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:41 pm

Alex Glass wrote:Peat Road at Priesthill Road. You can see the gable end of the shops on Househillwood Road.

I will get a present photo and post it in Past Present.

Thanks Neil it is a good photo

Re: the shops on Househillwood Road; during the period in question they consisted of (starting from the north or leftmost):-

1) Martin's, the 'Fruit Shop' - great sweetie counter, and not a 'penny tray' in sight!
2) the 'Wee Dairy' - the local cops used to pop into the back shop for a cup of tea
3) The ubiquitous Co-op
Then there was the gated close entrance to the flats above (now gone), followed by
4) The equally ubiquitous Galbraiths Stores
5) The butchers, with the whole cow carcasses hanging to mature on the public side of the counter!
6) the Paper Shop; used to hang around outside on Saturday tea-time waiting for the Pink Times and Green Citizen delivery so my maw could check the scores for her Littlewoods coupon.

With shops like those who needs Silverburn?
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

GALSTON STREET IN NITSHILL SUMMER 80S

Postby pollokboy » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:54 pm

Heres galston street in nitshill were i lived it got demolished in the late 90s
pollokboy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: GALSTON STREET IN NITSHILL SUMMER 80S

Postby Graham » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:46 pm

pollokboy wrote:Heres galston street in nitshill were i lived it got demolished in the late 90s

Couldn't see your pic...so here it is, even gave it a wee clean up for you :wink:

I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

cheers fur fixing that m8

Postby pollokboy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:20 pm

:D
pollokboy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby neilmc » Thu May 10, 2007 12:42 pm

Househillmuir Place, mid 'fifties. The Co-op mobile bakery van (Austin K8, I think) is on Househillmuir Road, with Househillmuir Lane in the background leading up to Peat Road, just across from where the library was to be built some 12-15 years later (now gone).
Check out the pure gemmy trike, and the dog (or cat?) in the shade under the van.
Thanks to Christine from my work for bringing in the photo (that's her big brother with the hobby-horse), and to my other colleague John for his digital work on what was a tiny photo.
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu May 10, 2007 9:37 pm

Yikes! I had one of those horses, me & the wee fella would be around the same age.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Fri May 11, 2007 5:10 pm

A Rolf Harris moment there HH

Two little boys ::):
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri May 11, 2007 10:43 pm

neilmc wrote:Househillmuir Place, mid 'fifties. The Co-op mobile bakery van (Austin K8, I think) is on Househillmuir Road, with Househillmuir Lane in the background leading up to Peat Road, just across from where the library was to be built some 12-15 years later (now gone).
Check out the pure gemmy trike, and the dog (or cat?) in the shade under the van.
Thanks to Christine from my work for bringing in the photo (that's her big brother with the hobby-horse), and to my other colleague John for his digital work on what was a tiny photo.

Fantastic photo Neil :) :)

Would have been a good one to include in the book with a collection of photos of old Pollok.

Does your friend have any more? Would love to see them! I will try and take a photo and post it up later. I have a few I need to sort through. I have a photo of Peat Road at Priesthill Road to post up.

By the way HH bet you even had curly hair at that age.;)
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat May 12, 2007 8:34 am

And what happened to your afro Alex, did you stop eating the crusts on your Bilsland bread?

BTW congrats on your return to the Chambers. Promotion must be in order. How about a sensible approach to the licensing board.

I take it public announcements will be made on Thursday but will be decided in the Steps beforehand?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby brickwall » Sat May 12, 2007 8:59 am

I do believe councilor Glass is challenged in the follicles deptartment at the mo.

I'll be catching up on him soon.
eh?
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby neilmc » Tue May 15, 2007 11:22 am

Alex Glass wrote:Fantastic photo Neil :) :)

Would have been a good one to include in the book with a collection of photos of old Pollok.

Does your friend have any more? Would love to see them! I will try and take a photo and post it up later. I have a few I need to sort through. I have a photo of Peat Road at Priesthill Road to post up.

Alex, I've asked Christine to look out any other photos in a similar vein.
It was actually her grandparents who lived in Househillmuir Place, so a visit to Househill (from Tradeston) was regarded as a trip to the country!
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri May 18, 2007 11:23 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:And what happened to your afro Alex, did you stop eating the crusts on your Bilsland bread?

BTW congrats on your return to the Chambers. Promotion must be in order. How about a sensible approach to the licensing board.

I take it public announcements will be made on Thursday but will be decided in the Steps beforehand?

Thanks for you kind remarks Dex. The hair was natural curls. Sadly long gone. As for the promotion. I remain as a Deputy but now under the Business Manager. I also will be in charge of the new Surplus Land and Property.

I would have loved the challenge of taking charge of the cities License Trade. However this is not to be.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects