When its gone its gone Archive

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:59 pm

duncan wrote:
rosco wrote:Image

anyone actually walked along the bridge to nowhere? put this down on my list of '100 things to do in Glasgow'

Yes mate. Walked it, swang from it, dogged school on it, winched on it, drank on it. When the big jaggy fence went up mid 90's it was the end of an era, as every summer all us Anderston locals from the age of 5-18 would build a swing from the metal rods that stick out.
If no body's perfect, why practise?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:19 pm

Gone. Building at the Barras/Mechant City

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby duncan » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:15 pm

in a park near the Botanics in Edinburgh:
"Through life he sought the happy child"

one of two drinking fountains on the same thing as the plaque above
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sylvia » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:37 pm

This thread is fantastic........I loved seeing these images. :)
Time waits for nobody.
Sylvia
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Fossil » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:45 am

Sylvia wrote:This thread is fantastic........I loved seeing these images. :)

nice shoes :P

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby Apollo » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:31 pm

Looks like another one heading for the bin:

Royal Bank of Scotland Gallowgate has a submission for demolition of a listed building attached to the bus lane signpost at the door, submitted by the housing association responsible for the new flats already built behind it. Shop to right is derelict, but next is the large ironmonger type shop that supplied the kit for the abbatoir and meat market, and it is still in business between the bank building and the flats.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:34 am

Hard to believe this tenement and its shops were once a hive of activity when the abattoir, meat market and car market were in full swing in the Gallowgate, and not too many years ago.

Unlikely to be occupied again, no doubt will be flattened soon, like the rest of its surroundings. Looks more like an outside-in greenhouse now with all the trees growing out of it:

Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:32 am

Apollo I know what you mean about once being a hive of activity. I've been helping an expat in Hong Kong try to rediscover his roots and upbringing in a Gallowgate tenement near the location you pictured. Its amazing to look at photographs right up to the late 60s and see what a densely populated and busy area the Gallowgate at this part once was... shops, banks, pubs even factories. All a all very under-recorded life because of course it was 'only poor working class' area.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:17 am

Yes, the 'City Fathers' policy of clearing out the population back then has a lot to answer for.

My grandparents lived in the London Road. Their tenement was where the London Road police station now stands, and I always feel a certain irritation that I can't really visit the location. Same goes for my grandfathers newsagents and tobacconists shop that was just round the corner in Fielden Street. I don't know what it looked like, and there are only a couple of shots existing of the interior.

Echoes you thoughts, in their day, London Road to Bridgeton would have been mobbed daily and a major thoroughfare. Now just another desert like Gallowgate.
Last edited by Apollo on Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ant » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:07 pm

With-out exception all the main thoughfares in the east end of Glasgow seem to have suffered from wholesale demolition in the last 30 years. That in itself was a crime: What's worse is the council's continued neglect and abandonment of some of the most important and historic areas of this city. You would have thought that main approach roads and important "gateways" to and from the city centre would have been treated with some respect unfortunately a walk/drive along Gallowgate, London Rd Duke Street etc....will shatter this myth.
ant
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Apollo » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:42 pm

Well, I made the 'mistake' of taking a walk along from The Forge to the The Barras, and the only word that came to mind was 'depressing'. It's like walking through no-man's land. Deserted spaces, abandoned buildings and shops, and no people.

I can't remember the source of the original quote, but it was Glasgow's declared policy all those years ago to clear the population from the the city centre and its immediate surroundings, and concentrate business in the resulting space. Well, they got the space bit right :(

Of course, they forgot that by driving all the people out, there would be no-one left to develop and grow any resultant businesses, and no people means more crime etc. etc. Having realised their mistake, they have stabbed some housing back into the wasteland, but it's all too little and too late. Time, as they say, has moved on, and a different solution is required now.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:51 pm

Another demolition mysteriously gets rushed through between Xmas and New Year, these tenements have been reduced to rubble over the last two or three days. Pic by Apollo from earlier on in thread.

Tried to get some of the demoliton, but it was always dark when I drove by.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:13 pm

Oh well, good job I stuffed the camera in my pocket that day.

No great surprise as all the ground to the rear was cleared ages ago, and they were ruined by neglect and vegetation.

Did you notice if the demolition included the white painted bank building to the right, as that's the where the notice of demolition of a listed building was posted?
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:33 pm

Work started on Christmas eve,
The bank building Apollo is still in tacked TF

Crusty's got more info on this building and the new development.

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby DMcNay » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:13 pm

Is the bank building staying?

Nice building, should be redeveloped in my opinion.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects