Shop Fronts

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Shop Fronts

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:40 am

Amazing where you can go on a First Bus All Day Ticket, eh?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:17 pm

Crow Rd:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:15 am

May also a photo for Reflections :?:
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:34 pm

Pistons & Components
Doesn't look like this one will be around for much longer. It must be one of the oldest shop fronts on GWR. Am I right in thinking they used have two shops on GWR? I remember thinking it was a cool shop when I was a kid, gone are the days when your old man would grind valves and change big ends on the famly hillman imp!
Cheers
Cell!
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:18 pm

I'm sure there used to be a branch od Pistons and Components around Alison street on the southside somewhere.

I remember my dad putting an old Nissan 260c for repairs there... mid 70s i think.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:41 pm

Sunflower wrote:The workmen's instructions were to smash it all out.... but they were rather sad about it. Neighbours leapt into action, got on to the conservation and planning people, net result, agreement by the people having the work done to leave it all place, boarded in again on both sides. So their new window openings end up smaller than originally intended. Apparently they weren't thrilled.

A reasonable result, I suppose (not least because I have to wonder how long lovely stained glasswork would last), but it's a long way from traditional shop fronts. I won't be patronising the shop.

Are you sure, Sunflower? I'm fairly positive I saw glass and leading in the bin outside.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:35 pm

Oh Rats. And other curses.

How much was there?

I'm reasonably sure about the bit on the end (below the TOBACCONIST panel). And they've been going to an awful lot of trouble to pretend they were boxing the glass in if they really weren't. The relevant person at the council told us the planning permission was with the condition that the old shop front parts were preserved, but that's not a lot of good since no-one stands there and makes sure it's done, and no-one will know if the old stuff is still there or not till the next person does a refit.

I was already depressed by the Go Ape thing..... :cry:
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sds » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:20 pm

Sunflower wrote:The workmen's instructions were to smash it all out.... but they were rather sad about it. Neighbours leapt into action, got on to the conservation and planning people, net result, agreement by the people having the work done to leave it all place, boarded in again on both sides. So their new window openings end up smaller than originally intended. Apparently they weren't thrilled.

A reasonable result, I suppose (not least because I have to wonder how long lovely stained glasswork would last), but it's a long way from traditional shop fronts. I won't be patronising the shop.

Interesting stuff! I've been wondering what was going in there after that wee indian restaurant shut...

Sunflower wrote:I'm reasonably sure about the bit on the end (below the TOBACCONIST panel). And they've been going to an awful lot of trouble to pretend they were boxing the glass in if they really weren't. The relevant person at the council told us the planning permission was with the condition that the old shop front parts were preserved, but that's not a lot of good since no-one stands there and makes sure it's done, and no-one will know if the old stuff is still there or not till the next person does a refit.

It looked to me like the glass was boarded back up. Granted, I don't always pay too much attention, but I do walk past it nearly every day, and I got the same impression that the old shop front & windows is still under there...
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby allyharp » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:08 am

cell wrote:Pistons & Components
Doesn't look like this one will be around for much longer. It must be one of the oldest shop fronts on GWR. Am I right in thinking they used have two shops on GWR? I remember thinking it was a cool shop when I was a kid, gone are the days when your old man would grind valves and change big ends on the famly hillman imp!
Cheers
Cell!

When did that close? I could swear I walked past and looked in the window last week!
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:37 pm

Its been closed for a couple of years now
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:56 pm

AlanM wrote:Its been closed for a couple of years now

8O Jaysus was I sleepwalking?!?

Actually no, now I think I must be mistaking it for Bike Sorce! :oops:
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sds » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:48 pm

sds wrote:
Sunflower wrote:I'm reasonably sure about the bit on the end (below the TOBACCONIST panel). And they've been going to an awful lot of trouble to pretend they were boxing the glass in if they really weren't. The relevant person at the council told us the planning permission was with the condition that the old shop front parts were preserved, but that's not a lot of good since no-one stands there and makes sure it's done, and no-one will know if the old stuff is still there or not till the next person does a refit.

It looked to me like the glass was boarded back up. Granted, I don't always pay too much attention, but I do walk past it nearly every day, and I got the same impression that the old shop front & windows is still under there...

It looks like I was wrong -- there's one large glass window where at least one of the the stained glass panels used to be :(

Presumably the old shop fronts (i.e., the signs, and the roller canopy) are still hidden away though...
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:26 pm

Aaargh! I'm away from home and can't go and look - does the plate glass in the angled window go up higher than the plate glass in the one that looks west along PRdW?

The council guy told us that the conditions attached to the planning permission were that the signs and stained glass had to be kept, even if boarded up, and he said (I thought) that the decision would be available to see online. I tried to find the relevant committee minutes, but the GCC website manages to freeze my Firefox whenever I look at a pdf file, so after some major head-banging I gave up. Point being that if the glass has gone and if the conditions are as I understood them to be someone needs to be - um - held to account.

I think I'm turning into a 'professional objector' a la Go Ape. It's a rotten job, but someone has to do it......
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:35 pm

you might need the adobe add-on for your firefox, sunflower
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:55 pm

J & G Mossman, High Street