Shop Fronts

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: time warp

Postby germistonguy » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:05 am

The Modern Fossil wrote:You must go to this shop. The wallpaper must be the original the light fittings the same. Its just a step back in time (excuse the pun). Its old old old 8)

Very reasonable for fixing yer time piece by the way

I think ALL watch makers up and down the country are little museums in their own right, with an ancient guy in there. They never seem to be open though. Glasgow being as large as it is there must be a fair few scattered over the place, maybe an idea for a project.

Me and a pal were discussing them a few years back over a guiness and came to the tongue-in-cheek conclusion they are a front for some more 'hidden' establishment. You would go in and give the old guy a 'particular' watch to repair, which he would 'recognise'. He would then get up from his desk, lock the front door, then take you through to the back of the shop, rip off his 'old man' disguise, then take you down to a secret lift. This would take you many floors down below the surface to a secret underground establishment. A bit of a sinister Mr Benn scenario....

Anyway its late. I'll get me coat...
germistonguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: time warp

Postby Fossil » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:31 pm

germistonguy wrote:
The Modern Fossil wrote:You must go to this shop. The wallpaper must be the original the light fittings the same. Its just a step back in time (excuse the pun). Its old old old 8)

Very reasonable for fixing yer time piece by the way

I think ALL watch makers up and down the country are little museums in their own right, with an ancient guy in there...................
Me and a pal were discussing them a few years back over a guiness and came to the tongue-in-cheek conclusion they are a front for some more 'hidden' establishment. You would go in and give the old guy a 'particular' watch to repair, which he would 'recognise'. He would then get up from his desk, lock the front door, then take you through to the back of the shop, rip off his 'old man' disguise, then take you down to a secret lift. This would take you many floors down below the surface to a secret underground establishment....
Anyway its late. I'll get me coat...

Ah yes like in The Man From U.NC.L.E
dont laugh it could happen

fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby germistonguy » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:20 pm

While we are on the theme of shopfronts, I forgot that I have this amongst my stock. I have decided not to sell it now, but if you can get a copy you must

A Nation of Shopkeepers by Bill Evans and Andrew Lawson ISBN = 0859651657. The book focuses on images of the shopfront, most are excellent examples of the old fashioned shopfront, with supporting text.

and for a little light humour it includes this::

::):
germistonguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:17 pm

My favourite shop name was the Chinese restaurant on Govan Road called the "Hoi Sun", obviously taken from a favourite Govan street cry.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jim » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:35 am

Noticed 'Gordons Cafe' while whizzing past on the bus. Corner of Calder St and Pollokshaws Rd.
Could someone in the area get a photo?
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:02 pm

Behind Bath street

Last edited by Fossil on Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fossil
-
-

Postby GoRdY_b » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:58 pm

"On the subject of Chinese names there used to be one in Halfway called The Ming Inn also Cambuslang had
The Man Kee."

Aye class Fossil!

I'm sure there's one in Shawlands called the "Wong Way" . Kind of ironic because I noticed it whilst on a driving test! Funnily enough I passed!

What about the one in Hope Street (I think) called the "Peking Inn". Maybe it's only funny when you're drunk but if you eat there you obviously don't value privacy.
Hope is an indulgence for which I have little time.
GoRdY_b
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby DVF » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:11 pm

I know this should be shop fronts but we've started on the old painted ads too so I may as well continue.

On Argyle Street, looking east from about Union or Buckie St, up on a building on the left hand side is an old painted ad for I think, erm, no, I won't say. It took me a while to decipher it. I'll get a pic first, let folks have a look for themselves etc. etc. :twisted:
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DVF » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:18 pm

On the subject of great Takeaway names, theres the Wok Inn somewhere, and NG's Dynasty (spot the funny bit in that!) on Temple Road.

I had more but they're gone now.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby duncan » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:04 pm

a few of my favourites:

Chinese take-away in the gorbals that's since had a makeover:

Near Glasgow Green:

And my personal favourite, at Partick Cross:

This is up near Scotstoun I think:
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:18 pm

The dental shop at Partick Cross - which looks like it's offering "Glamourous Geggies" (another great name for a band) - is where the good vampires of Glasgow go for their fangs.

Talking of creatures of the night, did you know that Bite Me, the world's best vampire magazine, is published right here in St Mungo's fair city? Check out the website (and forums) at

http://www.bitememagazine.co.uk
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:33 am

Thats because you did not ask what strength bomb you wanted!!
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:43 am

GoRdY_b wrote:"On the subject of Chinese names there used to be one in Halfway called The Ming Inn also Cambuslang had
The Man Kee."

Aye class Fossil!....................

GoRdY_b I cannot confirm this unfortuatlly but if anyone who has lived in this area late 70s 80s can back me up I can once agin hold my head up high..
:)
fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby kn0wledge » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:44 pm

This is the original shop of the now infamous John Barr the butcher.

http://www.colinryan.net/out&about/dailypics/barr.jpg

He later moved to a shop across the road (I was standing outside it to take this photo) but now that's been sold off too.

About the oldest sign I've seen is one above a shop in Motherwell that says "Sunbeam Bicycles" or something, it's been there for decades.

K

PS, for some reason it wouldn't show the photo as an inline image. The URL is correct. Any ideas what went wrong?
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:35 pm

kn0wledge wrote:This is the original shop of the now infamous John Barr the butcher.

http://www.colinryan.net/out&about/dailypics/barr.jpg

He later moved to a shop across the road (I was standing outside it to take this photo) but now that's been sold off too.

Not quite true. Barr's son now has part of the new shop as a bakers, and the other part is run by a buitcher that was based round the corner on Wishaw Main Street.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects