Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:10 pm

hehehe :wink:
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:12 pm

My Kitten wrote:
crusty_bint wrote:Aha! Pollokshaws East doesn't have superior tenements surrounding it... they're mainly average in the immediate vicinity :wink:

Aye mibbe, but my view is much more superior out my window ;)

Can you see into Newlandsfield kitten??
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:52 pm

Schiehallion wrote:
My Kitten wrote:
crusty_bint wrote:Aha! Pollokshaws East doesn't have superior tenements surrounding it... they're mainly average in the immediate vicinity :wink:

Where's that? Something to do with Pollok FC?
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:14 pm

My Kitten wrote:
Schiehallion wrote:
My Kitten wrote:

Where's that? Something to do with Pollok FC?

Aye, their ground.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:53 pm

Unfortunately no, but I can hear a commentary :)
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:07 am

Simba wrote:Maxwell Park almost looks as if it could be a wee station in the country. :) Nice pics.

Yeah I like it. Reminds me of Thomas the Tank Engine! ::):
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toaster » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:51 pm

The article in G41 is about Pollokshields Heritage investigating possible uses. They're going to get a Condition Survey done to find out how much putting in services (water, sewerage - the building is unused at present).

According to the article it's B-listed, and the restoration done in the 90's cost about half a million quid (wonder if that was the total cost of restoring all four original stations on the circle though).
Toaster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:11 pm

I have watched the video on Maxwell Park being done up, mind you it wasn't greatly interesting! Maxwell Park is also interesting as it is a ghost station on Microsoft's Autoroute program!

I have got off at Pollokshaws East before and can't say I remembered much about the experience. Shawlands is similar and is huge but fairly low key.

Crookston station is another with the beautiful building now fenced off as housing, and well worse than a bus shelter on the platform. Horrible, toy train line too, which goes knowhere useful, and for some reason stops in Paisley!
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:20 pm

I believe Maxwell Park station used to house a book and magazine shop/stall before it went out of use, would be great to see something happen with it ...not that I've ever had a reason to use the station. Think you might be right about that figure being the cost for all four stations, seems rather high for such a small structure :)
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:48 am

Pollokshaws East Railway Station as pictured in 1969.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:23 am

Was there a not a murder at Shaws East station.I'm sure Jack House wrote of it?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:38 am

cumbo wrote:Was there a not a murder at Shaws East station.I'm sure Jack House wrote of it?

well you know what its like when there isnt enough Metro's to go round.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:15 pm

I came across the following article when trawling through archives, it's about a couple of wimmin trying to torch Shields Road Railway station because we would'nt give them the vote...pah...:wink:

From The Scotsman – Monday 2nd June 1913 :

THE SUFFRAGISTS
--------------------------
A GLASGOW OUTRAGE

ATTEMPT TO BURN RAILWAY STATION

While outrages of the kind with which the militant suffrage movement is associated have been frequent enough in different parts of the country, Glasgow has hitherto escaped, except for a few trifling cases. Up till Saturday night nothing had occurred beyond staining of a few letters in pillar – boxes and one alleged “bomb” which the authorities were inclined to regard as a hoax. On Saturday night, however, a more serious outrage was attempted – the setting fire of Shields Road Station, one of the principal suburban railway stations on the Glasgow and South – Western Railway.

Shortly after eleven o’clock John Barclay, who resides at 152 Watt Street, was passing the station and saw smoke coming from the window of the ladies waiting room on the north platform. He informed the stationmaster, who, with the assistance of the ticket collectors and porters, quickly extinguished the outbreak. It was then discovered that a similar outbreak had occurred in the ladies waiting room on the south platform, and this too was quickly extinguished.

In no other part of the station was any incendiarism detected. In both rooms were found a large quantity of firelighters and of cloth soaked in paraffin. In the south room was found an oil – can, and among the wreckage of the extinguished fire the remains of a candle. Both lavatories were damaged to some extent, but the prompt action of the station staff prevented serious damage and it was not necessary to call the Fire Brigade.

No literature was left in the vicinity to connect the fire with suffragists, but one of the porters saw two women, one apparently about fifty and the other about thirty, coming from the direction of the waiting – room a few minutes before the outbreak of fire was discovered. The time selected was probably not the best, as there were still one or two trains to pass through the station that night, and consequently the station staff were on duty. On many of the trains tickets are collected at Shields Road.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:16 pm

cumbo wrote:Was there a not a murder at Shaws East station.I'm sure Jack House wrote of it?

No, that was at Pollokshields East on the 10th December 1945.

A railwayman burst in to steal from the safe and shot the clerkess and the porter.

He didn't hang because he was deemed insane.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:13 pm

Newspaper clipping from 13th December 1945 which gives details of the death of the second victim of the shootings at Pollokshields East :

Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects