Two from todays photo mission :)

Rutherford MacPherson...
Luco
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:18 pm

Luco wrote:
Rutherford MacPherson...

Roderick A MacPherson from Rutherford & MacPherson.

Not through personal experience I hasten to add! (Google!)
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mr moto » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:04 am

it look,s like something is going on at the riverford road site at last , for the past week or so a company called JB site investigations have been very busy with some serious looking drilling equipment drilling all around the multi and the car park at 21 riverford road . after some investigation on my part , ie i walked over the road and had a good long look , :wink: they are drilling out core samples , i can only think that they are doing this to establish the ground conditions for new buildings foundations . the first multis at riverford road and riverbank street are due for demolition in march , just a few weeks away now .
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:49 pm

Some pictures of the remains of the old pedestrian suspension bridge which at one time spanned the White Cart in Pollok Park, just about where the cricket ground adjoins the tennis court, not far from the Pollokshaws Road entrance.

Plinth and stanchion on the south bank:

Looking towards the north bank [i.e. where the cricket ground is]:

Close-up of the stanchion:

Apparently the bridge was constructed around the time Pollokshaws West Station was built in the late 1840's, mainly for the convenience of estate workers - a path ran from the south bank, linking the bridge with the station. It was in use up to the 2nd World War and dismantled shortly thereafter.

I never knew there had been a bridge there and only found out about this the other week when I went to see the small local history exhibition at Pollokshaws Library. So I decided to go and see what was left.

It would be nice to see a picture of the bridge when it was complete and still in use.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:57 pm

Pollokshaws is one of my favourite photographic subjects. I have spent a lot of time photographing the area over the past 20 years.

'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Peekay » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:57 pm

My Kitten wrote:
yourebarred wrote:when are they knocking down the blocks?

ages away

more here

http://www.futureglasgow.co.uk/demolition_summary.html#Broomhill

That site says March 2007 for 12 Riverford and 21 Riverbank which is, err, last month. They can't be that far off coming doon now.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:13 pm

moved from another extra thread

From Mr Moto
"i just got this, the latest copy of the ,new shaws post newsletter . it show,s this latest artist,s fantasy,,, oop,s i mean, artist,s impression of the new shaws . first the good news, they are looking into the possibility of keeping the sir john stirling maxwell primary school after it closes next year, and using it as a base for various community organisation,s as well as some local council offices , MAYBE ! . so it,s not safe yet . also in the picture i notice that the old pollokshaws steamie and pool is gone ! replaced with new flats ! NOOOO !!! Shocked . and if that was,nt bad enough ! the library has also vanished. sadly it goes on to say that they hope, to start the first new build in the summer.... the summer of 2008 that is . Rolling Eyes so it look,s like we will have to put up with living next to the four soon to be empty multi,s for possibly another year !.also there is no mention of the one building in pollokshaws that all us residents would love to see destroyed, the bloody monstrosity that is the shawbridge shopping arcade . so it could be ,dare i say it, a huge improvement , or another half arsed waste of money and time . new shaws will be having their next annual meeting in the burgh hall,s on the 26,th of june , i will go along and find out more then .

Image"
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:20 pm

I love consultation when the local residents know nothing about whats going on :roll:
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:03 pm

And to think, the second job I applied for at school was to be a Sheriff's Officer. During the height of Poll Tax too.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby barry » Wed May 02, 2007 7:09 pm

JohnR wrote:Pollokshaws is one of my favourite photographic subjects. I have spent a lot of time photographing the area over the past 20 years.

hey there, just wondering at what time you took that photograph. I live in that tenement block and the back street looks deserted! seems quite unusual
barry
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Shawbridge Nursery

Postby dougie79 » Thu May 10, 2007 2:47 pm

I remember when I was just a nipper my mum would take me down to the shawbridge nursery before she went to work.

I loved that little place. In the summer we were out in the little playground with the wee bikes. There was always a fight for those bikes.

Ill never forget when in the playground the lack off staff and complete strangers talking to us over the little fence. Now it has a huge fence round it, sad but a refection of society today.
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mr moto » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:09 pm

i have heard that the demolition is now schedueled for november , and it will be a blow down 8O . here is a pic . if you look to the bottom right you will see just how close the block of maisonettes is to the multi . i find it very hard to believe that they can blow it up, without hitting those maisonettes 8O .
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:14 pm

240 Roystonhill (a 24-storey building) was blown down in 1992 and it was about
as close to some tenements as that one is.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:22 am

mr moto wrote:i have heard that the demolition is now schedueled for november , and it will be a blow down 8O . here is a pic . if you look to the bottom right you will see just how close the block of maisonettes is to the multi . i find it very hard to believe that they can blow it up, without hitting those maisonettes 8O .

Its not going to be November, but it will be a blow down.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mr moto » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:58 pm

My Kitten wrote:
mr moto wrote:i have heard that the demolition is now schedueled for november , and it will be a blow down 8O . here is a pic . if you look to the bottom right you will see just how close the block of maisonettes is to the multi . i find it very hard to believe that they can blow it up, without hitting those maisonettes 8O .

Its not going to be November, but it will be a blow down.

any idea when MK? the reason i am anxious to know is that i would like to sell my place and move on ,but it will be a whole lot easier to sell my tenement flat without a bloody great big abandoned multi just outside my front window :roll: :D
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects