Pollokshaws

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Re:

Postby Peekay » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:34 pm

jaimsiem wrote:
escotregen wrote:My Glaswegian folk memory tells me that the expression 'queer folk from the Shaws' came out of the arrival of the 'foreign' speaking Hugenout
(excuse my spelling) Protestant refugees from hideous persecution in France. Does this tally with any one else's knowledge?

Tally's with me, I'll try to look out a book on the subject

"People who come from Pollokshaws are sometimes referred to as “the Queer Folk” . The saying “the Queer Folk” is
attributed to part of a ballad portraying an irate mother warning her son of the pitfalls of attending ‘The Shaws Races’. The first verse said, “ye may be trod to death beneath the horses paws and mind ye lad the sayings true, there’s queer folk in the Shaws”.
The song was popularised by a well known street singer called Jamie Blue. The races date back to 1754 which was a
time when the Shaws saw an influx of Flemish weavers who brought their skills to the Shaws. When they ventured into
Glasgow or Paisley their particular accent brought about the saying "there’s queer folk in the Shaw’s". So a multicultural
society is nothing new."

Plagarised from the Shaws heritage trail book.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Pollokshaws

Postby mr moto » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:32 pm

the demolition,s are now set for sunday MAY 11,th 2008 .
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deevlash » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:35 am

my birthday!
banned for being a whiny little prick
deevlash
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mr moto » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:14 pm

the demolition company has been very busy these past few week,s . they have begun to demolish the top few floor,s on one side of the multi at 12 riverford road, i wonder just how far down they will go ? . here are the latest pic,s .
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:58 pm

:?: I see they are not bothering to protect the gravestones.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Pookshaws

Postby damnonii » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:29 am

forgive me for barging in, I discovered this thread googling for info on pollokshaws. There's some really interesting stuff here! Since you're all local knowledge buffs wondered if you might be able to help me with a quick question? I was looking at old maps of the area and Pollok/Pollokshaws goes through some interesting variations. Including Pouock, Pook, Pookshaws and Tookshaws. I can see why Pouock could come from a scribal error reading the 2 l's, and how Tookshaws can be an error reading the 'P' in the form Pookshaws, but I'm intrigued by Pook/Pookshaws. I'm about 80% sure it must be a mistake too but wondered, has anyone heard any local pronunciations which might reflect this spelling?
damnonii
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:40 am

Welcome to Hidden Glasgow Damnonii

Which maps are you referring too. I have not seen this spelling on any maps I have seen of the Pollok area.

Like most areas there were variations on the spelling of place names until we reach the modern form. I am sure I read somewhere about the name of Pollok and will see if I can find it and post it up. I'm sure others on here may get in before me.

Hope you enjoy all the other topics and threads here at Hidden Glasgow and look forward to hearing more from you.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby damnonii » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:21 am

Alex Glass wrote:Welcome to Hidden Glasgow Damnonii

Alex Glass wrote:Which maps are you referring too. I have not seen this spelling on any maps I have seen of the Pollok area.

Like most areas there were variations on the spelling of place names until we reach the modern form. I am sure I read somewhere about the name of Pollok and will see if I can find it and post it up. I'm sure others on here may get in before me.

I'm doing a course just now on the Celtic place names of Scotland so I've been looking at all the old maps in the collections of the National Library of Scotland online http://www.nls.uk/maps/index.html
Great fun! (as long as you have your glasses on and a good sense of direction :wink: )

Pollokshaws first appears on Pont's map (late 16thC) as Toockshawes, with N. Pouock to the north.
Again on Gordon's map (1636-52) you have Tookshawis and N. Powok
On Blaeu's map (1654) you have 3 different Pollok's - Pook, Pouck and Poockshawes
Moll (1745) has Pook
Roy (>1745) is the first to have Pollock, Nether Pollock and Pollockshaws

The case is unusual in that its not just a variant spelling with a similar pronunciation. Also I forgot Powock appears as well as Pouock - whereas Pouock could plausibly be scribal error as I said, Powock suggests it might indeed reflect a local pronunciation. :? Might be so ancient though it's no longer known.
damnonii
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Peekay » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:55 am

Is there plans afoot for the block in the background here to come down. It looks nearly deserted/half derelict already!

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:52 pm

Do you think we could use the crane to hang those spelling Pollok with a 'c'? :wink:
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mr moto » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:14 pm

Peekay wrote:Is there plans afoot for the block in the background here to come down. It looks nearly deserted/half derelict already!

PK

yep, that ones due for demolition sometime this year , along with the one behind it on the bank of the river .
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:52 pm

I was wandering down S/bridge St. today being blown off my feet as usually happens as soon as a butterfly flaps it's wings in Japan and wondered if removing the blocks will stop that happening...or is it a natural thing that the blocks don't affect? For those that havn't been there you can be walking up the St. in a howling gale and as soon as you get out either end it totally disappears and the birdies start singing again!

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:12 pm

probably, its the same on kilmarnock road since they built those flats that tesco are in (cobbler advised me of this). I wish they would do something round flats to stop the blow about, I had to assist a young lady up off the road the other day after she was blown over. Poor thing's messages were everywhere. I fear what its like for the elderly.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:17 pm

My Kitten wrote:I had to assist a young lady up off the road

Yer no exactly ready for a free bus pass yourself MK....or are you saying your not a lady? :D

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:31 pm

Peekay wrote:
My Kitten wrote:I had to assist a young lady up off the road

Yer no exactly ready for a free bus pass yourself MK....or are you saying your not a lady? :D

PK

tee hee she appeared to be the same age as me.

Must have a look at the proposed buildings on the wee map that was given out recently (even tho officially they have no idea!) and see if it maybe will help that wind tunnel effect. Maybe it will but on further thought I think as long as Shawbridge Street is that length and so straight it might not be.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects