Pollokshaws

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:30 pm

From the Queer Folk thread...

crusty_bint wrote:The toll house was built to (you guessed it) collect tolls from the newly built Pollokshaws and Barrhead Rd's. These were both built in 1797 to avoid the steep hills to the north and south of Pollokshaws and to bypass the congested village centre. These roads joined up at the afore-mentioned Round Toll, which became a regular stopping place for the Royal Sovereign stagecoach from Irvine and the Levern Trader from Barrhead.

The old tollhouse dates from around 1800 and was extensively restored in 1995 with the lighting being added as part of the same scheme that lights our bridges, the Clyde tidal wier, the roof of theGCBP, and of course, the water towers. Interestingly, at one point the toll house had a license and was much frequented, shall we say, by the racegoers of the Shaws races.

heres a wee quote i found:

The remaining landmarks, the Clock Tower, Burgh Hall, Sir John Maxwell School, the parish church, Round Toll and Auldhouse, are the visible reminders of a community remarkable for its inventiveness, stubbornness and accentricity, a people holding strong and extreme opinions, thrawn, superstitious, ingenious and ingenuous - the Queer Folk of the Shaws

Tolls were abolished in 1883 and after that the toll house was put to various uses including a pub, a carriage hire shop and even a house before finally being vacated.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:55 pm

crusty_bint wrote:1910

That road you see behind the toll house is the original Kennishead Road which followed its present route from Darnley before crossing the Barrhead railway line and curving down to the toll. The road end has now been re-routed to come out onto Barrhead Road just about 50 yard along Barrhead road from the roundabout.

Shawbridge St used to run to the toll house too but it was pushed back to meet Nether Auldhouse Road about 50 yards the other side of the roundabout.

Finally Thornliebank Road which used to run directly onto Nether Auldhouse Road was re-routed to head for the toll house roundabout!
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:39 pm

The beautiful Betty Burns, the illegitimate daughter of Rabbie Burns and Anna Park. She was born in Leith and then moved to Dumfries where Jeanie Armour, the Bard's understanding wife brought her up.

Through marriage she ended up in Pollokshaws, living at various addresses until she died in 1873.

She was buried in the Old Burgh Churchyard in Pollokshaws also known as the Kirk Lane burial ground and rested there in peace until she was exhumed by HG Forummers in February 2006, scanned posted and eventually sold on e-bay....the trial continues. :roll:
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:57 pm

The beautiful Betty Burns

PMSL ::): yer mad soceroo
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:28 pm

A visit to Specsavers needed tomorrow Socceroo!
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:03 pm

Socceroo wrote:Image

The beautiful Betty Burns, the illegitimate daughter of Rabbie Burns and Anna Park. She was born in Leith and then moved to Dumfries where Jeanie Armour, the Bard's understanding wife brought her up.

Get her in the 'Would Ye' thread then!!
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:51 pm

She looks as though someone's just said to her "the doacturrs comin, ah hope you've gote clean drawers oan" 8O ::):
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Schiehallion » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:12 am

She looks to me like she just wants the photographer to finish so she can scratch her baws and hack up a big dod of lung cheese. haaaaaaach!
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:36 pm

Back to your project MY KITTEN

You should start as soon as possible because it's not only the multi's that will be comin down Sir John Maxwell Primary School and Pollokshaws Day Nursery are part of the Council's Pre 12 Strategy. Within the next couple of years they may be gone.

John MacLean came from Pollokshaws. There are a couple of good books I read about him and one had a similar photo of the Round Toll.

I worked for a time in Pollokshaws Day Nursery. There are some very interesting buildings near Shawbridge Arcade. I understand that there are place to redevelope here but they have been taking about that for some time. There was a pub called the Pickwick where the Social Work office is now. The old Salvation Army building I think is a private nursery or it was about 3 years ago.

Pollokshaws Burgh Halls is a fantastic building. There is also the former Council Baths that were sold and became a private Sports Centre.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Pollokshaws

Postby job78989 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:44 pm

Pollokshaws has a long long history, the original Poloc toon was on the banks of the river cart, just in front of Pollok House, when the Maxwells decided to move back to the old castle site from Haggs Castle and build the present day Pollok House, the moved the village to the site of the present pollokshaw.

There is a briliant history book now only available for reference in pollokshaws library, cant remember the author just now but will find out and post later. The old burgh hall built by Maxwell as a community hall, is once again in community hands and has a voluntary committee. The building was not in fact for the old burgh council which used to meet in the toons hoose i.e. the old clock tower.

I believe that the pollokshaw history society is still active and are in the process of puting together some publication. The library will probably know, I will also try to find details for you.

The old cemetary was called the Vennel by the locals and I think the building you identify as the fire station was also a Bank when I was a kid. My father was one of the queer folk.
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:46 pm

Take your point about the loss of some of Nitshills heritage and the condition of our park.

I noticed that work has begun at the cottage but don't know what is happening. I will need to find out. I didn't know the importance of it's history.

As for Billy. No not a Councillor but he is always causing bother in the local area.

Alex
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby riot grrl » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:31 am

I would love to see that book.

My family lived in Pollokshaws until our old tenement place was demolished and we were rehoused in Pollok.

Apparently the 'roundhouse' was used as a house, maybe until sometime in the 60s. My mum said that the Maxwells lived in Pollok house until maybe the 50s or 60s. She also said something about the burgh being a place in its own right and that the Pollokshaws folk had their own sense of identity, as distinct from Glasgow.

We lived in Pollok for 20 years, and I never met another person in Pollok or anyone that I went to school with whose family had moved out from Pollokshaws.
riot grrl
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby job78989 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:29 am

Whats your mothers maiden name?

I still know a few links to the queer folk oh the shaws.

loads of people from the shawhill and rosendale road moved to pollok and househillwood in the 30s & 40s
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Pollokshaws History Books

Postby job78989 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:43 pm

The Book I mentioned in an earlier post is:

McCallum Andew, Pollokshaws Village and Burgh (1925)

Another that may help is:

Rountree George, Old Pollokshaws (2002)

There are several others why not try a search for Pollokshaws as the Keyword at the main Glasgow library catalogue, choose full catalogue and then keyword search, try it here:

Glasgow Library Catalogue

Hope this helps.
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jim » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:29 pm

Try going to Pollokshaws library (Shawbridge St) and asking the staff for 'A History of Pollokshaws' (I think its called?), cant remember the author, also they have a trove of clippings etc thats worth a look.
a pair of stout boots, a stick, and away...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects