Glasgow's Public Address System?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:55 pm

Having worked in both the Forge and Buchanan Galleries shopping centres I can confirm that the latter is wiered in to it, so that shoppers can be alerted while in doors.
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:42 pm

alerted to what?
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:34 pm

I have worked on the Construction of many large public buildings over the years, Schools, Hospitals, Libraries, Shopping Centres, Airport Terminals etc.

I don't recall there ever being fitted specific early warning alarms as such but most if not all of them have been fitted with very elaborate stand alone Public Address systems to be used in the event of an Emergency over and above the usual fire alarms etc.

I think it is more of an insurace requirement in large buildings rather than any specific reason.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:45 pm

Eastgate Centre, Inverness:

'ATTENTION. ATTENTION. THIS IS AN EMERGENCY. PLEASE LEAVE THE BUILDING BY THE NEAREST EXIT, OR AS DIRECTED BY A MEMBER OF OUR STAFF.'

A wee pre recorded wifies voice, but on a PA system as opposed to an alarm going off when there was a 'fire'. In the first 6 months of the new part of the centre opening, the fire alarm went off more than 100 times I think. Or so it said in the paper, I certainly was witness to one practically every week when I was working. Huge problems with that system!! Once there was actually a fire, a teeny wee one when a radio exploded in H&M's stock room!
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:51 pm

The St Nicholas Centre in Aberdeen tests theirs every week, it never failed to scare the crap out of me when I worked there. They have banners that drop down too.

I also worked in the Buchanan Galleries for a while - if you had to evacuate people out of the centre by the back stairs no one would survive - it's like a rabbit warren back there. I got lost for an hour trying to get out one night after hours.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gordon » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:29 pm

the best one is the traffic announcers in Paisley...noticed them for the first time on the way to Love Street on Saturday...."the traffic from the city centre has been ordered to stop".......surely ripe for misuse!
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby motman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:44 pm

Lots of towns in France appear to have public address systems in their main shopping/tourist areas, although the only thing that I've heard from them is music. There's a job for the boys - street music committee. You can imagine the scene.
Convenor to hushed room filled with the high and mighty "And the result of the ballot for next week during the day is ......Jimmy Shand .... followed by.......Oasis at teatime"

The music that is played is usualy shite anyway.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:23 pm

Lots of towns in France appear to have public address systems in their main shopping/tourist areas

They only seem to use them at Christmas for whatever reason. Petit Papa Noel blaring all day long!
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:34 pm

Your lucky Vladimar, in my regular travails around la belle France I've been attacked most public holiday times throughout the year as well with assorted oompah band music (Colmar, Pontarlier, Dole), truly awful 'pop' crap (Lyon, Clermond, Dieppe .... et al). Your convenor must rule his gang-of-four with a tight fist :P
I've suffered the Swiss equivelant of Jimmy Shand in their towns, but you would expect that, I suppose.

I've always wondered if the raison d'etre for these systems was public address or purely public entertainment.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:13 pm

My most recent foray to france saw me enjoying the delights of the local PA system broadcasting what sounded like a brief air-raid warning pretty much every day.

I think its purpose was actually to mark the return of the fishing fleet, as opposed to imminent nuclear armageddon.

I hope :?
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:19 pm

Some towns have factories which sound a short alarm for each new shift

Ths place does anyway...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:07 pm

the speakers were attached to the Hotel de Ville. There werent any factories in the area anyway.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ghiribizzo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:48 pm

After seeing the picture, for a second i thought we'd a Google Earth view of the Paisley Road west area from the late '60s!
ghiribizzo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby motman » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:58 am

Yup, when I was a boy, Fairfields used to sound the hooter at the start and end of each shift, also tea breaks
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby swavmcav » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:29 am

I live in the Wset Endl and I can hear a siren sound several times a day. I presume it must be one of the shipyards changing shifts or something like that. Does anyone know?
swavmcav
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects