Art Deco Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby StevenJ » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:21 pm

james73 wrote:Partick West Station, 2005
James H

don't suppose someone could point out on a map where exactly this was, and in which direction the photo is taken? please?
StevenJ
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:37 pm

Umm who said Crathie Court was influenced by Trellick???

I just said it had a bit of Trellick about it. I was merely highlighting what a perceived was a similarily.

::): I was just moaning about alll the other people who think Trellick was the creator of this stlye.

I might also have misread the post a wee bit as well :oops: :roll:
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:56 pm

My Kitten I know what you meant about Crathie Court having
'a bit of Trellick about it' in the sense that it has something of the style that Trellick worked in.

Then I thought about what Socceroo said about it having something of the Art Deco in it.

... then... I thought about the period it was deigned and built in. Art Deco was well on its way out and Modernism al la Le Corbusier was the big coming thing. When you look at Crathie in this light, it can be seen as on the way from Art Deco and into Modernism.

It was a tragedy for society and the environment that the Modernism thing went wrong and did not work - it was nearly a solution to making industrialised cities contained but balanced and liveable. I think it has been well argued that the problem was that following architects neglected/betrayed Corbusier's humanism and rushed headlong into scale and production-process-led design. If only Art Deco had retained an influence :cry: Instead we ended up with the likes of Trellick. One of my favourite quotes from him is that when defending his Tower and the wreck it became he said:

"I built skyscrapers for people to live in there and now they messed them up- disgusting."

Of course he's not alone in that mindset. We still have many people with it today, and not just architects; there are also people like those who think that the 'schemes' in Glasgow ended up as social disasters 'because of the animals that live in them' (a quote there :) )

A final twist of irony is that after much investment and self management by the tenants that Trellick so despised, Trellick Tower is now:

"a home for the new 'urban cool'... Trellick's debilitating social problems have been largely stamped out and the building has become something of a pop culture icon. In 1998, it was awarded a Grade 2* listing"
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:25 pm

StevenJ wrote:
james73 wrote:Partick West Station, 2005
James H

don't suppose someone could point out on a map where exactly this was, and in which direction the photo is taken? please?

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x ... search.srf

Looks like its taken pointing to Broomhill, ie North West, although if it's looking at the bottom of Thornwood Avenue the new flats seem very close to Dumbarton Road. I'm thinking the low building with the blue gable end is the police station.
Last edited by retired tiger on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AlanM » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:46 pm

Those flats in the background have confused me! If they're the ones on Broomhill drive they shouldn't be in a shot of the Partick West Station site. The western most line is now covered by Partick Police Station and the eastern line is a block of flats. Where the lines crossed Dumbarton road there is a small park and the entrance to the tunnel in the hill has been blocked by a new development of flats.

The other end of the tunnel emerges on the other side of Crow Road between the new flats and the wee industrial units on Clarence Dr.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:54 pm

I thought at first the photo was taken looking North east but the high flats wouldn't have been in shot. The old tenement in the pic has a flat sided turret, so it doesn't look like the one at the bottom of Maule Drive which is round.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:00 pm

Any help?
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:44 pm

It's great to see so much feedback. Crathie Court i have been paying homage to for many years. Many a poor unsuspecting friend has been chucked in the car with a cry of "You have really got to see this building". I believe it was erected in 1953 and features in model form in the Glasgow City Council film "Progress report 1946". I will make a point of photographing my favourite bits of retroGlasgow over the next few weeks.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:43 am

johnnyanglia wrote:I will make a point of photographing my favourite bits of retroGlasgow over the next few weeks.

Sounds like a Hidden Glasgow feature, and not just a thread.
Or, of course, a website all on its own.

:D
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:57 pm

I could not agree more Ronnie, unfortunately i do not have the technical know how to build a website. I would love to be involved in such a project if people were up for it however. I have been wanting to build a website about my other passion(50's & 60's Ford's)for years now.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:50 pm

Have a look at Microsft FrontPage, very good tutorials.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AlanM » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:22 am

retired tiger wrote:Have a look at Microsft FrontPage, very good tutorials.

NOOOOOO, don't do it, most of the web's monstrosities have been created by folk who don't know what they are doing using Front Page. Check out some decent tutorials and then think about taking a course. W3 Schools and Web Monkey both have excellent tutorials pitched at all levels of expertise. When you are starting out its best to use a simple text editor (notepad) to create your pages. HTML-Kit is also very good and offers some bells and whistles along with help files to keep you going in the right direction.

Alan
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:46 pm

And don't forget to ask here when you get stuck. Plenty of people are able to help you out! :wink:
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:51 pm

http://www.gkbuk1.f2s.com

1st attempt at a web site!

FrontPage used :P
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:11 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I was impressed with you site Retired Tiger. I think i will have to go on a course because i really dont have a clue when it comes to computers !
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects