Blue trains / 303s

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby escotregen » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:58 pm

I can just about remember the introduction of the blue trains - and I recall that early on after they were introduced there was a bit of public hysteria about alleged safety worries when some of the train either caught fire or were found to be at risk of catching fire.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:41 pm

escotregen wrote:I can just about remember the introduction of the blue trains - and I recall that early on after they were introduced there was a bit of public hysteria about alleged safety worries when some of the train either caught fire or were found to be at risk of catching fire.

Your quite correct escotregen the railway board of the day circa 1960 (British Railways) had to take them out of traffic and bring back the redundant steam engines that were suposed to have been replaced by these new Electric wonders.

But as it was only 1960! Electricty was still an unknown science even to the boffins of the day :P and due to several spectacular transformer explosions and other mechanical failures. After a bit of problem solving by the technicians they were soon back in service.

This wasn't an uncommon problem throughout their 40 year lifespan and the last known transformer fire took place at Shettleston Station about 4-5 years ago just before the Class 303 units were being replaced by the Alsthom built 334 units. And history repeated itself second time around during the introduction phase of these new trains due to various problems, thankfuly they had over the years managed to stabilise the electrical system. But hadn't banked on computer software problems :roll: .
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:53 pm

Some interesting pictures here:

http://www.eastbank.btinternet.co.uk/303.htm

Used to travel on these trains to get to college in Anniesland in 2001 before I started Uni, they always got me there on time despite the fact that the doors never seemed to work properly!
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects