CR Mackintosh

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:50 am

Alycidon wrote:Excuse me being stupid, but is that door meant to be there, hell of a doorstep.

::): It's not actually a real house, but one built to replicate the house that the Mackintoshes used to live in that got knocked down. You enter the building via the Huntarian Art Gallery entrance on the right of the building. It does look a bit weird when you walk past it.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:32 pm

Sorry meant to post this earlier last week but just to say that it was a great Documentary shown on BBC last sunday 3rd sept on Mr & Mrs Mackintosh and how she inspired him through his work. :)

MR AND MRS MACKINTOSH

Art historians have claimed, in a new BBC documentary, that Charles Rennie Mackintosh's success was due to his collaboration with his wife Margaret Macdonald.

They have called for her significant role in the architect's most famous buidings such as The Glasgow School of Art to be recognised.

The claims made by Pamela Robertson of the Mackintosh Collection and George Ferguson who was formerly President of the Royal Institute of British Architects will be shown in 'Mr and Mrs Mackintosh' next Sunday.

The documentary traces Margaret Macdonald's influence on the young Mackintosh. They met when they were at the GSA. Then together with Macdonald's sister Frances and Herbert McNair they formed the 'Glasgow Four'.

Macdonald influenced his designs for the GSA, the Willow Tea Roooms in Glasgow, Hill House in Helensburgh and the House for an Art Lover in Glasgow.

Mackintosh himself always acknowledged his wife's role saying that he 'only had talent but Margaret had genius'.

Links: http://www.crmsociety.com/eventlist.aspx
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:49 pm

I thought it was really good as well, it gave a bit more insight into the man. I'd like to read all of those letters he sent his wife, he sounded pretty lonely without her.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:33 pm

When I was living in London in the 70s I found that the 'Glasgow Girls' set of artists (that included 'Mrs' Mackintosh) was still well known and well regarded, even though at that time Rennie Mackintosh's reputation had faded almost completely.

I got a few interesting responses when I explained to folks that 'Mrs' Mackintosh was Rennie's wife. These included a proto-feminist of the politically superficial kind accusing me of being a male chauvinist for pushing the reputation of what she held was the 'little-known' male when it was his wife who was the greater artist... I just opened another can of McEwans with the old fashioned can opener.

I found that the poor guy had a ghastly end with cancer (mouth?). He lived for much of that time at Highgate not far from where I was living in London.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:57 pm

escotregen wrote:When I was living in London in the 70s I found that the 'Glasgow Girls' set of artists (that included 'Mrs' Mackintosh) was still well known and well regarded, even though at that time Rennie Mackintosh's reputation had faded almost completely.

I got a few interesting responses when I explained to folks that 'Mrs' Mackintosh was Rennie's wife. These included a proto-feminist of the politically superficial kind accusing me of being a male chauvinist for pushing the reputation of what she held was the 'little-known' male when it was his wife who was the greater artist... I just opened another can of McEwans with the old fashioned can opener.

I found that the poor guy had a ghastly end with cancer (mouth?). He lived for much of that time at Highgate not far from where I was living in London.

That's really interesting, thanks for sharing that. 8) Is their home in London still there?
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:19 pm

I'm pretty certain that the actual property still exists, about two years ago I saw it figuring in a Spanish current affairs programme.

I'm also pretty sure that the Mackintoshes didn't own the property. I think that by that time they were very hard up and it was a close friend or family member who offered them the accomodation.

By the way, another interesting stream for me in the Mackintosh story is the way that as well as the 'Glasgow Girls' being so prominant, it was a redoubtable female that launched the phenomenal Miss Cranston's Tearooms empire in Glasgow.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:29 pm

Ally Doll, sorry but I went to post a fairly full reply, only to be advised that You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while

I didn't think it was 'so soon' and I've never had this message before :? . Anyway I'm brassed off at it and can't be bothered trying agisn as I'm off out for a quick drink... I've left a message on Forum Issues about it....

Gist of my message is that the property still exists but its a complicated background.

Night Night
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:30 pm

That's a shame, thanks anyway! Save the story for another time. Night night!
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:31 pm

Doh! ... then I saw that my previous message had been logged :? :? :?
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:36 pm

Someone told me that Margaret Macdonald designed the Glasgow Corporation Tramways, 20 years service badge (and perhaps other years).
Is this mentioned anywhere in the books ? If so, could you let me know which one.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shazbat » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:46 am

There is a good exhibition on at the Hunterian of Frances MacDonald McNair's (sister of Margaret) work and gives greater insight into the work of the 'spook school'. Frances and Margaret (and Frances' husband Bertie)were very fine artists and their work tends to be overshadowed by that of Mackintosh. Currently running on Sunday afternoons there is a short performance (15 minutes) monologue by 'Frances', which brings life to the history of the group.
Came upon it by chance last Sunday during a wander and it was a very pleasant surprise.
Shazbat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:37 pm

Rennie's hidden gem

IT IS hoped the refurbishment of Queen's Cross Church in Maryhill will help restore the ornate designs, which are trademark Mackintosh, to their former glory

Image Image
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:23 pm

Interesting website on unbuilt Mackintosh. :D

http://www.ozturk.co.uk/unbuiltmackintosh/welcome.htm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Anorak » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:28 am

To make up for the lack of boring topics on these forums, I’ve been out with the camera looking at more Mackintosh towers

Queen’s Cross was brilliant fifty years after. I should really cross the Clyde now and again!

Unfortunately because the Lighthouse was an industrial building there were very few period pieces worth preserving inside it. I only venture into it when there is an occasional exhibition which is of interest to old codgers and complete anoraks! Externally, I took this picture of the observation tower on the same sunny day as I took the GoMA tower. Image

Scotland Street Museum looked good in the cold, better shots than I would have got in better weather.

I’m still puzzling for somewhere to get an angle on the tower of the Daily Record Building on Renfield Lane to complete the set.
A bit of an uninteresting quest for any other anorak out there?
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: CR Mackintosh

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:32 pm

Daily Record, 20-28 Renfield Lane,
1900-1, Charles Rennie Macintosh
A tall printing works of white brick, clasped by stone trim at top and bottom, composed skilfully to show to advantage in a narrow lane; boldly arched ground floor; fourth-floor oriel windows, to give movement over the pilastered intermediate floors; and dormer windows and angle turrets against the shy. The north elevation to St Vincent Lane displays the triangular tree motif which was to be the basis of so much of his detail at Derngate, Northampton, in 1915.

Restored recently by the Miller Partnership.

Renfield Lane

St Vincent Lane

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects