Apollo - Greens Playhouse

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Apollo - Greens Playhouse

Postby robertpool » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:10 pm

I can't seem to find the Apollo website...has it been taken to the greater website in the sky?

Bobby
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:01 am

It has gone possibly temporary but it was a badly organised and out of date site from the start.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Scotty100 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:06 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:It has gone possibly temporary but it was a badly organised and out of date site from the start.

I know it was by far an inferior site to the ones that you have produced Mrs St Clair. Perhaps you could point us in the direction, or even provide a link to your far superior site and allow us to provide feed back with similar constructive criticism.
Scotty100
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:28 am

Scotty100 wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:It has gone possibly temporary but it was a badly organised and out of date site from the start.

I know it was by far an inferior site to the ones that you have produced Mrs St Clair. Perhaps you could point us in the direction, or even provide a link to your far superior site and allow us to provide feed back with similar constructive criticism.

Sensitive rock fans Don't you just love them, it's the contributors fault never the arseholes who claim full copyright on the contributions they've been given and then give them to Martin Keilty for publication without crediting the original authors.

The just as sensitive Glasband 80 have got a superior site.

Another Scottish venue The Kinema has a superior site.

Rocking Scots still a clunky site in certain aspects but superiorThey lose ten points for having a tartan backdrop.

Retro Dundee which covers more than the music scene is superior.

What the Apollo Memories site had going for it was the memories of fans which meant it was a great reference for who appeared (or didn't appear) at the Apollo, a great ticket collection also submitted by fans and memories which were treated like shit by being placed on a forum which couldn't indicate what were new contributions and, couldn't be properly searched.

Mind you thanks for the facebook page it shows you how bad the site was.

Of course your site is that superior it's disappeared.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Scotty100 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:20 am

I would like to point out that I have no affiliation with the Apollo website. I am just a guy who regularly frequented the Apollo and Clouds Discotheque. I enjoyed the nostalgic memories of a once great venue and that website helped.
I take it from your reply the "superior" sites you have linked are the work of your own fair hands.
Scotty100
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby beneld » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:23 am

https://twitter.com/#!/ahaufstop
http://ahaufstop.blogspot.com
beneld
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:01 pm

[quote="Scotty100"]I would like to point out that I have no affiliation with the Apollo website. I am just a guy who regularly frequented the Apollo and Clouds Discotheque. I enjoyed the nostalgic memories of a once great venue and that website helped.
I take it from your reply the "superior" sites you have linked are the work of your own fair hands.[/quote}

Aye, right Scott. Using your sophisticated eye and your winsome way with words perhaps you could the underline the particular high lights of the web design of Apollo Memories.

Is it a simple website that delivers information about the Apollo, or is it a bit too complex which does not provide a first-class service by making it particularly difficult to perform simple searches?

"There is more to web design than just pretty pictures... It's about design, style, the presentation of your product and most importantly, promotion to ensure that your site attracts the correct traffic." Did the designers underestimate the the popularity of the site and not anticipate how memories would be added and amended. That's not reflected in the design.

PS how are your screen plays developing?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby edward carolan » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:32 pm

Saucers of milk for the pair of you. Don't snipe at each other, its neither big nor funny. Behave.
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:27 am

edward carolan wrote:Saucers of milk for the pair of you. Don't snipe at each other, its neither big nor funny. Behave.

I take it you've written a similar note to Prince Charles when he get caught up in a spirited debate about the merits of certain styles of architecture. You've contributed opinions but maybe not had to defend them. I presume Bankie Boy will ask if you are Ban Ki Moon and of course particularly experienced in mediation.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:05 pm

regarding the movement of the balcony when everyone jumped up and down as far as i can recall during the building of greens playhouse george green was told the dance hall on the top floor of the building wouldnt take the weight of patrons dancing and to prove it would he had four cement mixers placed on the floor overnight to prove that the floor was safe.
concrete had just started being used in the building of cinemas and theatres in the late 20's early 30's called if i recall correctly ferrocrete a similair claim was made about the safety of the balcony in the plaza theatre in hilltown dundee and to prove its safety cement mixers were left on the balcony overnight and when measured the balcony had only dropped by 3 inches with the weight and the balcony was passed as safe for using :D
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mjw » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:57 pm

To most of us that visited the Apollo before it closed it wasn't the building that we remember but the experience of the being in the crowd. I was only in there once in Dec 84 when me and my mate saw Gary Numan, think it was only a fiver still got the stub. The building could've been any but I can still remember certain parts of the evening that do not rely on the building itself but the feeling of my first concert, still can't believe my friend sold his programme whilst still in the place. Got the bootleg years later from the barras.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:45 am

you can find some OLD Green's Playhouse and Apollo programmes and tickets here; some as old as 1943

Bobby

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool ... 057891251/
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:11 am

This must have been Green's Playhouse best gig ever .... Hi-Ho Silver Away .... 12th August 1958. With the weans being on holiday l bet it was mobed. I also have an autographed photo but i'm dammed if l can find the bloody thing right now. ::):

another little treasure from my collection.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:24 am

roy rogers would have took him.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:43 am

he might have sang him to death but that's as close as it would have came, Roy had Dale and the main man had Tonto ... no contest :)
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects