Apollo - Greens Playhouse

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Apollo - Greens Playhouse

Postby Doug » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:19 pm

calamity wrote:Never in the Apollo but was in it as a picture house in the early 70s.. I think I was only in there twice, it was massive.. and my wee ma used to go to the dancing there too during the war... and see all the big bands..

Started off life I believe as Greens Playhouse and was I think the biggest picture house (cinema) in Britain, if not Europe. I recall my dad talking about being seated "in the Gods" which was the top tier of seating and he said you were so high up you felt as though you were about to topple off the balcony into the auditorium below, very scary he said !!
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby teejay212 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:15 pm

I have great memories of working as a bouncer in the Penthouse disco above the Apollo in the late 70's /early 80's - with my Black velvet jacket and black velvet bow tie I certainly looked the part !! :) The manager's name was Alec Rankin. Entry was by the small door on Renfrew St I think from memory - then it was up in the lift to the pay kiosk and then into the main disco area - I remember everyone used to walk round the circular dance floor and at the end of the night you could either exit via the lift or go down the fire escape - can't remember how many floors - but I remember lot of patron's who pee'd in the fire escape on leaving - ah The good old days !!!
teejay212
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Doug » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:17 pm

teejay212 wrote:I have great memories of working as a bouncer in the Penthouse disco above the Apollo in the late 70's /early 80's - with my Black velvet jacket and black velvet bow tie I certainly looked the part !! :) The manager's name was Alec Rankin. Entry was by the small door on Renfrew St I think from memory - then it was up in the lift to the pay kiosk and then into the main disco area - I remember everyone used to walk round the circular dance floor and at the end of the night you could either exit via the lift or go down the fire escape - can't remember how many floors - but I remember lot of patron's who pee'd in the fire escape on leaving - ah The good old days !!!

Hi teejay

Those were the days weren't they. On the previous page to this one I posted how I used to be a steward a the White Elephant disco which was owned by the same owner of the Apollo, Frank Lynch. I was sent to steward at the Apollo quite a few times and I have to say it could be damned hard work. Good fun when I look back on it now. Cheers
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu May 15, 2014 8:43 am

dimairt wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:
dimairt wrote:Didn't the Lone Ranger ride Silver up the Maryhill Rd to visit Eastpark Children's Home, calling in at the Blythswood Cinema on the way?

Durachdan,

Eddy

PS Terrific, I've never heard of this. Can we be sure though that it was Clayton Moore making the visit?

Stop teasing pensioners,

Yesterday's Evening Times carried a picture of Clayton Moore, as the Lone Ranger, at Green's Playhouse in 1958 to publicise his latest film, "The Lone Ranger and the City of Gold."
The article describes him meeting three competition winners and says that he was a big hit with the kids. It goes on to say that "He reportedly caused even more of a stir when he rode way out west, riding his horse Silver, up Maryhill RD to visit Eastpark Children's Home, stopping off at the Blythswood Cinema en-route."
One of these days I'm going to write up this saga. However, we now have Roy and Trigger doing this, the Lone Ranger and Silver as well as , according to Donovan, Hopalong Cassidy and Topper. In the meantime, I'm off to upset some pensioners on Glasgow Guide.

Happy Trails,

Eddy

Too late,. Now written on Stone. Image
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Thu May 15, 2014 12:58 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
dimairt wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:
dimairt wrote:Didn't the Lone Ranger ride Silver up the Maryhill Rd to visit Eastpark Children's Home, calling in at the Blythswood Cinema on the way?

Durachdan,

Eddy

PS Terrific, I've never heard of this. Can we be sure though that it was Clayton Moore making the visit?

Stop teasing pensioners,

Yesterday's Evening Times carried a picture of Clayton Moore, as the Lone Ranger, at Green's Playhouse in 1958 to publicise his latest film, "The Lone Ranger and the City of Gold."
The article describes him meeting three competition winners and says that he was a big hit with the kids. It goes on to say that "He reportedly caused even more of a stir when he rode way out west, riding his horse Silver, up Maryhill RD to visit Eastpark Children's Home, stopping off at the Blythswood Cinema en-route."
One of these days I'm going to write up this saga. However, we now have Roy and Trigger doing this, the Lone Ranger and Silver as well as , according to Donovan, Hopalong Cassidy and Topper. In the meantime, I'm off to upset some pensioners on Glasgow Guide.

Happy Trails,

Eddy

clayton muir and silver also made an appearance at the dundee greens playhouse and also visited the childrens ward at the dundee royal infirmary and am sure greens were running his film at dundee as the greens sometimes did that hired two copies of the same film to run at glasgow and dundee playhouses
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu May 15, 2014 8:16 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
dimairt wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:

Durachdan,

Eddy

Stop teasing pensioners,

Happy Trails,

Eddy

Brilliant stuff! I helped out with a few local history projects recently and was asked about this story, advising that it wasn't true. I was told that it was 'too good a story' to leave out.
I heard recently that the Beatles visited Eastpark in 1964 after popping into..... yes, you've guessed it, the Blythswood.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects