Kelvingrove Cafe

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Fossil » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:24 pm

KonstantinL the building (on the left) replaced the market and the other buildings on this side of the block

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby KonstantinL » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:28 am

Woooo! I don't even recognise the street. It looks like the whole row of buildings have been demolished.

I might have a wander round that area today on my way up to the Belle & Sebastian concert. It's a long walk from Brighton Station to Botanics but what the hey.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:12 pm

It's St. Vincent St just befor the Sandyford Post Office. I was in it about 2 months ago, it's gutted with no floor, and nothing to see realy. I'm sure it was opened right up untill the early 80's (could be mistaken), my mum used to take me into a cafe when I was a wee boy, and the only other one is Petes across from Cranstonhill Police Station?
If no body's perfect, why practise?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:13 am

Ronnie wrote:I once had a filthy Chinese meal in the corner shop ...

Would that have been when it was the "Golden City" restaurant? Strangely, although living along the road for a number of years in the early to mid 90s, i don't recall it being anything but derelict. However as far as i can work out, the businesses stopped trading in 1994, but the tenements above may have been vacated earlier. Or not.
dazza
-
-

Re: Kelvingrove Cafe

Postby myfriendstan » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:12 pm

This is reopening this weekend.
myfriendstan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:43 am

..... and closing?

A 127-year-old ex-ice cream parlour that was restored to its former glory as a cafe bar, winning plaudits and a top gong at the Scottish Restaurant Awards in the process, has shut down after falling foul of licensing red-tape.

The popular Kelvingrove Cafe in Argyle Street, Glasgow, has been forced to call last orders temporarily after the city's environmental health officers found no sink for chefs to wash their hands. It did not have the appropriate requirements in place to sell alcohol, which included an extensive craft beer, whisky and wine list.

It will be closed until August unless an application can be prepared and submitted in time for Friday's final hearing of the Glasgow's licensing board. The hearing is the last before the summer recess.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home ... s.21421497
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:51 pm

having no basic hygene facilities is not what i would deem to be a red tape offence. :oops:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects