Phantom streets on the Glasgow A to Z?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Vladimir » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:09 am

People forget though that at the time people who lived in places like Townhead were protesting constantly for the demolition of their homes and for new flats, in any form, to be built. When you see film of kids playing in the quagmire that was the streets of these slum areas you can see their point. Glasgow actually needed quick solutions, it would have taken too long to refurbish all the slums (which were not west end tenements by any stretch of the imagination).
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:58 pm

McShad wrote:They should never have built them in the first place.... there was no reason to knock Townhead down... I know they wanted to clear the slums, but the tenement blocks would outlast anything!
The one I'm in now has outlived everything else including the shanty town style post-war buildings lying empty round the corner

My friend lived in Glebe Street (across from St Mungo's) and their house was falling around their ears in the early 50's. The tenements built here were of poor quality unlike those built further along in Dennistoun where a bit more money was spent on the fabric of the building. Many of the tenements in Townhead were literally falling down before being pulled down. They had to go but what they put in their place was, well, just a travesty to architecture. High rises are never a good idea, anywhere.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:50 pm

High rises are never a good idea, anywhere.

Unless rich people live in them 8O :? ::):
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:48 pm

Vladimir wrote:Strange thing is, that looks like one of the scenes from the planners original drawings of the redevelopment, weird 8O ::): That bit of the city centre annoys me. Its not nearly dense enough with buildings, theres too much open area. The high rises should have been built with maybe 10 floor tall buildings alongside, more what there is built at Cowcaddens. I suppose its not too late for a second redevelopment to get rid of the annoying wee blocks, that totally do not suit the high rises they are build with :?

WTF?!? I live in those "annoying wee blocks" - just knock doon my house and
build some more fukkin towerblocks, eh? Image Image

"too much open area" - ??? Dear Green Place, eh? Image

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:47 am

WTF?!? I live in those "annoying wee blocks" - just knock doon my house and
build some more fukkin towerblocks, eh?

"too much open area" - ??? Dear Green Place, eh?

You do know the area Im talking about :?: Its where the city effectively ends... They did the exact same in Sighthill, they built these huge high rises then nothing around them but miles of grass/mud. Does it not feel a bit weird living in a suburban flat right next to the city centre :?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:12 am

Vladimir wrote:You do know the area Im talking about :?: Its where the city effectively ends...

Yes - I live there...

Vladimir wrote:They did the exact same in Sighthill, they built these huge high rises then nothing around them but miles of grass/mud.

Sighthill and Townhead are vastly different.

Vladimir wrote:Does it not feel a bit weird living in a suburban flat right next to the city centre :?

No - why should it? What do you want? The city centre to continue ad infinitum? :roll:

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:36 pm

Sighthill and Townhead are vastly different.

True, Townhead is far more popular. But the concept was the same. Open space was the idea, with smaller tenements around the high rises, but in Townhead it seems to be an uncomfortable fit between open and not open. Its not a park but not excactly fully built up. The flats you live in do not match the modernist stuff all around, thats all I was saying (if it was a personal attack Id be contacting the planner). :roll:

No - why should it? What do you want? The city centre to continue ad infinitum? Rolling Eyes

No, I reckon the city centre ends at the M8, the Clyde in the South and around the Gallowgate in the west, basically anything inside what the inner ring road was supposed to be. Another thing that annoys me about Townhead is the way the grid street pattern ends and becomes this huge loop. It differs slightly in Cowcaddens but in Townhead it becomes chaos...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Paper Hankie » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:46 am

Google Maps have managed to rename the Forth and Clyde canal as the River Kelvin from Clydebank to Bowling Harbour
Paper Hankie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby ghiribizzo » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:10 am

:? It reappears as the river again as it winds it's way around 'Inverquhomery Road'. 'Henge' around Drumchapel-ish? I dunno...
ghiribizzo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:26 pm

Although I do have to admit liking the option to have the occasional pop at Google, the map data comes from an organisation called Tele Atlas. I thought a quote from their web site's opening page may be of interest, if only for a bit of a laught given the number of the above observations.
Welcome to Tele Atlas. We are the global leader in innovation and experience in the field of digital mapping. Our commitment to continuous improvement in coverage, accuracy, timeliness and quality keeps us ahead of the field. And, we are the most responsive and collaborative business partner you could have. We are truly “the living reference in digital mapping worldwide.”

When it Really Counts, Count on Tele Atlas
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bigross » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:35 pm

Although these phantom street names appear on online maps and especially satnav systems, there are certain streets which are not signposted, but appear on maps and do seem to exist. A good one is Mary Street, with a business, Loxley Colour having their address as number 5. This is at the top of High Craighall Road.
Which of the other strange ones in the Glasgow A-Z book (i.e. Cooper Lane, Fancett Place, Riggend Street and Wigton Street) are legitimate (or not)?
bigross
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby pwm437 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:18 pm

Wyper Place off Gallowgate still features in some current A to Z's, and it is little more than a cul-de-sac on the right hand side of the Bellgrove Hotel.
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:20 pm

Was looking at multi-map and the WHOLE of Great Western Road was marked as Inverquhomery Road (Between St Georges Cross and Drumchapel)!? This seems a mighty big, well known road to slip in as a phantom!?

http://tinyurl.com/glwf7

Sorry for the massive url!!

ADMIN EDIT URL
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:33 am

They look as if they are getting their street names from Google Earth! ::):
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:50 pm

cheesylion wrote:Was looking at multi-map and the WHOLE of Great Western Road was marked as Inverquhomery Road (Between St Georges Cross and Drumchapel)!? This seems a mighty big, well known road to slip in as a phantomL

Multimap - and google earth - are now using Teleatlas as their source of mapping data - which, in Glasgow, is pretty much bollocks as the above post proved.

I've tried reporting that fact to the mapping company on several occaisons with no luck ... they honestly don't seem to care that they are making up names for several of Glasgow's most important streets in the west end - for example, University Avenue is 'Chewton Way', Maryhill Road turns into 'Beckman Street' halfway up, and so on....

Google also shows a rail tunnel between Central and Queen street - either they know something we don't, or it's pure nonsense....!
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects